Marco Pinho, M.D., is an Associate Professor of Radiology at UT Southwestern Medical Center and Associate Chief of its Neuroradiology Division. His clinical interests include cross-sectional imaging of neurological diseases and oncologic imaging.
Dr. Pinho earned his medical degree at Universidade Estadual De Campinas in São Paulo, Brazil. He completed his radiology residency at Universidade De São Paulo, where he also received advanced training through a fellowship in neuroradiology. He also completed a research fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Dr. Pinho’s research is currently focused on the development and validation of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques to evaluate central nervous system malignancies, and response assessment in clinical trials in collaboration with basic scientists, neuro-oncologists, and neurosurgeons at UT Southwestern. He has published multiple articles, reports, and reviews.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Pinho serves on several committees, including the Radiology Resident Selection Committee, the Clinical Competency Committee, the Brain Tumor Committee, and the Intracranial Pressure Disorder IPT.
A dedicated educator, Dr. Pinho previously served as the Associate Program Director of the Radiology Residency Program, and also coordinated the Global Health Teleradiology program.
Dr. Pinho is an active member of national and international professional organizations, including the Radiological Society of North America, the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, the American Society of Neuroradiology, the American Society of Spine Radiology, the American Society of Functional Neuroradiology, and the Sociedade Paulista de Radiologia.
- Medical School
- Universidade Estadual De Campinas (2002)
- Instituto de Radiologia, Hospital das Clinicas da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo (2006), Diagnostic Radiology
- Instituto de Radiologia - Hospital das Clinicas - Univ. de Sao Paulo (2007), Neuroradiology
- A.A. Martinos Ctr. for Biomedical Imaging (2011), Neuroradiology
- Central Nervous System Neoplasms
- Computed Tomography
- Head and Neck Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Neurovascular Disease
- Glycine by MR spectroscopy is an imaging biomarker of glioma aggressiveness.
- Tiwari V, Daoud EV, Hatanpaa KJ, Gao A, Zhang S, An Z, Ganji SK, Raisanen JM, Lewis CM, Askari P, Baxter J, Levy M, Dimitrov I, Thomas BP, Pinho MC, Madden CJ, Pan E, Patel TR, DeBerardinis RJ, Sherry AD, Mickey BE, Malloy CR, Maher EA, Choi C, Neuro-oncology 2020 Feb
- Spiral T1 Spin-Echo for Routine Postcontrast Brain MRI Exams: A Multicenter Multireader Clinical Evaluation.
- Ooi MB, Li Z, Robison RK, Wang D, Anderson AG, Zwart NR, Bakhru A, Nagaraj S, Mathews T, Hey S, Koonen JJ, Dimitrov IE, Friel HT, Lu Q, Obara M, Saha I, Wang H, Wang Y, Zhao Y, Temkit M, Hu HH, Chenevert TL, Togao O, Tkach JA, Nagaraj UD, Pinho MC, Gupta RK, Small JE, Kunst MM, Karis JP, Andre JB, Miller JH, Pinter NK, Pipe JG, AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2020 Feb 41 2 238-245
- A Novel Fully Automated Mri-Based Deep Learning Method for Classification of Idh Mutation Status in Brain Gliomas.
- Yogananda CGB, Shah BR, Vejdani-Jahromi M, Nalawade SS, Murugesan GK, Yu FF, Pinho MC, Wagner BC, Mickey B, Patel TR, Fei B, Madhuranthakam AJ, Maldjian JA, Neuro-oncology 2019 Oct
- Non-contrast hemodynamic imaging of Moyamoya disease with MR fingerprinting ASL: A feasibility study.
- Su P, Liu P, Pinho MC, Thomas BP, Qiao Y, Huang J, Welch BG, Lu H, Magn Reson Imaging 2022 Feb
- Brain tumor IDH, 1p/19q, and MGMT molecular classification using MRI-based deep learning: an initial study on the effect of motion and motion correction.
- Nalawade SS, Yu FF, Bangalore Yogananda CG, Murugesan GK, Shah BR, Pinho MC, Wagner BC, Xi Y, Mickey B, Patel TR, Fei B, Madhuranthakam AJ, Maldjian JA, J Med Imaging (Bellingham) 2022 Jan 9 1 016001
- Alterations in the RB Pathway With Inactivation of RB1 Characterize Glioblastomas With a Primitive Neuronal Component.
- Chkheidze R, Raisanen J, Gagan J, Richardson TE, Pinho MC, Raj K, Achilleos M, Slepicka C, White CL, Evers BM, Patel TR, Malter JS, Hatanpaa KJ, J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 2021 Dec 80 12 1092-1098
- Dynamic 13 C MR spectroscopy as an alternative to imaging for assessing cerebral metabolism using hyperpolarized pyruvate in humans.
- Ma J, Pinho MC, Harrison CE, Chen J, Sun C, Hackett EP, Liticker J, Ratnakar J, Reed GD, Chen AP, Sherry AD, Malloy CR, Wright SM, Madden CJ, Park JM, Magn Reson Med 2021 Oct
- Two Unique Mutations in HTRA1-Related Cerebral Small Vessel Disease in North America and Africa and Literature Review.
- Shang T, Pinho M, Ray D, Khera A, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2021 Aug 30 11 106029
- Cerebrovascular Reactivity Mapping Using Resting-State BOLD Functional MRI in Healthy Adults and Patients with Moyamoya Disease.
- Liu P, Liu G, Pinho MC, Lin Z, Thomas BP, Rundle M, Park DC, Huang J, Welch BG, Lu H, Radiology 2021 Mar 203568
- Preoperative imaging of glioblastoma patients using hyperpolarized 13C pyruvate: Potential role in clinical decision making.
- Chen J, Patel TR, Pinho MC, Choi C, Harrison CE, Baxter JD, Derner K, Pena S, Liticker J, Raza J, Hall RG, Reed GD, Cai C, Hatanpaa KJ, Bankson JA, Bachoo RM, Malloy CR, Mickey BE, Park JM, Neurooncol Adv 2021 Jan-Dec 3 1 vdab092
White Matter Diseases and Inborn Error of Metabolism. In Diagnostic Imaging of Encephalic Diseases
Leite CC, Nagae LM, Pinho MC, Kay FU, Martins MCB, Amaral RPG, Kok F (2008). Sao Paulo, Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
Parapharyngeal Space. In Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging of the Head and Neck
Gebrim EMMS, Pinho MC (2010). Sao Paulo - Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
Intra-axial Brain Tumors. In Diagnostic Imaging of Encephalic Diseases 2nd Edition
Leite CC, Pinho MC, Garcia MR, Martins MCB, Pincerato RCM, Felix MM, Shibao S, Lucato LT (2010). Sao Paulo - Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
Angiotomography of the cervical and intracranial arteries. In Cardiovascular CT and MRI
Pinho MC, Kay FU (2013). Sao Paulo, Brazil, Manole
Abdominal Sonographic Anatomy. In Abdominal Sonography
Kay FU, Pinho MC, Amaro Jr E, Bordalo-Rodrigues M, Kodaira SK (2009). Sao Paulo - Brazil, Guanabara Koogan
- American Society of Functional Neuroradiology (2017)
- American Society of Neuroradiology (2013)
- American Society of Spine Radiology (2016)
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2013)
- Radiological Society of North America (2003)