Deborah I. Friedman, M.D., M.P.H., is a Professor in the Department of Neurology and the Department of Ophthalmology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
She is American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology-certified in neurology, with subspecialty certification in headache medicine by the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties.
Dr. Friedman is a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology, the American Headache Society, and the North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society.
Her research interests include pseudotumor cerebri (idiopathic intracranial hypertension), ischemic optic neuropathy, and migraine therapy.
She has published nearly 100 peer-reviewed articles, authored or co-authored 15 book chapters, and delivered more than 200 lectures and presentations related to her work.
Dr. Friedman is active in many national and international organizations related to her subspecialties. She also serves as the associate editor of Headache, on the editorial boards of Neurology Reviews and Headache Currents, and as a reviewer for a number of neurology journals.
She joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2011.
Dr. Friedman earned her medical degree at Tulane University Medical School. She completed a neurology residency at Baylor College of Medicine and a neuro-ophthalmology fellowship at Doheny Eye Institute in Los Angeles.
She also holds a Master of Public Health degree from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry.
- Medical School
- Tulane University Medical School (1983)
- Good Samaritan Hospital (1984), Internal Medicine
- Baylor College of Medicine (1987), Neurology
- USC/Doheny Eye Institute (1989), Neuro-ophthalmology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (2008), Public Health
- Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (Pseudotumor Cerebri)
- Ischemic Optic Neuropathy
- Migraine Therapy
- Headache in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension.
- Friedman DI Headache 2018 Jul 58 7 931-932
- Use of Most Bothersome Symptom as a Coprimary Endpoint in Migraine Clinical Trials: A Post-Hoc Analysis of the Pivotal ZOTRIP Randomized, Controlled Trial.
- Dodick DW, Tepper SJ, Friedman DI, Gelfand AA, Kellerman DJ, Schmidt PC Headache 2018 May
- Editorial: The Importance of the Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension Treatment Trial.
- Tepper SJ, Friedman DI Headache 2017 Sep 57 8 1301-1302
- The Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension Treatment Trial: A Review of the Outcomes.
- Smith SV, Friedman DI Headache 2017 Jul
- Headache in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension: Findings From the Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension Treatment Trial.
- Friedman DI, Quiros PA, Subramanian PS, Mejico LJ, Gao S, McDermott M, Wall M Headache 2017 Jul
- Should Acetazolamide Be the First-Line Treatment for Patients With Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension?
- Kaufman DI, Friedman DI J Neuroophthalmol 2017 Apr
- Are Blurred Vision and Short-Duration Visual Phenomena Migraine Aura Symptoms?
- Friedman DI, Evans RW Headache 2017 Feb
- Noninvasive vagus DBS-Preliminary study encouraging for chronic migraine.
- Friedman DI Neurology 2016 Jul
- Your Loved One Has Migraines.
- Friedman DI Headache 2016 Jun
- Evolving evidence in adult idiopathic intracranial hypertension: pathophysiology and management.
