Ryan P. Dumas, M.D., specializes in acute care surgery with a focus on trauma resuscitation and emergency general surgery.
Dr. Dumas earned his medical degree at the Indiana University School of Medicine. He completed a residency in general surgery at UT Southwestern and received advanced training in trauma and surgical critical care through a fellowship at the John Paul Pryor Shock Trauma and Resuscitation Center at Penn at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Board certified in both surgery and surgical critical care, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Dumas conducts and publishes research on trauma surgery, particularly on procedures that use video technology to capture and review trauma resuscitations. Additionally, he has a special interest in the use of endovascular techniques for adjunct hemorrhage control.
He’s on the editorial board of Journal of Endovascular and Hybrid Trauma and Bleeding Management and serves as an ad hoc reviewer for Injury and Trauma Surgery & Acute Care Open.
He is an active member of the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (EAST).
- Medical School
- Indiana University School of Medicine (2011)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016), General Surgery
- University of Pennsylvania (2018), Surgical Critical Care
- Roll the Tape: Implementing and Harnessing the Power of Trauma Video Review.
- Dumas RP, Cook C, Holena DN, Qi Y, Tabone N, Studwell SL, Miglani A, Vella MA, J Surg Educ 2022 Sep
- Trauma video review outperforms prospective real-time data collection for study of resuscitative thoracotomy.
- Rees JR, Maher Z, Dumas RP, Vella MA, Schroeder ME, Milia DJ, Zone AI, Cannon JW, Holena DN, Surgery 2022 Aug
- Developing and Leading a Sustainable Organization for Early Career Acute Care Surgeons: Lessons from the Inaugural AAST Associate Member Council.
- Dumas RP, Bankhead BK, Coleman JR, Dhillon NK, Meizoso JP, Bessoff K, Butler WJ, Strickland M, Dultz LA, Davis K, Bulger EM, Reilly PM, Croce MA, Spain DA, Livingston DH, Brasel K, Coimbra R, Knowlton LM, J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2022 Jul
- Introducing the Safety Threats and Adverse events in Trauma (STAT) taxonomy: standardized classification system for evaluating safety during trauma resuscitation.
- Baletic N, Riggs J, Lebovic G, Petrosoniak A, Dumas RP, Nolan B, Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg 2022 Jun
- A review of COVID-19's impact on modern medical systems from a health organization management perspective.
- Davis B, Bankhead-Kendall BK, Dumas RP, Health Technol (Berl) 2022 Mar 1-10
- Provider Perception of Time During Trauma Resuscitation: A Prospective Quantitative Trauma Video Review Analysis.
- Kuhlenschmidt KM, Choi E, Moonmoon K, Blackwell J, Comish PB, Balentine C, Grant J, Park C, Dultz LA, Shoultz T, Cripps MW, Dumas RP, J Surg Res 2022 Feb 274 207-212
- Monthly Trauma Training and Simulation Are Associated With Improved Resident Skill and Leadership.
- Park C, Lin IC, Grant JL, Dultz LA, Johnson D, Jeter S, Abdelfattah K, Luk S, Cripps M, Dumas RP, J Trauma Nurs 2022 Jan-Feb 01 29 1 29-33
- Resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta: simulation improves performance but may require interval training to prevent skill degradation.
- Park C, Grant J, Garigipati P, Kuhlenschmidt K, Black G, Bhat S, Abdelfattah K, Cripps M, Dumas RP, Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg 2021 Nov
- Using Trauma Video Review to Assess EMS Handoff and Trauma Team Non-Technical Skills.
- Nagaraj MB, Lowe JE, Marinica AL, Morshedi BB, Isaacs SM, Miller BL, Chou AD, Cripps MW, Dumas RP, Prehosp Emerg Care 2021 Nov 1-12
- Parkland Trauma Index of Mortality (PTIM): Real-time Predictive Model for Trauma Patients.
- Starr AJ, Julka M, Nethi A, Watkins JD, Fairchild RW, Rinehart D, Park C, Dumas RP, Box HN, Cripps MW, J Orthop Trauma 2021 Oct