Marco Pinho, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Neuroradiology Division. His clinical interests include cross-sectional imaging of neurological diseases and oncologic imaging.
Dr. Pinho earned his medical degree at Universidade Estadual De Campinas in São Paulo, Brazil. He completed his radiology residency at Universidade De São Paulo, where he also received advanced training through a fellowship in neuroradiology. He also completed a research fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Dr. Pinho’s research is currently focused on the development and validation of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques to evaluate central nervous system malignancies, and response assessment in clinical trials in collaboration with basic scientists, neuro-oncologists, and neurosurgeons at UT Southwestern. He has published multiple articles, reports, and reviews.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Pinho serves on several committees, including the Radiology Resident Selection Committee, the Clinical Competency Committee, the Brain Tumor Committee, and the Intracranial Pressure Disorder IPT.
A dedicated educator, Dr. Pinho serves as the Associate Program Director of the Radiology Residency Program, and also coordinates the Global Health Teleradiology program.
Dr. Pinho is an active member of national and international professional organizations, including the Radiological Society of North America, the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, the American Society of Neuroradiology, the American Society of Spine Radiology, the American Society of Functional Neuroradiology, and the Sociedade Paulista de Radiologia.
- Medical School
- Universidade Estadual De Campinas (2002)
- Instituto de Radiologia, Hospital das Clinicas da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo (2006), Diagnostic Radiology
- Instituto de Radiologia - Hospital das Clinicas - Univ. de Sao Paulo (2007), Neuroradiology
- A.A. Martinos Ctr. for Biomedical Imaging (2011), Neuroradiology
- Central Nervous System Neoplasms
- Computed Tomography
- Head and Neck Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Neurovascular Disease
- Proton T2 measurement and quantification of lactate in brain tumors by MRS at 3 Tesla in vivo.
- Madan A, Ganji SK, An Z, Choe KS, Pinho MC, Bachoo RM, Maher EM, Choi C Magn Reson Med 2014 Jul
- Assessment of irradiated brain metastases using dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging.
- Almeida-Freitas DB, Pinho MC, Otaduy MC, Braga HF, Meira-Freitas D, da Costa Leite C Neuroradiology 2014 Mar
- Low incidence of pseudoprogression by imaging in newly diagnosed glioblastoma patients treated with cediranib in combination with chemoradiation.
- Pinho MC, Polaskova P, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Jennings D, Emblem KE, Jain RK, Rosen BR, Wen PY, Sorensen AG, Batchelor TT, Gerstner ER Oncologist 2014 19 1 75-81
- Improved tumor oxygenation and survival in glioblastoma patients who show increased blood perfusion after cediranib and chemoradiation.
- Batchelor TT, Gerstner ER, Emblem KE, Duda DG, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Snuderl M, Ancukiewicz M, Polaskova P, Pinho MC, Jennings D, Plotkin SR, Chi AS, Eichler AF, Dietrich J, Hochberg FH, Lu-Emerson C, Iafrate AJ, Ivy SP, Rosen BR, Loeffler JS, Wen PY, Sorensen AG, Jain RK Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2013 Nov 110 47 19059-64
- In vivo detection of citrate in brain tumors by (1) H magnetic resonance spectroscopy at 3T.
- Choi C, Ganji SK, Madan A, Hulsey KM, An Z, Zhang S, Pinho MC, Deberardinis RJ, Bachoo RM, Maher EA Magn Reson Med 2013 Oct
- Machine learning in pre-operative glioma MRI: Survival predictions by perfusion-based SVM outperforms traditional MRI
- Emblem KE, Due-Tonnessen P, Hald JK, Bjornerud A, Pinho MC, Scheie D, Schad LR, Meling TR, Zoellner FG JMRI 2013 Epub
- Intermediate pilomyxoid astrocytoma and diencephalic syndrome: imaging findings.
- Nakamura OK, Pinho Mda C, Odone Filho V, Rosemberg S Einstein (Sao Paulo) 2012 Apr-Jun 10 2 236-8
- Perforated diverticulitis of the appendix: ultrasonographic diagnosis
- Lourenço RB, Pinho MC, Schraibman V, Macedo ALV, Neto MJF, Funari MBG Einstein 2011 9 1 75-7
- Interhemispheric asymmetry of corticomotor excitability after chronic cerebellar infarcts.
- Farias da Guarda SN, Cohen LG, da Cunha Pinho M, Yamamoto FI, Marchiori PE, Scaff M, Conforto AB Cerebellum 2010 Sep 9 3 398-404
- Further diffusion tensor imaging contribution in horizontal gaze palsy and progressive scoliosis.
- Otaduy MC, Leite Cda C, Nagae LM, Pinho Mda C, Bueno C, Reed UC, Kok F Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2009 Dec 67 4 1054-6
White Matter Diseases and Inborn Error of Metabolism. In Diagnostic Imaging of Encephalic Diseases
Leite CC, Nagae LM, Pinho MC, Kay FU, Martins MCB, Amaral RPG, Kok F (2008). Sao Paulo, Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
Parapharyngeal Space. In Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging of the Head and Neck
Gebrim EMMS, Pinho MC (2010). Sao Paulo - Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
Intra-axial Brain Tumors. In Diagnostic Imaging of Encephalic Diseases 2nd Edition
Leite CC, Pinho MC, Garcia MR, Martins MCB, Pincerato RCM, Felix MM, Shibao S, Lucato LT (2010). Sao Paulo - Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
Angiotomography of the cervical and intracranial arteries. In Cardiovascular CT and MRI
Pinho MC, Kay FU (2013). Sao Paulo, Brazil, Manole
Abdominal Sonographic Anatomy. In Abdominal Sonography
Kay FU, Pinho MC, Amaro Jr E, Bordalo-Rodrigues M, Kodaira SK (2009). Sao Paulo - Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
- American Society of Functional Neuroradiology (2017)
- American Society of Spine Radiology (2016)
- American Society of Neuroradiology (2013)
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2013)
- Radiological Society of North America (2003)