Dr. Jose Torrealba completed his MD in 1994 from the Central University of Venezuela. He then did a post-doctoral fellowship in molecular biology at the University of Wisconsin, in Madison, Wisconsin and obtained his degree in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology from the Univeristy of Wisconsin as well in 2003. He especialized in immunopathology of transplantation at the University of Toronto, Canada in 2005. He held a job as Assistant Professor of Pathology at the University of Wisconsin until 2012, and since then is the Drs. George and Anne Race Distinguished Professor of Pathology at the Department of Pathology, UTSW Medical center in Dallas, Texas. Areas of experise: Thoracic Pathology, Renal Pathology and Transplant Pathology
- Medical School
- Universidad Central De Venezuela-Hospital Universitario (1994)
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (1999), Molecular Cardiology
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (2003), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- University of Toronto, Canada (2005), Immunology
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Lung cancer morphology and metabolic
- Solid Organ Transplant Immunopathology
- Guidelines for the management of a brain death donor in the rhesus macaque: A translational transplant model.
- Zens TJ, Danobeitia JS, Chlebeck PJ, Zitur LJ, Odorico S, Brunner K, Coonen J, Capuano S, D'Alessandro AM, Matkowskyj K, Zhong W, Torrealba J, Fernandez L PLoS ONE 2017 12 9 e0182552
- Telomere-related lung fibrosis is diagnostically heterogeneous but uniformly progressive.
- Newton CA, Batra K, Torrealba J, Kozlitina J, Glazer CS, Aravena C, Meyer K, Raghu G, Collard HR, Garcia CK Eur. Respir. J. 2016 Aug
- Pleuroparenchymal fibroelastosis: a pattern of chronic lung injury.
- Rosenbaum JN, Butt YM, Johnson KA, Meyer K, Batra K, Kanne JP, Torrealba JR Hum. Pathol. 2015 Jan 46 1 137-46
- Guidelines for the diagnosis of antibody-mediated rejection in pancreas allografts-updated Banff grading schema.
- Drachenberg CB, Torrealba JR, Nankivell BJ, Rangel EB, Bajema IM, Kim DU, Arend L, Bracamonte ER, Bromberg JS, Bruijn JA, Cantarovich D, Chapman JR, Farris AB, Gaber L, Goldberg JC, Haririan A, Honsová E, Iskandar SS, Klassen DK, Kraus E, Lower F, Odorico J, Olson JL, Mittalhenkle A, Munivenkatappa R, Paraskevas S, Papadimitriou JC, Randhawa P, Reinholt FP, Renaudin K, Revelo P, Ruiz P, Samaniego MD, Shapiro R, Stratta RJ, Sutherland DE, Troxell ML, Voska L, Seshan SV, Racusen LC, Bartlett ST Am. J. Transplant. 2011 Sep 11 9 1792-802
- Antibody-mediated rejection of the pancreas allograft.
- Torrealba JR, Odorico J Transplantation 2009 Jul 88 2 292-3
- C4d-positive interacinar capillaries correlates with donor-specific antibody-mediated rejection in pancreas allografts.
- Torrealba JR, Samaniego M, Pascual J, Becker Y, Pirsch J, Sollinger H, Odorico J Transplantation 2008 Dec 86 12 1849-56
- Human CD4+CD25low adaptive T regulatory cells suppress delayed-type hypersensitivity during transplant tolerance.
- Xu Q, Lee J, Jankowska-Gan E, Schultz J, Roenneburg DA, Roennburg DA, Haynes LD, Kusaka S, Sollinger HW, Knechtle SJ, VanBuskirk AM, Torrealba JR, Burlingham WJ J. Immunol. 2007 Mar 178 6 3983-95
- Selenium-binding protein-1 in smooth muscle cells is downregulated in a rhesus monkey model of chronic allograft nephropathy.
- Torrealba JR, Colburn M, Golner S, Chang Z, Scheunemann T, Fechner JH, Roenneburg D, Hu H, Alam T, Kim HT, Kanmaz T, Oberley T, Knechtle SJ, Hamawy MM Am. J. Transplant. 2005 Jan 5 1 58-67
- Metastable tolerance to rhesus monkey renal transplants is correlated with allograft TGF-beta 1+CD4+ T regulatory cell infiltrates.
