Rebecca S. Gruchalla, M.D., Ph.D., is a Professor in the departments of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and Chief of the Division of Allergy and Immunology. She holds the William A. Sellars M.D. and Joyce M. Sellars Distinguished Chair in Allergy and Immunology. She specializes in pediatric asthma.
Originally from Houston, Dr. Gruchalla holds a bachelor’s degree in microbiology from Texas Tech University in Lubbock. She earned her doctorate in immunology and her medical degree at UT Southwestern. She completed her residency in internal medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and her fellowship in allergy and immunology training at UT Southwestern.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Allergy and Immunology, Dr. Gruchalla joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 1990.
Her clinical research focuses on inner-city pediatric asthma. Dr. Gruchalla has been leading NIAID-funded studies on inner-city pediatric asthma since 1994, and served as the Dallas site director of the multisite Inner City Asthma Consortium through 2021.
Her investigations have resulted in more than 80 publications in peer-reviewed journals, reviews, editorials, and book chapters. Additionally, she has presented her findings at scientific conferences throughout the United States and around the world.
Dr. Gruchalla is a past board member of the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology and of the American Board of Allergy and Immunology, where she is a Fellow and also serves on the credential and awards committees. She also is an active member of the Texas Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society, the Texas Medical Association and the American Thoracic Society.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (1985)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1986), Internal Medicine
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1988), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1991), Allergy & Immunology
- Pediatric Asthma Clinical Research
- Management of asthma based on exhaled nitric oxide in addition to guidelines-based treatment for inner-city adolescents and young adults: a randomized controlled trial
- Szefler SJ, Mitchell H, Sorkness CA, Gergen PJ, O’Connor GT, Morgan WJ, Kattan M, Pongracic JA, Teach SA, Bloomberg GR, Eggleston PA, Gruchalla RS, Kercsmar CM, Liu AH, Wildfire JJ, Curry MD, Busse WW Lancet 2008 372 (9643) 1065-72
- The Inner City Asthma Study: Relationships between sensitivity, exposure and morbidity
- Gruchalla RS, Pongracic J, Plaut M, Evans R, Visness CM, Walter M, Crain EF, Kattan M, Morgan WJ, Steinback S, Stout J, Malindzak G, Smartt E, Mitchell H Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology March 2005 115 584-91
- Safety of cephalosporin administration to patients with histories of penicillin allergy
- Daulat S, Solensky R, Earl HS, Casey W, Gruchalla J Allergy Clin Immunol June 2004 6/113 1220-1222
- Lack of penicillin resensitization in patients with a history of penicillin allergy
- Solensky R, Earl HS, Gruchalla RS. Archives of Internal Medicine 2002 162 822-826
- Clinical evaluation of drug-induced disease
- Gruchalla RS Lancet 2000 356 1505-1511
- Clinical Phenotypes of Immediate First-Dose Reactions to mRNA COVID-19: A Multicenter Latent Class Analysis.
- Stone CA, Robinson LB, Li L, Krantz MS, Kwah JH, Ortega G, Mancini C, Wolfson AR, Saff RR, Samarakoon U, Hong DI, Koo G, Chow TG, Gruchalla R, Liao JX, Kuster JK, Price C, Ahola C, Khan DA, Phillips EJ, Banerji A, Blumenthal KG, J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2023 Feb 11 2 458-465.e1
- African-specific alleles modify risk for asthma at the 17q12-q21 locus in African Americans.
- Washington C, Dapas M, Biddanda A, Magnaye KM, Aneas I, Helling BA, Szczesny B, Boorgula MP, Taub MA, Kenny E, Mathias RA, Barnes KC, Khurana Hershey GK, Kercsmar CM, Gereige JD, Makhija M, Gruchalla RS, Gill MA, Liu AH, Rastogi D, Busse W, Gergen PJ, Visness CM, Gold DR, Hartert T, Johnson CC, Lemanske RF, Martinez FD, Miller RL, Ownby D, Seroogy CM, Wright AL, Zoratti EM, Bacharier LB, Kattan M, O'Connor GT, Wood RA, Nobrega MA, Altman MC, Jackson DJ, Gern JE, McKennan CG, Ober C, Genome Med 2022 Sep 14 1 112
- Mepolizumab for urban children with exacerbation-prone eosinophilic asthma in the USA (MUPPITS-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group trial.
- Jackson DJ, Bacharier LB, Gergen PJ, Gagalis L, Calatroni A, Wellford S, Gill MA, Stokes J, Liu AH, Gruchalla RS, Cohen RT, Makhija M, Khurana Hershey GK, O'Connor GT, Pongracic JA, Sherenian MG, Rivera-Spoljaric K, Zoratti EM, Teach SJ, Kattan M, Dutmer CM, Kim H, Lamm C, Sheehan WJ, Segnitz RM, Dill-McFarland KA, Visness CM, Becker PM, Gern JE, Sorkness CA, Busse WW, Altman MC, Lancet 2022 08 400 10351 502-511
- Human Epidemiology and RespOnse to SARS-CoV-2 (HEROS): Objectives, Design and Enrollment Results of a 12-City Remote Observational Surveillance Study of Households with Children using Direct-to-Participant Methods.
- Fulkerson PC, Lussier SJ, Bendixsen CG, Castina SM, Gebretsadik T, Marlin JS, Russell PB, Seibold MA, Everman JL, Moore CM, Snyder BM, Thompson K, Tregoning GS, Wellford S, Arbes SJ, Bacharier LB, Calatroni A, Camargo CA, Dupont WD, Furuta GT, Gruchalla RS, Gupta RS, Hershey GK, Jackson DJ, Johnson CC, Kattan M, Liu AH, Murrison L, Oâ Connor GT, Phipatanakul W, Rivera-Spoljaric K, Rothenberg ME, Seroogy CM, Teach SJ, Zoratti EM, Togias A, Hartert TV, medRxiv 2022 Jul
- Risk factors for SARS-CoV-2 infection and transmission in households with children with asthma and allergy: A prospective surveillance study.
- Seibold MA, Moore CM, Everman JL, Williams BJM, Nolin JD, Fairbanks-Mahnke A, Plender EG, Patel BB, Arbes SJ, Bacharier LB, Bendixsen CG, Calatroni A, Camargo CA, Dupont WD, Furuta GT, Gebretsadik T, Gruchalla RS, Gupta RS, Khurana Hershey GK, Murrison LB, Jackson DJ, Johnson CC, Kattan M, Liu AH, Lussier SJ, O'Connor GT, Rivera-Spoljaric K, Phipatanakul W, Rothenberg ME, Seroogy CM, Teach SJ, Zoratti EM, Togias A, Fulkerson PC, Hartert TV, J Allergy Clin Immunol 2022 Jun
Honors & Awards
- America's Top Doctors
Castle Connolly (2018-2020)
- Best Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2009-2022)
- Gail G. Shapiro Memorial Lectureship
Lectureship Award (2007)
- Women’s Involvement in the AAAAI
Special Recognition Award (2007)
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly (2005-2022)
- AAAAI Special Recognition Award
Editorial Award (2004)
- Aventis/AAAAI Women Physician in Allergy Grant Award
Research Award (2003)
- Boehringer-Ingelheim AAAI/NIAID
Research Award (1992)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
- American Thoracic Society
- Texas Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society
- Texas Medical Association