Dr. Ross received her M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from the Washington University Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) in St. Louis under the mentorship of Dr. Philip Majerus. She then completed her medical residency in Boston at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and oncology fellowship at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute under the mentorship of Drs. Marshall Wolf, Robert Mayer and Gary Gilliland. Her laboratory recently re-located to UTSW from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor where for many years she and her colleagues investigated the basic mechanisms of transformation of normal cells into cancer cells and the refractoriness of cancer cells to targeted drugs (e.g. imatinib). More specifically, their research focused on 1) understanding how cancer cells hijack clathrin trafficking pathways to increase signals from multiple growth factor receptors in parallel (Rao et al., Cancer Cell 2003; 3:471) and 2) understanding how tyrosine kinase oncogene induced cancers resist targeted therapies in vivo (Oravecz-Wilson et al, Cancer Cell 2009; 16:137). Her laboratory at UT Southwestern continues in these pursuits (Ames et al., 2013; Foley et al, 2013 and Philips et al., 2013) as well as investigating mechanism of tumor suppression by BRCA1, a breast and ovarian cancer susceptibility gene (Soyombo et al, 2013). Her clinical practice in Ann Arbor involved breast cancer patients of all stages, and in Dallas she cares for individuals at a high genetic risk for any type of cancer. In addition to her clinical practice and laboratory research, she serves as the director of the UT Southwestern Cancer Genetics program. Her clinical interests provide a continuous reminder that the patient is the reason for her laboratory’s scientific pursuits. Outside of her official job, she has been a strong advocate for funding of basic cancer research having acted from 1997 to 2003 as president of Boston’s “Concert for the Cure”, a non-profit organization that raises money for basic breast cancer research. In addition, she was the associate director of the University of Michigan MSTP. She uses her experience with the Washington University and University of Michigan MSTPs to help recruit and grow UT Southwestern MSTP students into the next generation of physician scientists.
- Medical School
- Washington University School of Medicine (1993)
- Harvard/Brigham and Women's Hospital (1995), Internal Medicine
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (1998), Oncology
- Research Fellowship
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (1999), Oncology
- Cellular Consequences of BRCA1 Mutations
- Endocytosis and Cancer
- Genetics of Cancer Predisposition
- Tyrosine Kinase Oncogenes and their Roles in Leukemia Initiation, Maintenance and Drug Resistance
- Use of Whole Genome Sequencing for Diagnosis and Discovery in the Cancer Genetics Clinic.
- Foley SB, Rios JJ, Mgbemena VE, Robinson LS, Hampel HL, Toland AE, Durham L, Ross TS EBioMedicine 2015 Jan 2 1 74-81
- Use of panel tests in place of single gene tests in the cancer genetics clinic.
- Yorczyk A, Robinson LS, Ross TS Clin. Genet. 2014 Oct
- Epsin deficiency impairs endocytosis by stalling the actin-dependent invagination of endocytic clathrin-coated pits.
- Messa M, Fernandez-Busnadiego R, Sun EW, Chen H, Czapla H, Wrasman K, Wu Y, Ko G, Ross T, Wendland B, De Camilli P Elife 2014 Aug e03311
- An Internal Performance Assessment of CancerGene Connect: An Electronic Tool to Streamline, Measure and Improve the Genetic Counseling Process.
- Pritzlaff M, Yorczyk A, Robinson LS, Pirzadeh-Miller S, Lin T, Euhus D, Ross TS J Genet Couns 2014 Jun
- Toward a therapeutic reduction of imatinib refractory myeloproliferative neoplasm-initiating cells.
- Philips ST, Hildenbrand ZL, Oravecz-Wilson KI, Foley SB, Mgbemena VE, Ross TS Oncogene 2013 Nov
- Expression of BCR/ABL p210 from a Knockin Allele Enhances Bone Marrow Engraftment without Inducing Neoplasia.
- Foley SB, Hildenbrand ZL, Soyombo AA, Magee JA, Wu Y, Oravecz-Wilson KI, Ross TS Cell Rep 2013 Oct 5 1 51-60
- HIP1 Phosphorylation by Receptor Tyrosine Kinases.
- Ames HM, Wang AA, Coughran A, Evaul K, Huang S, Graves CW, Soyombo AA, Ross TS Mol. Cell. Biol. 2013 Jul
- Analysis of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells from a BRCA1 Mutant Family.
- Soyombo AA, Wu Y, Kolski L, Rios JJ, Rakheja D, Chen A, Kehler J, Hampel H, Coughran A, Ross TS Stem Cell Reports 2013 1 4 336-49
- Grace Rock's consent.
- Ross TS Endocr. Relat. Cancer 2012 Aug 19 4 C29-31
- Huntingtin-Interacting Protein 1: A Merkel Cell Carcinoma Marker that Interacts with c-Kit.
- Ames HM, Bichakjian CK, Liu GY, Oravecz-Wilson KI, Fullen DR, Verhaegen ME, Johnson TM, Dlugosz AA, Ross TS J. Invest. Dermatol. 2011 Oct 131 10
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Scientist Award
Burroughs Wellcome Fund (2008)
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Scholar
- Jerome W. Conn Award for Excellence in Research
University of Michigan (2004)
- Damon Runyon Scholar
- American Society of Hematology Scholar
- American Cancer Society Oncology Fellow
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (2004)
- American Association for Cancer Research (1999)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (1999)
- American Society of Hematology (1999)