Kevin Courtney, M.D., Ph.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Kevin Dale Courtney, M.D., Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Division of Hematology and Oncology. He specializes in prostate cancer, kidney cancer, and other genitourinary cancers and serves as co-leader of the Genitourinary Oncology Disease-Oriented Team at UT Southwestern’s Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center.
A native of New Hampshire, Dr. Courtney earned his medical degree and a doctorate in molecular cancer biology at Duke University. He completed a residency in internal medicine at the University of California, San Francisco and then received advanced training in through a clinical fellowship medical oncology at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Dana-Farber Harvard Cancer Center in Boston, and a postdoctoral research fellowship at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School. He also holds a master’s degree in clinical sciences from UT Southwestern.
Board-certified in medical oncology, he served on the faculty of Harvard Medical School and joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2012.
Dr. Courtney’s clinical and translational research efforts focus on prostate and kidney cancer and other genitourinary cancers. His investigations have led to more than 40 publications in peer-reviewed journals, reviews, and editorials.
He is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. He also serves as medical advisor to the North Texas Prostate Cancer Coalition, a volunteer organization of prostate cancer survivors and family members.
- Graduate School
- Duke University School of Medicine (2001)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Duke University School of Medicine (2001)
- Medical School
- Duke University School of Medicine (2002)
- University of California, San Francisco (2005), Internal Medicine
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (2008), Oncology
- Clinical-translational research in genitourinary oncology
- Industry- and cooperative group-sponsored trials in genitourinary malignancies
- Investigator-initiated clinical trials in kidney cancer
- Investigator-initiated clinical trials in prostate cancer
- Novel biomarkers and therapeutics in prostate and kidney cancer
- Isotope Tracing of Human Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinomas Demonstrates Suppressed Glucose Oxidation In Vivo.
- Courtney KD, Bezwada D, Mashimo T, Pichumani K, Vemireddy V, Funk AM, Wimberly J, McNeil SS, Kapur P, Lotan Y, Margulis V, Cadeddu JA, Pedrosa I, DeBerardinis RJ, Malloy CR, Bachoo RM, Maher EA Cell Metab. 2018 Aug
- Phase I Dose-Escalation Trial of PT2385, a First-in-Class Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-2a Antagonist in Patients With Previously Treated Advanced Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Courtney KD, Infante JR, Lam ET, Figlin RA, Rini BI, Brugarolas J, Zojwalla NJ, Lowe AM, Wang K, Wallace EM, Josey JA, Choueiri TK J. Clin. Oncol. 2017 Dec JCO2017742627
- Targeting Renal Cell Carcinoma with a HIF-2 antagonist.
- Chen W, Hill H, Christie A, Kim MS, Holloman E, Pavia-Jimenez A, Homayoun F, Ma Y, Patel N, Yell P, Hao G, Yousuf Q, Joyce A, Pedrosa I, Geiger H, Zhang H, Chang J, Gardner KH, Bruick RK, Reeves C, Hwang TH, Courtney K, Frenkel E, Sun X, Zojwalla N, Wong T, Rizzi JP, Wallace EM, Josey JA, Xie Y, Xie XJ, Kapur P, McKay RM, Brugarolas J Nature 2016 Sep
- A Phase I Study of Everolimus and Docetaxel in Patients With Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer.
- Courtney KD, Manola JB, Elfiky AA, Ross R, Oh WK, Yap JT, Van den Abbeele AD, Ryan CW, Beer TM, Loda M, Priolo C, Kantoff P, Taplin ME Clin Genitourin Cancer 2014 Oct
- The evolving paradigm of second-line hormonal therapy options for castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Courtney KD, Taplin ME Curr Opin Oncol 2012 May 24 3 272-7
- The PI3K pathway as drug target in human cancer
- Courtney KD, Corcoran RB, Engelman JA Journal of Clinical Oncology 2010 28 1075-83
- Optimizing recent advances in metastatic renal cell carcinoma
- Courtney KD, Choueiri TK Current Oncology Reports 2009 11 218-226
- HIF-2 Complex Dissociation, Target Inhibition, and Acquired Resistance with PT2385, a First-in-Class HIF-2 Inhibitor, in Patients with Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Courtney KD*, Ma Y*, Diaz de Leon A*, Christie A, Xie Z, Woolford L, Singla N, Joyce A, Hill H, Madhuranthakam AJ, Yuan Q, Xi Y, Zhang Y, Chang J, Fatunde O, Arriaga Y, Frankel AE, Kalva S, Zhang S, McKenzie T, Reig Torras O, Figlin RA, Rini BI, McKay RM, Kapur P, Wang T, Pedrosa I, Brugarolas J. Clin Cancer Res. 2019
- Salvage Radiotherapy for Nodal Oligorecurrent Prostate Cancer: A Step Towards Predictive Criteria for Metastasis-Directed Therapy in Prostate Cancer?
- Desai NB, Courtney K, Subramaniam RM, Cadeddu JA. Eur Urol. 2019 76 740-742
- MCT2 mediates concentration-dependent inhibition of glutamine metabolism by MOG.
- Fets L, Driscoll PC, Grimm F, Jain A, Nunes PM, Gounis M, Doglioni G, Papageorgiou G, Ragan TJ, Campos S, Silva Dos Santos M, MacRae JI, O'Reilly N, Wright AJ, Benes CH, Courtney KD, House D, Anastasiou D Nat. Chem. Biol. 2018 Nov 14 11 1032-1042
PI3K. In Molecular Oncology: Causes of Cancer and Targets for Treatment
Courtney KD, Cantley LC (2012).
The role of ascorbate in metabolism and genotoxicity of chromium (VI).. In Genetic Response to Metals.
Wetterhahn KE, Stearns DM, Misra M, Giangrande PH, Phieffer LS, Kennedy LJ, and Courtney KD. (1995). New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc.
PI3K enters beta-testing.. In Cell Metabolism
Shaywitz AJ, Courtney KD, Patnaik A, and Cantley LC. (2008).
Honors & Awards
- John W. Boddie, Ph.D. & Joan Reisch, Ph.D. Fund in Prostate Cancer Research in Honor of Dr. Kevin Courtney
- Wheels for Wellness Classic Hero Award of Gratitude from the Wheels for Wellness Foundation and Moncrief Cancer Institute
- UT Southwestern Golden Pager Award
- Career Development Award
Genentech, Inc. Dana-Farber/Partners Cancer Center (2008)
- Young Investigator Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)
- Sigma Xi
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)