Dr. Makris is originally from Los Angeles, CA and received her medical training at the George Washington University Medical Center followed by a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle, WA. Drawn to both Rheumatology and Geriatrics, Dr. Makris completed her fellowship in Rheumatology at Yale University with a clinical research focus on degenerative, musculoskeletal conditions that affect older adults. She is particularly interested in elucidating the epidemiology of back pain in older adults and developing effective multi-component behavioral interventions with the goal of, ultimately, improving outcomes of musculoskeletal pain in this population. Dr. Makris brings to UTSW and the Dallas VAMC a strong background in general Rheumatology clinical practice and a unique clinical research interest that bridges Geriatrics and Rheumatology. She is passionate about mentoring, including promoting interdiscipinary team science that promotes understanding of aging/ geriatrics principles among specialty fields (ex. Geriatric Rheumatology).
Outside of medicine, Dr. Makris enjoys spending time with her husband and daughters, enjoying the outdoors (hiking, skiing, long walks) and traveling to visit extended family in California, Greece, and Serbia.
- University of California-San D (2000), Microbiology
- Medical School
- George Washington University (2004)
- Behavioral interventions to improve physical activity among older adults with MSK pain and mental health conditions
- Epidemiology of back pain in older adults
- Health coaching and motivational interviewing
- Health services and outcomes research
- Improving outcomes in medically complex older adults with chronic back pain
- Patient-reported outcomes for degenerative musculoskeletal conditions in older adults
- Management of persistent pain in the older patient: a clinical review.
- Makris UE, Abrams RC, Gurland B, Reid MC JAMA 2014 Aug 312 8 825-36
- Musculoskeletal Pain in Older Adults: A Clinical Review.
- Welsh TP, Yang AE, Makris UE, Med Clin North Am 2020 Sep 104 5 855-872
- Ethnic Disparities in Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease Incidence and Prevalence Among Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients in the United States: a Systematic Review.
- Daniel CM, Davila L, Makris UE, Mayo H, Caplan L, Davis L, Solow EB, ACR Open Rheumatol 2020 Sep 2 9 525-532
- Comparison of patient-reported outcomes measurement information system and legacy instruments in multiple domains among older veterans with chronic back pain.
- Nayfe R, Chansard M, Hynan LS, Mortensen EM, Annaswamy T, Fraenkel L, Makris UE, BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2020 Sep 21 1 598
- Time to Completed Visit and Healthcare Utilization among Young Adults Transferring from Pediatric to Adult Rheumatologic Care in a Safety-Net Hospital.
- Bitencourt N, Bermas BL, Makris UE, Wright T, Reisch J, Solow EB, Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2020 Sep
- Adalimumab-associated psoriasiform rash in an African-American patient.
- Chao Y, Hutto J, Keshvani N, Makris UE, BMJ Case Rep 2020 Sep 13 9
- Clinical Team Perspectives on the Psychosocial Aspects of Transition to Adult Care for Patients with Childhood-Onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
- Bitencourt N, Kramer J, Bermas BL, Solow EB, Wright T, Makris UE, Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2020 Sep
- Association of Breast Implants with Non-specific Symptoms, Connective Tissue Diseases, and Allergic Reactions: A Retrospective Cohort Analysis.
- Barbosa MR, Makris UE, Mansi IA, Plast Reconstr Surg 2020 Sep
- Caring for older veterans with chronic low back pain using a geriatric syndrome approach: Rationale and methods for the aging back clinics (ABC) trial.
- Weiner DK, Gentili A, Fang MA, Garay E, Annaswamy T, Castle S, Joseph L, Lawson L, Lee CC, Makris UE, Rossi MI, Thorn B, Clemens K, Newman D, Perera S, Contemp Clin Trials 2020 Aug 95 106077
- Do Decision Aids Benefit Patients with Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain? A Systematic Review.
- Bowen E, Nayfe R, Milburn N, Mayo H, Reid MC, Fraenkel L, Weiner D, Halm EA, Makris UE, Pain Med 2019 Dec
Back Pain in the Older Adult. In Current Geriatrics Diagnosis and Treatment, 2nd Ed.
Makris UE and Cooney LM (2014). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill
Rheumatologic Disease. In Geriatrics Review Syllabus: A Core Curriculum in Geriatric Medicine
Makris UE, Gangavati A (2020). New York, NY, American Geriatrics Society
Back Pain and Spinal Stenosis. In Hazzard's Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, 7th ed.
Makris UE and Reid MC (2016). New York, NY, McGraw-Hill
Honors & Awards
- UT Southwestern 2020 Leaders in Clinical Excellence Awards
Mentoring Award (2020)
- Wellness Champion for Department of Medicine, UTSW Office of Faculty Wellness
Promoting wellness and structural change at UTSW (2019)
- UCSF Tideswell 2018-2019 Emerging Leaders in Aging Scholars Program
- Co-Chair AGS Subspecialty Section at American Geriatrics Society
Integrating aging and geriatric principles among medical and surgical specialists (2017)
- Rheumatology Research Foundation (RRF) Study Section Member/Reviewer
Reviewing career development grant applications- clinical (2017-2019)
- Fellow, Summer Institute on Randomized Behavioral Clinical Trials
NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (2015)
- New Investigator Award
American Geratrics Society (2015)
- Junior Scholar Travel Grant
American Geriatrics Society, Comparative Effectiveness Research Conference (2010)
- Young Investigators Initiative Award
The Grant Mentoring Workshop Program of the United States Bone and Joint Decade (2010)
- Scholar in Autoimmunity Award
Bristol Meyers Squibb (2009)
- Technical Assistance Workshop Scholarship
National Institute on Aging (2008)
- Graduated "With Distinction"
George Washington University School of Medicine (2004)
- Dean's List
George Washington University School of Medicine (2001-2004)
- Graduated "Cum Laude"
University of California at San Diego (1999)
- American Geriatrics Society (2010)
- American College of Rheumatology (2007)
- American College of Physicians (2004)