Dr. Jose Torrealba completed his MD in 1994 from the Central University of Venezuela. He then did a post-doctoral fellowship in molecular biology at the University of Wisconsin, in Madison, Wisconsin and obtained his degree in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology from the Univeristy of Wisconsin as well in 2003. He especialized in immunopathology of transplantation at the University of Toronto, Canada in 2005. He held a job as Assistant Professor of Pathology at the University of Wisconsin until 2012, and since then is the Drs. George and Anne Race Distinguished Professor of Pathology at the Department of Pathology, UTSW Medical center in Dallas, Texas. Areas of experise: Thoracic Pathology, Renal Pathology and Transplant Pathology
- Medical School
- Universidad Central De Venezuela-Hospital Universitario (1994)
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (1999), Molecular Cardiology
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (2003), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- University of Toronto, Canada (2005), Immunology
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Lung cancer morphology and metabolic
- Solid Organ Transplant Immunopathology
- Targeted Donor Complement Blockade After Brain-Death Prevents Delayed Graft Function In A Non-Human Primate Model Of Kidney Transplantation.
- Danobeitia JS, Zens TJ, Chlebeck PJ, Zitur LJ, Reyes JA, Eerhart MJ, Coonen J, Capuano S, D'Alessandro AM, Torrealba JR, Burguete D, Brunner K, Van E, AmersfoortPonstein-Simarro Doorten Y, Van Kooten C, Jankowska-Gan E, Burlingham W, Sullivan J, Djamali A, Pozniak M, Yankol Y, Fernandez LA, Am. J. Transplant. 2020 Jan
- Does Tumor FDG-PET-Avidity Represent Enhanced Glycolytic Metabolism in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer?
- Kernstine KH, Faubert B, Do QN, Rogers TJ, Hensley CT, Cai L, Torrealba J, Oliver D, Waschmann JW, Lenkinski RE, Malloy CR, Deberardinis RJ, Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2019 Dec
- Clinicopathological features of C3 glomerulopathy in children: a single-center experience.
- Drake KA, Ellington N, Gattineni J, Torrealba JR, Hendricks AR, Pediatr. Nephrol. 2019 Oct
- Bile Cast Nephropathy: A Pathologic Finding with Manifold Causes Displayed in an Adult with Alcoholic Steatohepatitis and in a Child with Wilson's Disease.
- Torrealba J, Sweed NT, Burguete D, Hendricks AR Case Rep Nephrol Dial 2018 Sep-Dec 8 3 207-215
- 17 Responses.
- Agashe VV, Jankowska-Gan E, Keller M, Sullivan JA, Haynes LD, Kernien JF, Torrealba JR, Roenneburg D, Dart M, Colonna M, Wilkes DS, Burlingham WJ J. Immunol. 2018 Jun
- Utility of Bronchoalveolar Lavage and Transbronchial Biopsy in Patients with Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.
- Adams TN, Newton CA, Batra K, Abu-Hijleh M, Barbera T, Torrealba J, Glazer CS Lung 2018 Jun
- Series of rare lung diseases mimicking imaging patterns of common diffuse parenchymal lung diseases.
- Batra K, Dessouky R, Butt YM, Wadhwa V, Torrealba JR, Glazer C Lung India 2018 May-Jun 35 3 231-236
- Proliferative Glomerulonephritis with Monoclonal Immunoglobulin G Lambda Deposits: Report of the First Pediatric Case.
- Torrealba J, Gattineni J, Hendricks AR Case Rep Nephrol Dial 2018 Jan-Apr 8 1 70-75
- Pathology and Radiology Correlation of Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias.
- Batra K, Butt Y, Gokaslan T, Burguete D, Glazer C, Torrealba JR Hum. Pathol. 2017 Nov
- Pathology-Radiology Correlation of Common and Uncommon CT Patterns of Organizing Pneumonia.
- Torrealba JR, Fisher S, Kanne JP, Butt YM, Glazer C, Kershaw C, Burguete D, Gokaslan T, Batra K Hum. Pathol. 2017 Nov
C4d-positive Acute antibody-mediated rejection due to anti-HLA-DP antibody: A tale of one patient and a review of the University of Wisconsin Experience. In Clinical Transplantation
Milagros Samaniego, Joshua Mezrich, Jose R. Torrealba, David Lorentzen, Erik Schadde, Arjan D'jamali, Mareena Zachariah, Hans Sollinger and John Pirsch (2007). California, Teriyaki Foundation Laboratory
Donor-Specific HLA-Antibody mediated rejection in a liver transplant recipient fully reversed with plasmapheresis and immunoglobulin. In Clinical Transplantation
Erik Schadde, Anthony d'Alessandro, Alexandru Musat, Jose R. Torrealba, Stuart Knechtle (2007). California, Teriyaki Foundation Laboratory
Immunologic tolerance as taught by allografts. In Immunobiology of Transplantation
Burlingham W, and Torrealba J (2004). Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publisher
The Kidney Transplant Biopsy.. In Kidney Transplantation: A Guide to the Care of Kidney Transplant Recipients
Jose R. Torrealba and Milagros D. Samaniego. (2010). New York, Springer
Bortezomib as a rescue therapy for hyperacute and multi-drug resistant mixed acute rejection after kidney transplantation. In Clinical Transplantation
Djamali A, Muth BL, Torrealba J, Bloom D, Miller KM, Lorentzen D, Sollinger HW, Pirsch JD, Mezrich JD (2009). California, Terasaki Foundation Laboratory
Honors & Awards
- Society of Cardiovascular Pathology Young Investigators Award, USCAP
Trainee platform presentation of CD68/CD31 Immunohistochemistry Double Stain Demonstrates Increased Accuracy in Diagnosing Antibody-Mediated Rejection in Cardiac Transplant Patients (2018)
- Poster of Distinction, American Transplant Congress
Banff 2013 Classification of Renal Allograft Pathology Is Superior to Banff 2007 in Detecting and Managing Milder and Earlier Cases of Antibody-Mediated Rejection. (2017)
- Poster of Distinction, World Transplant Congress.
Histopathology of Long Term Tolerant Kidney Allografts in Rhesus monkeys (2014)
- Drs. George and Anne Race Distinguished Professor of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Endowment Fund (2012)
- Gold Microscope Award in Anatomic Pathology.
In recognition of Residency Education, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Wisconsin (2010)
- Sheard Sandford Pathology Resident Award, 2003 American Society of Clinical Pathology Annual Meeting
Research article TGF+ 1 mediated immune regulation of renal transplants correlates with infiltrating TGF+ T regulatory cells in the allografts. Diploma and Leica Microscope DMLS. (2003)
- Sheard Sandford Pathology Resident Award, 2002 American Society of Clinical Pathology/College of American Pathology Annual Meeting
Research article Piceatannol is associated with increased survival and reduced mononuclear cells in renal allografts. Diploma and Leica Microscope DMLS. (2002)
- Award: Dr. Lorenzo Campins y Ballester
Academic Excellence, Faculty of Medicine, Central University of Venezuela. (1994)
- Magna Cum Laude
Achieving the highest average grade in the corresponding class of 1994, Faculty of Medicine, Central University of Venezuela. (1994)
- United States and Canadian Association of Pathology (2016)
- Royal College of Physicians of Canada (RCPC) (2006)
- American Society of Transplantation (2003)
- College of American Pathology (2001)