Rebecca S. Gruchalla, M.D., Ph.D., is Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics and Director of the Division of Allergy and Immunology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. She also holds the William A. Sellars M.D. and Joyce M. Sellars Distinguished Chair in Allergy and Immunology. Dr. Gruchalla received her PhD and medical degrees from UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. After completing internal medicine training at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and allergy and immunology training at UT Southwestern, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty. Dr. Gruchalla conducts clinical research in the area of inner city pediatric asthma and she has been leading NIAID-funded inner city pediatric asthma studies since 1994. Dr. Gruchalla currently is participating in the multi-site Inner City Asthma Consortium as the Dallas-site director. Dr. Gruchalla is a past member of the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology and the Board of Directors of the American Board of Allergy and Immunology.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1985)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1986), Internal Medicine
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1988), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1991), Allergy & Immunology
- Pediatric Asthma Clinical Research
- Can We Predict Fall Asthma Exacerbations? Validation Of The Seasonal Asthma Exacerbation Index.
- Hoch HE, Calatroni A, West JB, Liu AH, Gergen PJ, Gruchalla RS, Hershey KG, Kercsmar CM, Kim H, Lamm CI, Makhija MM, Mitchell HE, Teach SJ, Wildfire JJ, Busse WW, Szefler SJ J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2017 Feb
- Preventing peanut allergy through early consumption--ready for prime time?
- Gruchalla RS, Sampson HA N. Engl. J. Med. 2015 Feb 372 9 875-7
- IgE cross-linking critically impairs human monocyte function by blocking phagocytosis.
- Pyle DM, Yang VS, Gruchalla RS, Farrar JD, Gill MA J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2013 Feb 131 2 491-500.e5
- Randomized trial of omalizumab (anti-IgE) for asthma in inner-city children.
- Busse WW, Morgan WJ, Gergen PJ, Mitchell HE, Gern JE, Liu AH, Gruchalla RS, Kattan M, Teach SJ, Pongracic JA, Chmiel JF, Steinbach SF, Calatroni A, Togias A, Thompson KM, Szefler SJ, Sorkness CA N. Engl. J. Med. 2011 Mar 364 11 1005-15
- Counterregulation between the FcepsilonRI pathway and antiviral responses in human plasmacytoid dendritic cells.
- Gill MA, Bajwa G, George TA, Dong CC, Dougherty II, Jiang N, Gan VN, Gruchalla RS J. Immunol. 2010 Jun 184 11 5999-6006
- Management of asthma based on exhaled nitric oxide in addition to guidelines-based treatment for inner-city adolescents and young adults: a randomized controlled trial
- Szefler AJ, Mitchell H, Sorkness CA, Gergen PJ, O’Connor GT, Morgan WJ, Kattan M, Pongracic JA, Teach SA, Bloomberg GR, Eggleston PA, Gruchalla RS, Kercsmar CM, Liu AH, Wildfire JJ, Curry MD, Busse WW Lancet 2008 372 (9643) 1065-72
- The Inner City Asthma Study: Relationships between sensitivity, exposure and morbidity
- Gruchalla RS, Pongracic J, Plaut M, Evans R, Visness CM, Walter M, Crain EF, Kattan M, Morgan WJ, Steinback S, Stout J, Malindzak G, Smartt E, Mitchell H Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology March 2005 115 584-91
- The Inner City Asthma Study: A home-based environmental intervention in inner city children with asthma
- Morgan WJ, Crain E, Gruchalla RS, O’Connor G, Kattan M, Evans R, Stout J, Malindzak G, Smartt E, Plaut M, Walter M, Vaughn B, Mitchell H N England Journal of Medicine August 2004 351 1068-80
- Home and allergic characteristics of children with asthma in seven US urban communities and design of an environmental intervention: the Inner-City Asthma Study
- Crain EF, Walter, M, O’Conner GT, Mitchell H, Gruchalla RS, Kattan M, Malindzak GS, Enright P, Evans R 3rd, Morgan W, Stout JW Environ Health Perspect September 2002 9/110 939-945
- Drug metabolism, danger signals and drug hypersensitivity
- Gruchalla RS J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001 108 475-478
Honors & Awards
- America's Top Doctors
Castle Connolly (2018)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2009-2018)
- Gail G. Shapiro Memorial Lectureship
Lectureship Award (2007)
- Women’s Involvement in the AAAAI
Special Recognition Award (2007)
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly (2005-2018)
- AAAAI Special Recognition Award
Editorial Award (2004)
- Aventis/AAAAI Women Physician in Allergy Grant Award
Research Award (2003)
- Boehringer-Ingelheim AAAI/NIAID
Research Award (1992)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
- American Thoracic Society