Dr. Jose Torrealba completed his MD in 1994 from the Central University of Venezuela. He then did a post-doctoral fellowship in molecular biology at the University of Wisconsin, in Madison, Wisconsin and obtained his degree in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology from the Univeristy of Wisconsin as well in 2003. He especialized in immunopathology of transplantation at the University of Toronto, Canada in 2005. He held a job as Assistant Professor of Pathology at the University of Wisconsin until 2012, and since then is the Drs. George and Anne Race Distinguished Professor of Pathology at the Department of Pathology, UTSW Medical center in Dallas, Texas. Areas of experise: Thoracic Pathology, Renal Pathology and Transplant Pathology
- Medical School
- Universidad Central De Venezuela-Hospital Universitario (1994)
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (1999), Molecular Cardiology
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (2003), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- University of Toronto, Canada (2005), Immunology
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Lung cancer morphology and metabolic
- Solid Organ Transplant Immunopathology
- Intraoperative cytopathology of thoracic surgery (ICTS). A captivating, worthwhile, and rewarding service line.
- Torrealba JR, Waters J, Opsahl M, Casas LEL, Semin Diagn Pathol 2022 Jan
- Molecular Signatures of Diabetic Kidney Disease Hiding in a Patient with Hypertension-Related Kidney Disease: A Clinical Pathologic Molecular Correlation.
- Patel J, Torrealba JR, Poggio ED, Bebiak J, Alpers CE, Grewenow SM, Toto RD, Eadon MT, Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2021 Dec
- Characteristics and evaluation of acute exacerbations in chronic interstitial lung diseases.
- Kershaw CD, Batra K, Torrealba JR, Terada LS, Respir Med 2021 Jul 183 106400
- Pathology of the kidney allograft.
- Metter C, Torrealba JR, Semin Diagn Pathol 2020 May 37 3 148-153
- Upregulation of Endothelial HLA Class II is a Marker of Antibody-Mediated Rejection in Heart Allograft Biopsies.
- Cai Q, Moore SA, Hendricks AR, Torrealba JR, Transplant Proc 2020 May 52 4 1192-1197
- Targeted Donor Complement Blockade After Brain-Death Prevents Delayed Graft Function In A Non-Human Primate Model Of Kidney Transplantation.
- Danobeitia JS, Zens TJ, Chlebeck PJ, Zitur LJ, Reyes JA, Eerhart MJ, Coonen J, Capuano S, D'Alessandro AM, Torrealba JR, Burguete D, Brunner K, Van E, AmersfoortPonstein-Simarro Doorten Y, Van Kooten C, Jankowska-Gan E, Burlingham W, Sullivan J, Djamali A, Pozniak M, Yankol Y, Fernandez LA, Am. J. Transplant. 2020 Jan
- Does Tumor FDG-PET-Avidity Represent Enhanced Glycolytic Metabolism in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer?
- Kernstine KH, Faubert B, Do QN, Rogers TJ, Hensley CT, Cai L, Torrealba J, Oliver D, Waschmann JW, Lenkinski RE, Malloy CR, Deberardinis RJ, Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2019 Dec
- CD68/CD31 immunohistochemistry double stain demonstrates increased accuracy in diagnosing pathologic antibody-mediated rejection in cardiac transplant patients.
- Glass C, Butt YM, Gokaslan ST, Torrealba JR, Am J Transplant 2019 11 19 11 3149-3154
- Clinicopathological features of C3 glomerulopathy in children: a single-center experience.
- Drake KA, Ellington N, Gattineni J, Torrealba JR, Hendricks AR, Pediatr. Nephrol. 2019 Oct
- 2013 Banff Criteria for Acute Antibody-Mediated Rejection Are Superior to 2007 Banff Criteria in the Diagnosis and Assessment of Renal Allograft Outcomes.
- Hassler J, Tanriover B, Ariyamutu V, Burguete D, Hendricks AR, Torrealba JR, Transplant Proc 2019 Jul - Aug 51 6 1791-1795
C4d-positive Acute antibody-mediated rejection due to anti-HLA-DP antibody: A tale of one patient and a review of the University of Wisconsin Experience. In Clinical Transplantation
Milagros Samaniego, Joshua Mezrich, Jose R. Torrealba, David Lorentzen, Erik Schadde, Arjan D'jamali, Mareena Zachariah, Hans Sollinger and John Pirsch (2007). California, Teriyaki Foundation Laboratory
Donor-Specific HLA-Antibody mediated rejection in a liver transplant recipient fully reversed with plasmapheresis and immunoglobulin. In Clinical Transplantation
Erik Schadde, Anthony d'Alessandro, Alexandru Musat, Jose R. Torrealba, Stuart Knechtle (2007). California, Teriyaki Foundation Laboratory
Immunologic tolerance as taught by allografts. In Immunobiology of Transplantation
Burlingham W, and Torrealba J (2004). Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publisher
The Kidney Transplant Biopsy.. In Kidney Transplantation: A Guide to the Care of Kidney Transplant Recipients
Jose R. Torrealba and Milagros D. Samaniego. (2010). New York, Springer
Bortezomib as a rescue therapy for hyperacute and multi-drug resistant mixed acute rejection after kidney transplantation. In Clinical Transplantation
Djamali A, Muth BL, Torrealba J, Bloom D, Miller KM, Lorentzen D, Sollinger HW, Pirsch JD, Mezrich JD (2009). California, Terasaki Foundation Laboratory
Lung Transplant Pathology. In The Thorax: clinical, radiological, and pathological features
Jose R. Torrealba and Sakda Sathirareuangchai (2022). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Society of Cardiovascular Pathology Young Investigators Award, USCAP
Trainee platform presentation of CD68/CD31 Immunohistochemistry Double Stain Demonstrates Increased Accuracy in Diagnosing Antibody-Mediated Rejection in Cardiac Transplant Patients (2018)
- Poster of Distinction, American Transplant Congress
Banff 2013 Classification of Renal Allograft Pathology Is Superior to Banff 2007 in Detecting and Managing Milder and Earlier Cases of Antibody-Mediated Rejection. (2017)
- Poster of Distinction, World Transplant Congress.
Histopathology of Long Term Tolerant Kidney Allografts in Rhesus monkeys (2014)
- Drs. George and Anne Race Distinguished Professor of Pathology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Endowment Fund (2012)
- Gold Microscope Award in Anatomic Pathology.
In recognition of Residency Education, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Wisconsin (2010)
- Sheard Sandford Pathology Resident Award, 2003 American Society of Clinical Pathology Annual Meeting
Research article TGF+ 1 mediated immune regulation of renal transplants correlates with infiltrating TGF+ T regulatory cells in the allografts. Diploma and Leica Microscope DMLS. (2003)
- Sheard Sandford Pathology Resident Award, 2002 American Society of Clinical Pathology/College of American Pathology Annual Meeting
Research article Piceatannol is associated with increased survival and reduced mononuclear cells in renal allografts. Diploma and Leica Microscope DMLS. (2002)
- Award: Dr. Lorenzo Campins y Ballester
Academic Excellence, Faculty of Medicine, Central University of Venezuela. (1994)
- Magna Cum Laude
Achieving the highest average grade in the corresponding class of 1994, Faculty of Medicine, Central University of Venezuela. (1994)
- United States and Canadian Association of Pathology (2016)
- Royal College of Physicians of Canada (RCPC) (2006)
- American Society of Transplantation (2003)
- College of American Pathology (2001)