- Mollan SP, Ali F, Hassan-Smith G, Botfield H, Friedman DI, Sinclair AJ J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatr. 2016 Feb
Trauma, Drugs and Toxins. In Yanoff and Duker: Ophthalmology
Friedman DI, Estronza N. (1998 (revised 2001)). London, Mosby, Lynton House
Pseudotumor Cerebri. In Essentials of Neuro-Ophthalmology
Friedman DI (2005). New York, Thieme
Papilledema. In Walsh and Hoyt's Clinical Neuro-Ophthalmology, 5th edition
Friedman DI (2005). Baltimore, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
High cerebrospinal fluid pressure. In The Headaches, Third Edition
Friedman DI, Corbett JJ (2005). Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Progressive supranuclear palsy: A quarter century of progress. In Current Neurology
Friedman DI, Jankovic J (1989). Chicago, IL, Year Book Medical Publishers
Progressive supranucle¬ar palsy: Motor, neuro-behav¬ioral and neuro-ophthalmic findings.. In Advances in Neurology
Jankovic J, Friedman DI, Pirozzolo FJ, McCrary JA (1990). New York, NY, Raven Press
Disorders of the neuromuscular junction. In Yanoff and Duker: Ophthalmology
Friedman DI (1998 (revised 2001)). London, Mosby, Lynton House
Idiopathic intracranial hypertension. In Neurology: Basic and Clinical Neuroscience
Friedman DI (2006). London, Mosby
Headache associated with abnormalities in intracranial structure or function: High-cerebrospinal-fluid-pressure headache and brain tumor. In Wolff's Headache and Other Face Pain
Friedman DI, Wall M, Silberstein S (2007). New York, Oxford University Press
Headache: Migraine, pseudotumor cerebri syndrome and postnatal. In Neurology Diseases and Pregnancy: A Coordinated Care Model for Best Management, 1st edition
Friedman DI, Masrour S, Hutchinson S (2018). Oxford University Press
Headache and the Eye. In Modern Day Management of Headache: Questions and Answers
Friedman DI, Truong M (2017). New Dehli, Jaypee Brothers
Idiopathic intracranial hypertension. In Modern Day Management of Headache ? Questions and Answers
Friedman DI (2017). New Dehli, Jaypee Brothers
Trauma, Drugs and Toxins. In Yanoff and Duker: Ophthalmology 5th Edition
Mejico LJ, Friedman DI (2019). London, Mosby, Lynton House
Migraine. In Pain Management for Clinicians: A Guide to Assessment and Treatment
Masrour S, Friedman DI (2020). Spinger
Diplopia. In Neurologic Differential Diagnosis: A Case-Based Approach
Friedman DI (2014). Cambridge University Press
Pseudotumor Cerebri. In Clinical Decision Support: Pediatrics
Friedman DI, Liu GT (2013). Wilmington, DE, Decision Support in Medicine, LLC
Secondary Headache Disorders Encountered in Clinical Practice. In Neurology in Practice: Headache
Friedman DI (2013). Oxford, Wiley-Blackwell
Is There a Difference in the Management of Pseudotumor Cerebri in Pregnancy?. In Curbside Consultation in Neuro-Ophthalmology
Friedman DI (2009). SLACK, Inc
Primary Headache Disorders with Ophthalmic Features. In Albert and Jakobiec?s Principles and Practice of Ophthalmology
Friedman DI (2008). Elsevier, Inc.
Headache Associated with High Cerebrospinal Fluid Pressure. In Oxford Textbook of Headache Syndromes
Adesina OO, Reddi S, Friedman DI, Digre K (2020). Oxford University Press
Disordsers of the Neuromuscular Junction. In Yanoff and Duker: Ophthalmolgy, Fifth Edition
Phillips L, Friedman DI (2019). London, Mosby, Lynton House
Honors & Awards
- American Headache Society
Seymour Solomon Award (2018-2018)
Exceptional Women in Medicine (2018)
- Headache: The Journal of Headache and Face Pain
Readers' Choice Award (2018-2018)
- American Headache Society
Above and Beyond Award (2017-2017)
- Vitals Patients' Choice Award
- Top Doctors in North Texas
Top Doctors (2012)
- North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society
Distinguished Service Award (2012-2012)
- Best Doctors in America
Since 1998 (2011)
- Rochester Business Alliance Women's Council
Athena Award Finalist (2011)
- US News and World Report Top Doctors
- Who's Who in America
- Fellow of American Headache Society
- 2000 Notable American Women
- Fellow of American Academy of Neurology
- Fellow, North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society
- Spinal Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak Foundation (2018)
- Headache Organization of Texas (HOOT) (2012)
- United Council for Neurologic Specialties (2011-2013)
- United Council for Neurologic Specialties (2005)
- International Headache Society (2003)
- Women in Neuro-Ophthalmology (1992)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (1990-2016)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (1988-2006)
- North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society (1988)
- American Academy of Neurology (1985)
- American Headache Society (1985)