Dr. Thomas was born in the United Arab Emirates and attended Medical School in Moscow, Russian Federation. He then worked for several years in India as a General Practitioner before moving to the United States and undergoing his residency training in Internal Medicine as well as his fellowship in Nephrology and Hypertension at New York Hospital Queens – a teaching affiliate of Weill Cornell Medical College. Besides his clinical interests in the subjects of fluid and electrolyte balance, Dr. Thomas brings to UTSW firsthand knowledge of the healthcare systems in four different countries and experience working on hospital workflow/quality improvement projects especially in the fields of physician service handoffs and electronic medical records. He has a keen interest in the evolving role of Hospitalists in the healthcare system and with special emphasis on their impact on efficient delivery of care and medical education.
Dr. Thomas is an avid foodie and traveler, loves tinkering with technology and likes to spend most of his time outside of work with his extended family and friends
- Medical School
- Russian State Medical University (1998)
- New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens (2007), Internal Medicine
- New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens (2011), Nephrology
- Involuntary discharge from dialysis units
- Physician handoff
- Saliva for use with a point of care assay for the rapid diagnosis of COVID-19.
- SoRelle JA, Mahimainathan L, McCormick-Baw C, Cavuoti D, Lee F, Thomas A, Sarode R, Clark AE, Muthukumar A, Clinica chimica acta; international journal of clinical chemistry 2020 Sep
- Choosing Unwisely.
- Thomas AK, AMA J Ethics 2020 Sep 22 9 E816-817
- Annals Graphic Medicine - Progress?
- Thomas AK, Annals of internal medicine 2020 Sep 173 6 W120-W121
- Game-Based Medicine.
- Thomas AK, AMA journal of ethics 2020 Jul 22 7 E636-638
- Web Exclusive. Annals Graphic Medicine - Modern Medicine.
- Thomas AK, Annals of internal medicine 2020 Feb 172 4 W63
Mentoring a vulnerable cohort for success: the special case of the foreign medical graduate, mentoring in academic medicine
Reichert Sf, Thomas AK, (2010). ACP Press
Honors & Awards
- Joe Dwek Teacher of the Year Award
Senior resident teaching award at New York Hospital Queens (2007)
- National Kidney Foundation (2010)
- American Society of Nephrology (2009)