Xin Liu, Ph.D.
Endowed Title W.W. Caruth, Jr. Scholar in Biomedical Research
Department Green Ctr for Reprod Bio Scncs | Biophysics | Obstetrics and Gynecology
Graduate Programs Molecular Biophysics
Dr. Liu is an Associate Professor in the Cecil H. and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Department of Biophysics. He is W.W. Caruth, Jr. Scholar in Biomedical Research of the UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Dr. Liu did his graduate research with Dr. Ronen Marmorstein at the Wistar Institute and University of Pennsylvania, where he received his Ph.D. in Chemistry in 2007. Dr. Liu was a Jane Coffin Childs postdoctoral fellow with Dr. Roger Kornberg at Stanford University from 2008 to 2011. Dr. Liu joined the faculty of UT Southwestern in 2011.
Dr. Liu studies the molecular and biophysical mechanisms of chromatin, epigenetics and transcription in development and disease. A current focus is to understand how the developmentally regulated heterochromatin is established, maintained and inherited. To achieve this goal, the Liu lab uses various research tools, such as biochemical reconstitution, X-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, proteomics and genomics by next-generation sequencing, to study large assemblies of relevant protein-protein and protein-nucleic acid chromatin complexes.
- Nanjing University - China (2000), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- University of Pennsylvania (2007), Chemistry
- Chromatin and Epigenetics
- Chromatin Dysregulation in Disease
- Non-coding RNAs
- Structural Biology
- CK2-mediated phosphorylation of SUZ12 promotes PRC2 function by stabilizing enzyme active site.
- Gong L, Liu X, Jiao L, Yang X, Lemoff A, Liu X, Nat Commun 2022 Nov 13 1 6781
- A partially disordered region connects gene repression and activation functions of EZH2.
- Jiao L, Shubbar M, Yang X, Zhang Q, Chen S, Wu Q, Chen Z, Rizo J, Liu X, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2020 Jul
- A Dimeric Structural Scaffold for PRC2-PCL Targeting to CpG Island Chromatin.
- Chen S, Jiao L, Liu X, Yang X, Liu X, Mol. Cell 2020 Jan
- Unique Structural Platforms of Suz12 Dictate Distinct Classes of PRC2 for Chromatin Binding.
- Chen S, Jiao L, Shubbar M, Yang X, Liu X Mol. Cell 2018 Mar 69 5 840-852.e5
- Conserved RNA-binding specificity of polycomb repressive complex 2 is achieved by dispersed amino acid patches in EZH2.
- Long Y, Bolanos B, Gong L, Liu W, Goodrich KJ, Yang X, Chen S, Gooding AR, Maegley KA, Gajiwala KS, Brooun A, Cech TR, Liu X Elife 2017 Nov 6
- Polycomb repressive complex 2 in an autoinhibited state.
- Bratkowski M, Yang X, Liu X J. Biol. Chem. 2017 08 292 32 13323-13332
- Structural basis of histone H3K27 trimethylation by an active polycomb repressive complex 2.
- Jiao L, Liu X Science 2015 Oct 350 6258 aac4383
- Disabling Uncompetitive Inhibition of Oncogenic IDH Mutations Drives Acquired Resistance.
- Lyu J, Liu Y, Gong L, Chen M, Madanat YF, Zhang Y, Cai F, Gu Z, Cao H, Kaphle P, Kim YJ, Kalkan FN, Stephens H, Dickerson KE, Ni M, Chen W, Patel P, Mims AS, Borate U, Burd A, Cai SF, Yin CC, You MJ, Chung SS, Collins RH, DeBerardinis RJ, Liu X, Xu J, Cancer Discov 2022 Oct
- PRC2, Chromatin Regulation, and Human Disease: Insights From Molecular Structure and Function.
- Liu X, Liu X, Front Oncol 2022 12 894585
- Posttranslational regulation of FOXA1 by Polycomb and BUB3/USP7 deubiquitin complex in prostate cancer.
- Park SH, Fong KW, Kim J, Wang F, Lu X, Lee Y, Brea LT, Wadosky K, Guo C, Abdulkadir SA, Crispino JD, Fang D, Ntziachristos P, Liu X, Li X, Wan Y, Goodrich DW, Zhao JC, Yu J, Sci Adv 2021 Apr 7 15
Honors & Awards
- Rita Allen Scholar
Rita Allen Foundation (2012)
- CPRIT Scholar in Cancer Research
Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (2011)
- W.W. Caruth, Jr. Scholar in Biomedical Research
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2011)
- Jane Coffin Childs Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research (2008)
- Dr. Monica H.M. Shander Award
The Wistar Institute (2006)