Dr. Ananth Madhuranthakam received his Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, where his thesis work was focused on whole-body MR angiography under the supervision of Dr. Stephen Riederer. Upon graduation, he joined the MR Research and Development division of GE Healthcare to develop novel imaging techniques to improve the clinical utility of MRI. Subsequently, he joined UT Southwestern Medical Center in 2011 as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiology.
Dr. Madhuranthakam’s research interests focus on understanding and applying MR Physics to exploit the variations in human anatomy and physiology. The primary areas of research include non-contrast perfusion imaging using arterial spin labeling (ASL), improved fat/water separation techniques, and whole-body MRI techniques for cancer screening and staging.
His NIH/NCI funded study is evaluating ASL as a quantiative non-contrast perfusion imaging technique for the assessment of cancer therapy response in patients with advanced brain tumors (glioblastoma) or advanced kidney cancer (metastatic renal cell carcinoma). They are evaluating this technique as part of the NCI's Quantitative Imaging Network.
Dr. Madhuranthakam has 9 patents (6 issued and 3 filed), co-authored more than 40 peer-reviewed scientific journal papers and more than 110 conference proceedings. He serves as a scientific reviewer for various journals including Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (MRM) and Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (JMRI).
- Anna University - India (2000)
- Graduate School
- Mayo Graduate School (2005), Biomedical Engineering
- Arterial Spin Labeling (ASL)
- Fat/Water MR Imaging Techniques
- Non-Contrast MR Angiography/Perfusion
- Whole Body Cancer Screening and Staging
- Whole-body MRI for metastatic cancer detection using T2 -weighted imaging with fat and fluid suppression.
- Wang X, Pirasteh A, Brugarolas J, Rofsky NM, Lenkinski RE, Pedrosa I, Madhuranthakam AJ. Magn. Reson. Med. 2018
- Quantitative Methods in Abdominal MRI: Perfusion Imaging.
- Madhuranthakam AJ, Yuan Q, Pedrosa I Top Magn Reson Imaging 2017 Dec 26 6 251-258
- Non-contrast quantitative pulmonary perfusion using flow alternating inversion recovery at 3T: A preliminary study.
- Greer JS, Maroules CD, Oz OK, Abbara S, Peshock RM, Pedrosa I, Madhuranthakam AJ Magn Reson Imaging 2017 Nov 46 106-113
- MR Neurography of Brachial Plexus at 3.0 T with Robust Fat and Blood Suppression.
- Wang X, Harrison C, Mariappan YK, Gopalakrishnan K, Chhabra A, Lenkinski RE, Madhuranthakam AJ Radiology 2016 Dec 152842
- T(2)-weighted 3D fast spin echo imaging with water-fat separation in a single acquisition.
- Madhuranthakam AJ, Yu H, Shimakawa A, Busse RF, Smith MP, Reeder SB, Rofsky NM, Brittain JH, McKenzie CA J Magn Reson Imaging 2010 Sep 32 3 745-51
- B1-insensitive fast spin echo using adiabatic square wave enabling of the echo train (SWEET) excitation.
- Madhuranthakam AJ, Busse RF, Brittain JH, Rofsky NM, Alsop DC Magn Reson Med 2008 Jun 59 6 1386-93
- Contrast-enhanced MR angiography of the peripheral vasculature with a continuously moving table and modified elliptical centric acquisition.
- Madhuranthakam AJ, Hu HH, Kruger DG, Glockner JF, Riederer SJ Radiology 2006 Jul 240 1 222-9
- CEST-Dixon for human breast lesion characterization at 3 T: A preliminary study.
- Zhang S, Seiler S, Wang X, Madhuranthakam AJ, Keupp J, Knippa EE, Lenkinski RE, Vinogradov E Magn Reson Med 2018 Jan
- The potential role of IDEAL MRI for identification of lipids and hemorrhage in carotid artery plaques.
- Khosa F, Clough RE, Wang X, Madhuranthakam AJ, Greenman RL Magn Reson Imaging 2017 Dec
- Z-spectrum appearance and interpretation in the presence of fat: Influence of acquisition parameters.
- Zhang S, Keupp J, Wang X, Dimitrov I, Madhuranthakam AJ, Lenkinski RE, Vinogradov E Magn Reson Med 2017 Sep
Honors & Awards
- Summa Cum Laude Merit Award
International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2017)
- Magna Cum Laude Merit Awards
International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2016-2017)
- Distinguished Reviewer
Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (2014-2017)
- Distinguished Reviewer
Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2012-2017)
- ISMRM Travel Award
Presentations at the annual scientific meetings of International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2003-2005)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Center for Advanced Scientific Research Fellowship
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) (1999)
- American Heart Association (2013-2017)
- International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) (2001)