Marco Pinho, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Neuroradiology Division. His clinical interests include cross-sectional imaging of neurological diseases and oncologic imaging.
Dr. Pinho earned his medical degree at Universidade Estadual De Campinas in São Paulo, Brazil. He completed his radiology residency at Universidade De São Paulo, where he also received advanced training through a fellowship in neuroradiology. He also completed a research fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Dr. Pinho’s research is currently focused on the development and validation of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques to evaluate central nervous system malignancies, and response assessment in clinical trials in collaboration with basic scientists, neuro-oncologists, and neurosurgeons at UT Southwestern. He has published multiple articles, reports, and reviews.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Pinho serves on several committees, including the Radiology Resident Selection Committee, the Clinical Competency Committee, the Brain Tumor Committee, and the Intracranial Pressure Disorder IPT.
A dedicated educator, Dr. Pinho serves as the Associate Program Director of the Radiology Residency Program, and also coordinates the Global Health Teleradiology program.
Dr. Pinho is an active member of national and international professional organizations, including the Radiological Society of North America, the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, the American Society of Neuroradiology, the American Society of Spine Radiology, the American Society of Functional Neuroradiology, and the Sociedade Paulista de Radiologia.
- Medical School
- Universidade Estadual De Campinas (2002)
- Instituto de Radiologia, Hospital das Clinicas da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo (2006), Diagnostic Radiology
- Instituto de Radiologia - Hospital das Clinicas - Univ. de Sao Paulo (2007), Neuroradiology
- A.A. Martinos Ctr. for Biomedical Imaging (2011), Neuroradiology
- Central Nervous System Neoplasms
- Computed Tomography
- Head and Neck Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Neurovascular Disease
- Multiparametric estimation of brain hemodynamics with MR fingerprinting ASL.
- Su P, Mao D, Liu P, Li Y, Pinho MC, Welch BG, Lu H Magn Reson Med 2016 Dec
- Cerebrovascular reactivity mapping without gas challenges.
- Liu P, Li Y, Pinho M, Park DC, Welch BG, Lu H Neuroimage 2016 Nov
- Computer-Extracted Texture Features to Distinguish Cerebral Radionecrosis from Recurrent Brain Tumors on Multiparametric MRI: A Feasibility Study.
- Tiwari P, Prasanna P, Wolansky L, Pinho M, Cohen M, Nayate AP, Gupta A, Singh G, Hattanpaa K, Sloan A, Rogers L, Madabhushi A AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2016 Sep
- Multiparametric imaging of brain hemodynamics and function using gas-inhalation MRI.
- Liu P, Welch BG, Li Y, Gu H, King D, Yang Y, Pinho M, Lu H Neuroimage 2016 Sep
- Detection of 2-hydroxyglutarate in brain tumors by triple-refocusing MR spectroscopy at 3T in vivo.
- An Z, Ganji SK, Tiwari V, Pinho MC, Patel T, Barnett S, Pan E, Mickey BE, Maher EA, Choi C Magn Reson Med 2016 Jul
- In vivo detection of 2-hydroxyglutarate in brain tumors by optimized point-resolved spectroscopy (PRESS) at 7T.
- Ganji SK, An Z, Tiwari V, McNeil S, Pinho MC, Pan E, Mickey BE, Maher EA, Choi C Magn Reson Med 2016 Mar
- A generic support vector machine model for preoperative glioma survival associations.
- Emblem KE, Pinho MC, Zöllner FG, Due-Tonnessen P, Hald JK, Schad LR, Meling TR, Rapalino O, Bjornerud A Radiology 2015 Apr 275 1 228-34
- The defining pathology of the new clinical and histopathologic entity ACTA2-related cerebrovascular disease.
- Georgescu MM, Pinho Mda C, Richardson TE, Torrealba J, Buja LM, Milewicz DM, Raisanen JM, Burns DK Acta Neuropathol Commun 2015 3 1 81
- Low incidence of pseudoprogression by imaging in newly diagnosed glioblastoma patients treated with cediranib in combination with chemoradiation.
- Pinho MC, Polaskova P, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Jennings D, Emblem KE, Jain RK, Rosen BR, Wen PY, Sorensen AG, Batchelor TT, Gerstner ER Oncologist 2014 19 1 75-81
- Improved tumor oxygenation and survival in glioblastoma patients who show increased blood perfusion after cediranib and chemoradiation.
- Batchelor TT, Gerstner ER, Emblem KE, Duda DG, Kalpathy-Cramer J, Snuderl M, Ancukiewicz M, Polaskova P, Pinho MC, Jennings D, Plotkin SR, Chi AS, Eichler AF, Dietrich J, Hochberg FH, Lu-Emerson C, Iafrate AJ, Ivy SP, Rosen BR, Loeffler JS, Wen PY, Sorensen AG, Jain RK Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2013 Nov 110 47 19059-64
White Matter Diseases and Inborn Error of Metabolism. In Diagnostic Imaging of Encephalic Diseases
Leite CC, Nagae LM, Pinho MC, Kay FU, Martins MCB, Amaral RPG, Kok F (2008). Sao Paulo, Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
Parapharyngeal Space. In Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging of the Head and Neck
Gebrim EMMS, Pinho MC (2010). Sao Paulo - Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
Intra-axial Brain Tumors. In Diagnostic Imaging of Encephalic Diseases 2nd Edition
Leite CC, Pinho MC, Garcia MR, Martins MCB, Pincerato RCM, Felix MM, Shibao S, Lucato LT (2010). Sao Paulo - Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
Angiotomography of the cervical and intracranial arteries. In Cardiovascular CT and MRI
Pinho MC, Kay FU (2013). Sao Paulo, Brazil, Manole
Abdominal Sonographic Anatomy. In Abdominal Sonography
Kay FU, Pinho MC, Amaro Jr E, Bordalo-Rodrigues M, Kodaira SK (2009). Sao Paulo - Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
- American Society of Functional Neuroradiology (2017)
- American Society of Spine Radiology (2016)
- American Society of Neuroradiology (2013)
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2013)
- Radiological Society of North America (2003)