Born in Abu Dhabi, Dr. Thomas earned his medical degree in Moscow. He completed internal medicine residency training and a fellowship in nephrology at New York Hospital Queens. He was Chief Resident.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, Dr. Thomas joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2012.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Thomas is the Medical Director of the Division of Hospital Medicine at University Hospitals.
Dr. Thomas is an avid foodie and traveler, loves tinkering with technology, and likes to spend most of his time outside of work with his extended family and friends.
- Medical School
- Russian State Medical University (1998)
- New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens (2007), Internal Medicine
- New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens (2011), Nephrology
- Involuntary discharge from dialysis units
- Physician handoff
- Web Exclusive. Annals Graphic Medicine - A Series of Unfortunate Events.
- Thomas AK, Ann Intern Med 2021 Feb 174 2 W22-W23
- Optimizing Discharge Summaries: A Multispecialty, Multicenter Survey of Primary Care Clinicians.
- Silver AM, Goodman LA, Chadha R, Higdon J, Burton M, Palabindala V, Jonnalagadda N, Thomas A, O'Donnell C, J Patient Saf 2020 Dec Publish Ahead of Print
- Saliva for use with a point of care assay for the rapid diagnosis of COVID-19.
- SoRelle JA, Mahimainathan L, McCormick-Baw C, Cavuoti D, Lee F, Thomas A, Sarode R, Clark AE, Muthukumar A, Clinica chimica acta; international journal of clinical chemistry 2020 Sep
- Choosing Unwisely.
- Thomas AK, AMA J Ethics 2020 Sep 22 9 E816-817
- Annals Graphic Medicine - Progress?
- Thomas AK, Annals of internal medicine 2020 Sep 173 6 W120-W121
- Game-Based Medicine.
- Thomas AK, AMA journal of ethics 2020 Jul 22 7 E636-638
- Web Exclusive. Annals Graphic Medicine - Modern Medicine.
- Thomas AK, Annals of internal medicine 2020 Feb 172 4 W63
Mentoring a vulnerable cohort for success: the special case of the foreign medical graduate, mentoring in academic medicine
Reichert Sf, Thomas AK, (2010). ACP Press
Honors & Awards
- Joe Dwek Teacher of the Year Award
Senior resident teaching award at New York Hospital Queens (2007)
- American Society of Nephrology (2009)
- National Kidney Foundation (2010)