Dr. Courtney is originally from New Hampshire. He initially was drawn to cancer research as an undergraduate at Dartmouth College, where he studied chromium carcinogenesis in the laboratory of Dr. Karen Wetterhahn. He received his M.D. and his Ph.D. in molecular cancer biology from Duke University through the Medical Scientist Training Program. After completing his residency training in Internal Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, Dr. Courtney completed his medical oncology fellowship at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute / Dana-Farber Harvard Cancer Center. There he pursued post-doctoral studies in signal transduction and cancer metabolism in the laboratory of Dr. Lewis Cantley. Following his fellowship, Dr. Courtney continued on as faculty at Harvard Medical School and as an attending oncologist at Dana-Farber in the Lank Center for Genitourinary Oncology.
Dr. Courtney joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2012. He specializes in genitourinary malignancies, with an emphasis on prostate and kidney cancer. Dr. Courtney's research efforts are focused on developing investigator-initiated clinical trials in prostate and kidney cancer that draw on his background in laboratory research and through collaborations with the outstanding basic scientists at UTSW.
- Graduate School
- Duke University School of Medicine (2001)
- Medical School
- Duke University School of Medicine (2002)
- University of California, San Francisco (2005), Internal Medicine
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (2008), Oncology
- Clinical-translational research in genitourinary oncology
- Industry- and cooperative group-sponsored trials in genitourinary malignancies
- Investigator-initiated clinical trials in kidney cancer
- Investigator-initiated clinical trials in prostate cancer
- Novel biomarkers and therapeutics in prostate and kidney cancer
- Isotope Tracing of Human Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinomas Demonstrates Suppressed Glucose Oxidation In Vivo.
- Courtney KD, Bezwada D, Mashimo T, Pichumani K, Vemireddy V, Funk AM, Wimberly J, McNeil SS, Kapur P, Lotan Y, Margulis V, Cadeddu JA, Pedrosa I, DeBerardinis RJ, Malloy CR, Bachoo RM, Maher EA Cell Metab. 2018 Aug
- Phase I Dose-Escalation Trial of PT2385, a First-in-Class Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-2a Antagonist in Patients With Previously Treated Advanced Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Courtney KD, Infante JR, Lam ET, Figlin RA, Rini BI, Brugarolas J, Zojwalla NJ, Lowe AM, Wang K, Wallace EM, Josey JA, Choueiri TK J. Clin. Oncol. 2017 Dec JCO2017742627
- Targeting Renal Cell Carcinoma with a HIF-2 antagonist.
- Chen W, Hill H, Christie A, Kim MS, Holloman E, Pavia-Jimenez A, Homayoun F, Ma Y, Patel N, Yell P, Hao G, Yousuf Q, Joyce A, Pedrosa I, Geiger H, Zhang H, Chang J, Gardner KH, Bruick RK, Reeves C, Hwang TH, Courtney K, Frenkel E, Sun X, Zojwalla N, Wong T, Rizzi JP, Wallace EM, Josey JA, Xie Y, Xie XJ, Kapur P, McKay RM, Brugarolas J Nature 2016 Sep
- A Phase I Study of Everolimus and Docetaxel in Patients With Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer.
- Courtney KD, Manola JB, Elfiky AA, Ross R, Oh WK, Yap JT, Van den Abbeele AD, Ryan CW, Beer TM, Loda M, Priolo C, Kantoff P, Taplin ME Clin Genitourin Cancer 2014 Oct
- The evolving paradigm of second-line hormonal therapy options for castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Courtney KD, Taplin ME Curr Opin Oncol 2012 May 24 3 272-7
- The PI3K pathway as drug target in human cancer
- Courtney KD, Corcoran RB, Engelman JA Journal of Clinical Oncology 2010 28 1075-83
- Optimizing recent advances in metastatic renal cell carcinoma
- Courtney KD, Choueiri TK Current Oncology Reports 2009 11 218-226
- MCT2 mediates concentration-dependent inhibition of glutamine metabolism by MOG.
- Fets L, Driscoll PC, Grimm F, Jain A, Nunes PM, Gounis M, Doglioni G, Papageorgiou G, Ragan TJ, Campos S, Silva Dos Santos M, MacRae JI, O'Reilly N, Wright AJ, Benes CH, Courtney KD, House D, Anastasiou D Nat. Chem. Biol. 2018 Nov 14 11 1032-1042
- The Abl interactor proteins localized to sites of actin polymerization at the tips of lamellipodia and filopodia
- Stradal T, Courtney KD, Rottner K, Hahne P, Small JV, Pendergast AM Current Biology 2001 11 891-5
- Localization and phosphorylation of Abl-interactor proteins, Abi-1 and Abi-2, in the developing nervous system
- Courtney KD, Grove M, Vandongen H, Vandongen A, LaMantia A-S, Pendergast AM Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience 2000 16 244-57
PI3K. In Molecular Oncology: Causes of Cancer and Targets for Treatment
Courtney KD, Cantley LC (2012).
Honors & Awards
- John W. Boddie, Ph.D. & Joan Reisch, Ph.D. Fund in Prostate Cancer Research in Honor of Dr. Kevin Courtney
- Wheels for Wellness Classic Hero Award of Gratitude from the Wheels for Wellness Foundation and Moncrief Cancer Institute
- UT Southwestern Golden Pager Award
- Career Development Award
Genentech, Inc. Dana-Farber/Partners Cancer Center (2008)
- Young Investigator Award
American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)
- Sigma Xi
- Phi Beta Kappa
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)