Originally from Kansas City, Missouri, Dr. Hegde holds a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and computer science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She earned her medical degree at the University of Kansas School of Medicine and completed internal medicine residency training at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, Dr. Hegde joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2012.
In addition to her other roles, Dr. Hegde is Director of Patient Safety and Quality Improvement in the Division of Hospital Medicine at Parkland Memorial Hospital, a position that aligns perfectly with her clinical and academic interests, which include serving underserved populations; improving health care disparities, access to care for the underserved, and transitions in care; and quality improvement.
She is a member of the Society of Hospital Medicine. In 2021, she was named Physician of the Year by Parkland Health & Hospital System.
- Medical School
- University of Kansas School of Medicine (2009)
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (2012), Internal Medicine
- In vitro methylation of nuclear respiratory factor-2 binding sites suppresses the promoter activity of the human TOMM70 gene.
- Blesa JR, Hegde AA, Hernández-Yago J Gene 2008 Dec 427 1-2 58-64
- Catch-up growth after hypothyroidism is caused by delayed growth plate senescence.
- Marino R, Hegde A, Barnes KM, Schrier L, Emons JA, Nilsson O, Baron J Endocrinology 2008 Apr 149 4 1820-8
- Spatial and temporal regulation of GH-IGF-related gene expression in growth plate cartilage.
- Parker EA, Hegde A, Buckley M, Barnes KM, Baron J, Nilsson O J. Endocrinol. 2007 Jul 194 1 31-40
- Fibroblast growth factor expression in the postnatal growth plate.
- Lazarus JE, Hegde A, Andrade AC, Nilsson O, Baron J Bone 2007 Mar 40 3 577-86
- Fabrication and biocompatibility of polypyrrole implants suitable for neural prosthetics.
- George PM, Lyckman AW, LaVan DA, Hegde A, Leung Y, Avasare R, Testa C, Alexander PM, Langer R, Sur M Biomaterials 2005 Jun 26 17 3511-9
Honors & Awards
- Physician of the Year
Parkland Health & Hospital System (2021)
- Medical Student Teaching Award
UT Southwestern (2017)
- Patient Safety Champion
Parkland Health & Hospital System (2016)
- Elmer Hinton Award
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (2011)
- Society of Hospital Medicine