Dr. Harvey’s expertise is in the clinical management of complicated epilepsy. Since graduating from his epilepsy fellowship program, he has sought positions that would reflect his training in the management of uncontrolled seizures. At the end of his fellowship, Dr. Harvey accepted an academic appointment with an epilepsy program that included traditional therapies for epilepsy juxtaposed surgical intervention and clinical trials.
In 1997 Dr. Harvey joined a large multi-specialty neurology group in Dallas and assisted in developing epilepsy programs at 2 large well-recognized private hospitals. Those programs provided advance treatment options including medication research trials. Participation in industry sponsored clinical research trials has always been a part of Dr. Harvey’s practice. The trials have been integral in providing comprehensive options and care for those with uncontrolled seizures and Dr. Harvey has participated in more than 75 drug and device trials.
Dr. Harvey joined the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW), Department of Neurology, Epilepsy section in 2017. The epilepsy program at UTSW is certified at the highest level and provides all treatment modalities available for seizures. The comprehensive program encompasses clinical management, neuroimaging, neuropsychometric evaluations, nuclear medicine for epilepsy and neurosurgery for epilepsy. Available evaluations and therapies included invasive EEG monitoring, brain mapping, resective epilepsy surgery and implantable devices for epilepsy. As part of UT Southwestern’s broad network of providers that care for individuals with epilepsy of all types, Dr. Harvey is dedicated to comprehensive care and navigating options for all patients with seizures.
- Medical School
- UNT Health Science Center Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (1988)
- University of Texas Medical Branch Hospital (1989), Transitional Year
- University of Texas Medical Branch Hospital (1992), Neurology
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (1994), Epilepsy
- Brain Mapping
- Clinical drug trials
- Devices for epilepsy
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Surgical treatment of epilepsy
- "Feature Selection Using F-statistic Values for EEG Signal Anayysis"
- Peng G, Nourani M, Harvey J, Dave H IEEE Xplore 2020 Aug
- Cannabis and Epilepsy.
- Doyle A, Harvey J, J Dual Diagn 2020 Jan-Mar 16 1 75-82
- Efficacy and safety of eslicarbazepine acetate monotherapy in patients converting from carbamazepine.
- Pazdera L, Sperling MR, Harvey JH, Sam MC, Strom LA, Blum D, Grinnell T, Cheng H Epilepsia 2018 Feb
- Influence of titration schedule and maintenance dose on the tolerability of adjunctive eslicarbazepine acetate: An integrated analysis of three randomized placebo-controlled trials.
- Krauss G, Biton V, Harvey JH, Elger C, Trinka E, Soares da Silva P, Gama H, Cheng H, Grinnell T, Blum D Epilepsy Res. 2017 Nov 139 1-8
- Detection of generalized tonic-clonic seizures using surface electromyographic monitoring.
- Halford JJ, Sperling MR, Nair DR, Dlugos DJ, Tatum WO, Harvey J, French JA, Pollard JR, Faught E, Noe KH, Henry TR, Jetter GM, Lie OV, Morgan LC, Girouard MR, Cardenas DP, Whitmire LE, Cavazos JE, Epilepsia 2017 11 58 11 1861-1869
- Automated seizure detection using limited-channel EEG and non-linear dimension reduction.
- Birjandtalab J, Baran Pouyan M, Cogan D, Nourani M, Harvey J, Comput. Biol. Med. 2017 03 82 49-58
- Multi-Biosignal Analysis for Epileptic Seizure Monitoring.
- Cogan D, Birjandtalab J, Nourani M, Harvey J, Nagaraddi V, Int J Neural Syst 2017 Feb 27 1 1650031
- Efficacy and safety of conversion to monotherapy with eslicarbazepine acetate in adults with uncontrolled partial-onset seizures: a randomized historical-control phase III study based in North America.
- Sperling MR, Harvey J, Grinnell T, Cheng H, Blum D, Epilepsia 2015 Apr 56 4 546-55
- Eslicarbazepine acetate as adjunctive therapy in patients with uncontrolled partial-onset seizures: Results of a phase III, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.
- Sperling MR, Abou-Khalil B, Harvey J, Rogin JB, Biraben A, Galimberti CA, Kowacs PA, Hong SB, Cheng H, Blum D, Nunes T, Soares-da-Silva P, Epilepsia 2015 Feb 56 2 244-53
- Epileptic seizure detection using wristworn biosensors.
- Cogan D, Nourani M, Harvey J, Nagaraddi V, Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2015 2015 5086-9
Honors & Awards
- Chairman, Epilepsy Foundation of Texas Professional Advisory Board
- Fellow, American Epilepsy Society
- Texas Super Doctor
Listed in Texas Monthly Magazine, Awarded by Super Doctors® (2011-2020)
- Member, The Epilepsy Study Consortium
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society (1994)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1994)
- American Epilepsy Society (1992)
- Texas Neurological Society (1991)
- American Academy of Neurology (1989)
- Texas Medical Association (1988)