- Torrealba JR, Katayama M, Fechner JH, Jankowska-Gan E, Kusaka S, Xu Q, Schultz JM, Oberley TD, Hu H, Hamawy MM, Jonker M, Wubben J, Doxiadis G, Bontrop R, Burlingham WJ, Knechtle SJ J. Immunol. 2004 May 172 9 5753-64
- Immunotoxin-treated rhesus monkeys: a model for renal allograft chronic rejection.
- Torrealba JR, Fernandez LA, Kanmaz T, Oberley TD, Schultz JM, Brunner KG, Peters D, Fechner JH, Dong Y, Hu H, Hamawy MM, Knechtle SJ Transplantation 2003 Aug 76 3 524-30
C4d-positive Acute antibody-mediated rejection due to anti-HLA-DP antibody: A tale of one patient and a review of the University of Wisconsin Experience. In Clinical Transplantation
Milagros Samaniego, Joshua Mezrich, Jose R. Torrealba, David Lorentzen, Erik Schadde, Arjan D'jamali, Mareena Zachariah, Hans Sollinger and John Pirsch (2007). California, Teriyaki Foundation Laboratory
Donor-Specific HLA-Antibody mediated rejection in a liver transplant recipient fully reversed with plasmapheresis and immunoglobulin. In Clinical Transplantation
Erik Schadde, Anthony d'Alessandro, Alexandru Musat, Jose R. Torrealba, Stuart Knechtle (2007). California, Teriyaki Foundation Laboratory
Immunologic tolerance as taught by allografts. In Immunobiology of Transplantation
Burlingham W, and Torrealba J (2004). Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publisher
The Kidney Transplant Biopsy.. In Kidney Transplantation: A Guide to the Care of Kidney Transplant Recipients
Jose R. Torrealba and Milagros D. Samaniego. (2010). New York, Springer
Bortezomib as a rescue therapy for hyperacute and multi-drug resistant mixed acute rejection after kidney transplantation. In Clinical Transplantation
Djamali A, Muth BL, Torrealba J, Bloom D, Miller KM, Lorentzen D, Sollinger HW, Pirsch JD, Mezrich JD (2009). California, Terasaki Foundation Laboratory
Honors & Awards
- Society of Cardiovascular Pathology Young Investigators Award, USCAP
Trainee platform presentation of CD68/CD31 Immunohistochemistry Double Stain Demonstrates Increased Accuracy in Diagnosing Antibody-Mediated Rejection in Cardiac Transplant Patients (2018)
- Poster of Distinction, American Transplant Congress
Banff 2013 Classification of Renal Allograft Pathology Is Superior to Banff 2007 in Detecting and Managing Milder and Earlier Cases of Antibody-Mediated Rejection. (2017)
- Poster of Distinction, World Transplant Congress.
Histopathology of Long Term Tolerant Kidney Allografts in Rhesus monkeys (2014)
- Drs. George and Anne Race Distinguished Professor of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Endowment Fund (2012)
- Gold Microscope Award in Anatomic Pathology.
In recognition of Residency Education, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Wisconsin (2010)
- Sheard Sandford Pathology Resident Award, 2003 American Society of Clinical Pathology Annual Meeting
Research article TGF+ 1 mediated immune regulation of renal transplants correlates with infiltrating TGF+ T regulatory cells in the allografts. Diploma and Leica Microscope DMLS. (2003)
- Sheard Sandford Pathology Resident Award, 2002 American Society of Clinical Pathology/College of American Pathology Annual Meeting
Research article Piceatannol is associated with increased survival and reduced mononuclear cells in renal allografts. Diploma and Leica Microscope DMLS. (2002)
- Award: Dr. Lorenzo Campins y Ballester
Academic Excellence, Faculty of Medicine, Central University of Venezuela. (1994)
- Magna Cum Laude
Achieving the highest average grade in the corresponding class of 1994, Faculty of Medicine, Central University of Venezuela. (1994)
- United States and Canadian Association of Pathology (2016)
- Royal College of Physicians of Canada (RCPC) (2006)
- American Society of Transplantation (2003)
- College of American Pathology (2001)