Dr. Herring is the cheif of staff emeritus at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children. He served as the chief of staff for 34 years. Dr. Herring is a professor in the department of orthopaedic surgery at UT Southwestern and is an associate staff member at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas. Dr. Herring has served as chairman of the Pediatric Committee of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and president of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America. He is editor of the 3rd, 4th and 5th editions of Tachdjian’s Pediatic Orthopaedics textbook.
- Medical School
- University of Texas at Austin (1963)
- Baylor University (1967)
- Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease
- Spinal Deformity
- Legg-Calve-Perthes disease. Part I: Classification of radiographis with use of the modified lateral pillar and Stulberg classifications
- Herring, J.A., Kim H.T., Brown R. J Bone and Joint Surgery Am October 2004 86-A (10) 2103-20
- Legg-Calve-Perthes disease. Part II: Prospective multicenter study of the effect of treatment on outcome
- Herring, J.A., Kim, H.T., Brown R. J Bone and Joitn Surgery Am October 2004 86-A (10) 2122-34
- SNTG1, the gene encoding gamma 1- syntrophin: a candidate gene for idiopathic scoliosis
- Bashiardes, S., Veile R., Allen M. et al Human Genetics May 2004 115 (1) 81-9
- Localization of Susceptibility to Familial Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Wise, C.A., Barnes, R, Gillum, J. Herring, J.A. Spine Fall 2000 25 (18) 2372-2380
- A Comparison of Single-Rod Instrumentation with Double-Rod Instrumentation in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Wattenburger, J.M., Richards, B. S., Herring, J.A. Spine Summer 2000 25 (13) 1680-1688
- Prevalence of Obesity in Patients With Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease.
- Neal DC, Alford TH, Moualeu A, Jo CH, Herring JA, Kim HK J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2016 Jul
- Idiopathic Versus Syrinx-Related Scoliosis: How Different Are They? Commentary on an article by Shifu Sha, PhD, et al.: "Does Surgical Correction of Right Thoracic Scoliosis in Syringomyelia Produce Outcomes Similar to Those in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis?".
- Herring JA J Bone Joint Surg Am 2016 Feb 98 4 e16
- A PAX1 enhancer locus is associated with susceptibility to idiopathic scoliosis in females.
- Sharma S, Londono D, Eckalbar WL, Gao X, Zhang D, Mauldin K, Kou I, Takahashi A, Matsumoto M, Kamiya N, Murphy KK, Cornelia R, Herring JA, Burns D, Ahituv N, Ikegawa S, Gordon D, Wise CA Nat Commun 2015 6 6452
- A glimpse into Texas Scottish Rite Hospital's educational, clinical care, and research development.
- Herring JA, Birch JG, Johnston CE, Richards BS J Pediatr Orthop B 2014 Aug
- Perfusion MRI in Early Stage of Legg-Calvé-Perthes Disease to Predict Lateral Pillar Involvement: A Preliminary Study.
- Kim HK, Wiesman KD, Kulkarni V, Burgess J, Chen E, Brabham C, Ikram H, Du J, Lu A, Kulkarni AV, Dempsey M, Herring JA J Bone Joint Surg Am 2014 Jul 96 14 1152-1160
Tachjdian's Procedures in Pediatric Orthopaedics from the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
(Ed.) (2016). Philadelphia, Elsevier
Tachdjian's Pediatric Orthopaedics from the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children, 5th Edition
(Ed.) (2014). Philadelphia, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- AAOS Achievement Award, AAOS 2012
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of the German Speaking Countries, 2014
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Scoliosis Research Society, 2018
- Russell A. Hibbs Basic Science Award, Scoliosis Research Society, 2014 & 2012
- Dallas County Medical Society (2000)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Pediatric Orthopedic Society of North America
- Scoliosis Research Society
- Texas Orthopedic Association