Dr. Gupta received both his B.A. in Biochemistry and Ph.D. in Pharmacology from the University of Pennsylvania. His doctoral work focused on the transcriptional mechanisms controlling the function and expansion of pancreatic beta cells. He then moved to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, MA where he trained as a postdoctoral fellow studying the transcriptional mechanisms governing adipocyte specification and differentiation. Dr. Gupta joined the Touchstone Diabetes Center in 2012. The Gupta laboratory focuses on the molecular and developmental mechanisms controlling adipose tissue development and expansion in obesity.
- University of Pennsylvania (2001), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of Pennsylvania (2006), Pharmacology
- Adipocyte Development
- Cell Differentiation
- Transcriptional Regulation
- Adiponectin is essential for lipid homeostasis and survival under insulin deficiency and promotes ß-cell regeneration.
- Ye R, Holland WL, Gordillo R, Wang M, Wang QA, Shao M, Morley TS, Gupta RK, Stahl A, Scherer PE Elife 2014 Oct 3
- ERa upregulates Phd3 to ameliorate HIF-1 induced fibrosis and inflammation in adipose tissue.
- Kim M, Neinast MD, Frank AP, Sun K, Park J, Zehr JA, Vishvanath L, Morselli E, Amelotte M, Palmer BF, Gupta RK, Scherer PE, Clegg DJ Mol Metab 2014 Sep 3 6 642-51
- Elevated resistin levels induce central leptin resistance and increased atherosclerotic progression in mice.
- Asterholm IW, Rutkowski JM, Fujikawa T, Cho YR, Fukuda M, Tao C, Wang ZV, Gupta RK, Elmquist JK, Scherer PE Diabetologia 2014 Mar
- Improved Methodologies for the Study of Adipose Biology: Insights Gained and Opportunities Ahead.
- Wang QA, Scherer PE, Gupta RK J. Lipid Res. 2014 Feb
- Identifying novel transcriptional components controlling energy metabolism.
- Gupta RK, Rosen ED, Spiegelman BM Cell Metab. 2011 Dec 14 6 739-45
- Expansion of adult beta-cell mass in response to increased metabolic demand is dependent on HNF-4alpha.
- Gupta RK, Gao N, Gorski RK, White P, Hardy OT, Rafiq K, Brestelli JE, Chen G, Stoeckert CJ, Kaestner KH Genes Dev. 2007 Apr 21 7 756-69
- The MODY1 gene HNF-4alpha regulates selected genes involved in insulin secretion.
- Gupta RK, Vatamaniuk MZ, Lee CS, Flaschen RC, Fulmer JT, Matschinsky FM, Duncan SA, Kaestner KH J. Clin. Invest. 2005 Apr 115 4 1006-15
Honors & Awards
- The Hartwell Foundation
2016 Individual Biomedical Research Award (2017)
- Grossman Award for Excellence in Diabetes Research
- Searle Scholar
- NIH Mentor-based Career Development Award (K01)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA)