Rebecca S. Gruchalla, M.D., Ph.D., is Professor of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics and Director of the Division of Allergy and Immunology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. She also holds the William A. Sellars M.D. and Joyce M. Sellars Distinguished Chair in Allergy and Immunology. Dr. Gruchalla received her PhD and medical degrees from UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. After completing internal medicine training at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and allergy and immunology training at UT Southwestern, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty. Dr. Gruchalla conducts clinical research in the area of inner city pediatric asthma and she has been leading NIAID-funded inner city pediatric asthma studies since 1994. Dr. Gruchalla currently is participating in the multi-site Inner City Asthma Consortium as the Dallas-site director. Dr. Gruchalla is a past member of the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology and the Board of Directors of the American Board of Allergy and Immunology.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1985)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1986), Internal Medicine
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1988), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1991), Allergy & Immunology
- Pediatric Asthma Clinical Research
- Management of asthma based on exhaled nitric oxide in addition to guidelines-based treatment for inner-city adolescents and young adults: a randomized controlled trial
- Szefler SJ, Mitchell H, Sorkness CA, Gergen PJ, O’Connor GT, Morgan WJ, Kattan M, Pongracic JA, Teach SA, Bloomberg GR, Eggleston PA, Gruchalla RS, Kercsmar CM, Liu AH, Wildfire JJ, Curry MD, Busse WW Lancet 2008 372 (9643) 1065-72
- The Inner City Asthma Study: Relationships between sensitivity, exposure and morbidity
- Gruchalla RS, Pongracic J, Plaut M, Evans R, Visness CM, Walter M, Crain EF, Kattan M, Morgan WJ, Steinback S, Stout J, Malindzak G, Smartt E, Mitchell H Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology March 2005 115 584-91
- Safety of cephalosporin administration to patients with histories of penicillin allergy
- Daulat S, Solensky R, Earl HS, Casey W, Gruchalla J Allergy Clin Immunol June 2004 6/113 1220-1222
- Lack of penicillin resensitization in patients with a history of penicillin allergy
- Solensky R, Earl HS, Gruchalla RS. Archives of Internal Medicine 2002 162 822-826
- Clinical evaluation of drug-induced disease
- Gruchalla RS Lancet 2000 356 1505-1511
- Rhinitis in Children and Adolescents with Asthma: Ubiquitous, Difficult to Control, and Associated with Asthma Outcomes.
- Togias A, Gergen PJ, Hu JW, Babineau DC, Wood RA, Cohen RT, Makhija MM, Khurana Hershey GK, Kercsmar CM, Gruchalla RS, Liu AH, Wang E, Kim H, Lamm CI, Bacherier LB, Pillai D, Sigelman SM, Gern JE, Busse WW J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2018 Sep
- Effects of Omalizumab on Rhinovirus Infections, Illnesses and Exacerbations of Asthma.
- Esquivel A, Busse WW, Calatroni A, Togias AG, Grindle KG, Bochkov YA, Gruchalla RS, Kattan M, Kercsmar CM, Khurana Hershey G, Kim H, Lebeau P, Liu AH, Szefler SJ, Teach SJ, West JB, Wildfire J, Pongracic JA, Gern JE Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2017 Jun
- The nasal methylome and childhood atopic asthma.
- Yang IV, Pedersen BS, Liu AH, O'Connor GT, Pillai D, Kattan M, Misiak RT, Gruchalla R, Szefler SJ, Khurana Hershey GK, Kercsmar C, Richards A, Stevens AD, Kolakowski CA, Makhija M, Sorkness CA, Krouse RZ, Visness C, Davidson EJ, Hennessy CE, Martin RJ, Togias A, Busse WW, Schwartz DA J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2017 May 139 5 1478-1488
- Minimally important differences and risk levels for the Composite Asthma Severity Index.
- Krouse RZ, Sorkness CA, Wildfire JJ, Calatroni A, Gruchalla R, Hershey GKK, Kattan M, Liu AH, Makhija M, Teach SJ, West JB, Wood RA, Zoratti EM, Gergen PJ J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2017 Mar 139 3 1052-1055
- Can We Be Too Clean for Our Own Good? The Hygiene Hypothesis Reviewed.
- Patel S, Gruchalla R Tex Med 2017 Feb 113 2 54-59
Honors & Awards
- America's Top Doctors
Castle Connolly (2018)
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2009-2018)
- Gail G. Shapiro Memorial Lectureship
Lectureship Award (2007)
- Women’s Involvement in the AAAAI
Special Recognition Award (2007)
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly (2005-2018)
- AAAAI Special Recognition Award
Editorial Award (2004)
- Aventis/AAAAI Women Physician in Allergy Grant Award
Research Award (2003)
- Boehringer-Ingelheim AAAI/NIAID
Research Award (1992)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
- American Thoracic Society