Dr. Gupta received both his B.A. in Biochemistry and Ph.D. in Pharmacology from the University of Pennsylvania. His doctoral work focused on the transcriptional mechanisms controlling the function and expansion of pancreatic beta cells. He then moved to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, MA where he trained as a postdoctoral fellow studying the transcriptional mechanisms governing adipocyte specification and differentiation. Dr. Gupta joined the Touchstone Diabetes Center in 2012. The Gupta laboratory focuses on the molecular and developmental mechanisms controlling adipose tissue development and expansion in obesity.
- University of Pennsylvania (2001), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of Pennsylvania (2006), Pharmacology
- Adipocyte Development
- Cell Differentiation
- Transcriptional Regulation
- Zfp423 Maintains White Adipocyte Identity through Suppression of the Beige Cell Thermogenic Gene Program.
- Shao M, Ishibashi J, Kusminski CM, Wang QA, Hepler C, Vishvanath L, MacPherson KA, Spurgin SB, Sun K, Holland WL, Seale P, Gupta RK Cell Metab. 2016 May
- Pdgfrß(+) Mural Preadipocytes Contribute to Adipocyte Hyperplasia Induced by High-Fat-Diet Feeding and Prolonged Cold Exposure in Adult Mice.
- Vishvanath L, MacPherson KA, Hepler C, Wang QA, Shao M, Spurgin SB, Wang MY, Kusminski CM, Morley TS, Gupta RK Cell Metab. 2015 Nov
- Distinct regulatory mechanisms governing embryonic versus adult adipocyte maturation.
- Wang QA, Tao C, Jiang L, Shao M, Ye R, Zhu Y, Gordillo R, Ali A, Lian Y, Holland WL, Gupta RK, Scherer PE Nat. Cell Biol. 2015 Sep 17 9 1099-111
- Gupta RK Curr. Biol. 2014 Oct 24 20 R988-93
- Tracking adipogenesis during white adipose tissue development, expansion and regeneration.
- Wang QA, Tao C, Gupta RK, Scherer PE Nat. Med. 2013 Oct 19 10 1338-44
- Zfp423 expression identifies committed preadipocytes and localizes to adipose endothelial and perivascular cells.
- Gupta RK, Mepani RJ, Kleiner S, Lo JC, Khandekar MJ, Cohen P, Frontini A, Bhowmick DC, Ye L, Cinti S, Spiegelman BM Cell Metab. 2012 Feb 15 2 230-9
- Transcriptional control of preadipocyte determination by Zfp423.
- Gupta RK, Arany Z, Seale P, Mepani RJ, Ye L, Conroe HM, Roby YA, Kulaga H, Reed RR, Spiegelman BM Nature 2010 Mar 464 7288 619-23
- Impact of tamoxifen on adipocyte lineage tracing: Inducer of adipogenesis and prolonged nuclear translocation of Cre recombinase.
- Ye R, Wang QA, Tao C, Vishvanath L, Shao M, McDonald JG, Gupta RK, Scherer PE Mol Metab 2015 Nov 4 11 771-8
- Activation of natriuretic peptides and the sympathetic nervous system following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is associated with gonadal adipose tissues browning.
- Neinast MD, Frank AP, Zechner JF, Li Q, Vishvanath L, Palmer BF, Aguirre V, Gupta RK, Clegg DJ Mol Metab 2015 May 4 5 427-36
- CREB mediates the insulinotropic and anti-apoptotic effects of GLP-1 signaling in adult mouse ß-cells.
- Shin S, Le Lay J, Everett LJ, Gupta R, Rafiq K, Kaestner KH Mol Metab 2014 Nov 3 8 803-12
Honors & Awards
- The Hartwell Foundation
2016 Individual Biomedical Research Award (2017)
- Grossman Award for Excellence in Diabetes Research
- Searle Scholar
- NIH Mentor-based Career Development Award (K01)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA)