Dr. Courtney is originally from New Hampshire. He initially was drawn to cancer research as an undergraduate at Dartmouth College, where he studied chromium carcinogenesis in the laboratory of Dr. Karen Wetterhahn. He received his M.D. and his Ph.D. in molecular cancer biology from Duke University through the Medical Scientist Training Program. After completing his residency training in Internal Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, Dr. Courtney completed his medical oncology fellowship at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute / Dana-Farber Harvard Cancer Center. There he pursued post-doctoral studies in signal transduction and cancer metabolism in the laboratory of Dr. Lewis Cantley. Following his fellowship, Dr. Courtney continued on as faculty at Harvard Medical School and as an attending oncologist at Dana-Farber in the Lank Center for Genitourinary Oncology.
Dr. Courtney joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2012. He specializes in genitourinary malignancies, with an emphasis on prostate and kidney cancer. Dr. Courtney's research efforts are focused on developing investigator-initiated clinical trials in prostate and kidney cancer that draw on his background in laboratory research and through collaborations with the outstanding basic scientists at UTSW.
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Duke University School of Medicine (2001)
- Graduate School
- Duke University School of Medicine (2001)
- Medical School
- Duke University School of Medicine (2002)
- University of California, San Francisco (2005), Internal Medicine
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (2008), Oncology
- Clinical-translational research in genitourinary oncology
- Industry- and cooperative group-sponsored trials in genitourinary malignancies
- Investigator-initiated clinical trials in kidney cancer
- Investigator-initiated clinical trials in prostate cancer
- Novel biomarkers and therapeutics in prostate and kidney cancer
- Blocking monocytic myeloid-derived suppressor cell function via anti-DC-HIL/GPNMB antibody restores the in vitro integrity of T-cells from cancer patients.
- Kobayashi M, Chung JS, Beg M, Arriaga Y, Verma UN, Courtney K, Mansour JC, Haley B, Khan SA, Horiuchi Y, Ramani V, Harker D, Gopal P, Araghizadeh F, Cruz PD, Ariizumi K Clin. Cancer Res. 2018 Jul
- Improved survival outcomes for kidney cancer patients with brain metastases.
- Bowman I, Christie A, Bent A, Mickey B, Hammers H, Brugarolas J, Courtney K, Nedzi L, Hannan R, Timmerman R, Barnett S, Stojadinovic S, Whitworth T, Patel T, Le T, Arriaga Y, Wardak Z. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer. 2018
- Natural history of 'second' biochemical failure after salvage radiation therapy for prostate cancer: a multi-institution study.
- Tumati V, Jackson WC, Abugharib AE, Raj G, Roehrborn C, Lotan Y, Courtney K, Bagrodia A, Gahan JC, Zumsteg ZS, Folkert MR, Laine AM, Hannan R, Spratt DE, Desai NB. BJU Int 2018 121 365-372
- Apalutamide Treatment and Metastasis-free Survival in Prostate Cancer.
- Smith MR, Saad F, Chowdhury S, Oudard S, Hadaschik BA, Graff JN, Olmos D, Mainwaring PN, Lee JY, Uemura H, Lopez-Gitlitz A, Trudel GC, Espina BM, Shu Y, Park YC, Rackoff WR, Yu MK, and Small EJ, et al., for the SPARTAN Investigators* N Engl J Med. 2018
- Safety and efficacy of concurrent immune checkpoint inhibitors and hypofractionated body radiotherapy.
- Mohamad O, Diaz de Leon A, Schroeder S, Leiker A, Christie A, Zhang-Velten E, Trivedi L, Khan S, Desai NB, Laine A, Albuquerque K, Iyengar P, Arriaga Y, Courtney K, Gerber DE, Hammers H, Choy H, Timmerman R, Brugarolas J, Hannan R Oncoimmunology 2018 7 7 e1440168
- Changing trends in utilization of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer.
- Krabbe LM, Westerman ME, Margulis V, Raj GV, Sagalowsky AI, Courtney K, Arriaga Y, Lotan Y Can J Urol 2015 22 7865-7875
- Enzalutamide in metastatic prostate cancer before chemotherapy.
- Beer TM, Armstrong AJ, Rathkopf DE, Loriot Y, Sternberg CN, Higano CS, Iversen P, Bhattacharya S, Carles J, Chowdhury S, Davis ID, de Bono JS, Evans CP, Fizazi K, Joshua AM, Kim CS, Kimura G, Mainwaring P, Mansbach H, Miller K, Noonberg SB, Perabo F, Phung D, Saad F, Scher HI, Taplin ME, Venner PM, Tombal B; PREVAIL Investigators. NEJM 2014 371 424-433
- Identification of CDCP1 as a hypoxia-inducible factor 2? (HIF-2?) target gene that is associated with survival in clear cell renal cell carcinoma patients.
- Emerling BM, Benes CH, Poulogiannis G, Bell EL, Courtney K, Liu H, Choo-Wing R, Bellinger G, Tsukazawa KS, Brown V, Signoretti S, Soltoff SP, and Cantley LC. PNAS 2013 110 3483-3488.
- Phase II trial of RAD001 and bicalutamide for castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC).
- Nakabayashi M, Werner L, Courtney KD, Buckle G, Oh WK, Bubley GJ, Hayes JH, Weckstein D, Elfiky A, Sims DM, Kantoff PW, Taplin ME. BJU International 2012 110 1729-35
- Pyruvate kinase M2 activators promote tetramer formation and suppress tumorigenesis.
- Anastasiou D, Yu Y, Israelsen WJ, Jiang JK, Boxer MB, Hong BS, Tempel W, Dimov S, Shen M, Jha A, Yang H, Mattaini KR, Metallo CM, Fiske BP, Courtney KD, Malstrom S, Khan TM, Kung C, Skoumbourdis AP, Veith H, Southall N, Walsh MJ, Brimacombe KR, Leister W, Lunt SY, Johnson ZR, Yen KE, Kunii K, Davidson SM, Christofk HR, Austin CP, Inglese J, Harris MH, Asara JM, Stephanopoulos G, Salituro FG, Jin S, Dang L, Auld DS, Park HW, Cantley LC, Thomas CJ, Vander Heiden MG Nature Chemical Biology 2012 8 839-47
PI3K. In Molecular Oncology: Causes of Cancer and Targets for Treatment
Courtney KD, Cantley LC (2012).
The role of ascorbate in metabolism and genotoxicity of chromium (VI).. In Genetic Response to Metals.
Wetterhahn KE, Stearns DM, Misra M, Giangrande PH, Phieffer LS, Kennedy LJ, and Courtney KD. (1995). New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc.
PI3K enters beta-testing.. In Cell Metabolism
Shaywitz AJ, Courtney KD, Patnaik A, and Cantley LC. (2008).
Honors & Awards
- John W. Boddie, Ph.D. & Joan Reisch, Ph.D. Fund in Prostate Cancer Research in Honor of Dr. Kevin Courtney
- Wheels for Wellness Classic Hero Award of Gratitude from the Wheels for Wellness Foundation and Moncrief Cancer Institute
- UT Southwestern Golden Pager Award
- Career Development Award
Genentech, Inc. Dana-Farber/Partners Cancer Center (2008)
- Young Investigator Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)
- Sigma Xi
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)