Joachim Herz graduated from Medical School at the University of Heidelberg, Germany, in 1983. He continued training as a resident in surgery in Germany and England until he joined the European Molecular Biology Laboratory in 1985. There, he received training in Molecular Biology and conducted research work that included the identification and cloning of a novel member of the LDL receptor gene family, the LDL receptor-related protein (LRP). In 1989 Dr. Herz joined the Department of Molecular Genetics where in 1998 he attained his current position of Professor. He is the holder of the Thomas O. Hicks Family Distinguished Chair in Alzheimer’s Disease Research.
Dr. Herz’s current research focuses on the role of the members of the LDL receptor gene family as signaling receptors in the brain and in the vascular wall. Recent work from his laboratory have defined roles for the LDL receptor gene family in the formation of the mammalian brain, where it regulates the migration and positioning of neurons during embryonic development, and control of vascular wall integrity, where the LRP functions in conjunction with the PDGF receptor.
- Brain Development and Alzheimer's Disease
- Lipid Metabolism and Atherosclerosis
- Physiological functions of the LDL receptor gene family
- Ephrin Bs and canonical Reelin signalling.
- Pohlkamp T, Xiao L, Sultana R, Bepari A, Bock HH, Henkemeyer M, Herz J Nature 2016 Nov 539 7630 E4-E6
- ApoE receptor 2 controls neuronal survival in the adult brain
- Uwe Beffert, Farnas Nematollah-Farsian, Irene Masiulis, Robert Hammer, Sung Ok Yoon, Klaus M. Giehl, and Joachim Herz Current Biology 2006 16 2446-2452
- Reelin Modulates NMDA Receptor Activity in Cortical Neurons.
- Ying Chen, Uwe Beffert, Mert Ertunc, Tie-Shan Tang, Ege T. Kavalali, Ilya Bezprozvanny, Joachim Herz J. Neuroscience 2005 25 8209-8216
- Modulation of Synaptic Plasticity and Memory by Reelin Involves Differential Splicing of the Lipoprotein Receptor Apoer2.
- Uwe Beffert, Edwin J. Weeber, Andre Durudas, Shenfeng Qiu, Irene Masiulis, J. David Sweatt, Wei-Ping Li, Giselind Adelmann, Michael Frotscher, Robert E. Hammer, and Joachim Herz Neuron 2005 47 567-579
- Reelin and ApoE receptors cooperate to enhance hippocampal synaptic plasticity and learning.
- Edwin J. Weeber, Uwe Beffert, Chris Jones, Jill M. Christian, Eckart Forster, J. David Sweatt, and Joachim Herz J Biol Chem. 2002 277 39944-39952
- Direct binding of Reelin to VLDL receptor and ApoE receptor 2 induces tyrosine phosphorylation of the adaptor protein Disabled-1 and modulates the tau phosphorylation
- Thomas Hiesberger, Marion Trommsdorff, Brian W. Howell, Andre Goffinet, Marc Neuron 1999 24 481-489
- Reversal of ApoE4 induced recycling block as a novel prevention approach for Alzheimer's disease.
- Xian X, Pohlkamp T, Durakoglugil MS, Wong CH, Beck JK, Lane-Donovan C, Plattner F, Herz J Elife 2018 Oct 7
- Distal Dendritic Enrichment of HCN1 Channels in Hippocampal CA1 Is Promoted by Estrogen, but Does Not Require Reelin.
- Meseke M, Neumüller F, Brunne B, Li X, Anstötz M, Pohlkamp T, Rogalla MM, Herz J, Rune GM, Bender RA eNeuro 2018 Sep-Oct 5 5
- LRP1 integrates murine macrophage cholesterol homeostasis and inflammatory responses in atherosclerosis.
- Xian X, Ding Y, Dieckmann M, Zhou L, Plattner F, Liu M, Parks JS, Hammer RE, Boucher P, Tsai S, Herz J Elife 2017 Nov 6
- Building a better blood-brain barrier.
- Lane-Donovan C, Herz J Elife 2017 Oct 6
Honors & Awards
- Alexander-von-Humboldt Professorship
- Heinrich-Wieland Prized
International Lipid Research Award (2007)
- Thomas O. and Cinda Hicks Family Distinguished Chair
- Wolfgang Paul Award
Humboldt Foundation of Germany (2001)
- Lucille P. Markey Scholar
- Syntex Scholar