Nicole Rich, M.D., M.S.C.S., is an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases. Her clinical interests include the management of advanced liver disease and liver cancer.
Originally from Canton, Ohio, Dr. Rich graduated magna cum laude from Case Western Reserve University with bachelor's degrees in biology and psychology. She earned her medical degree at the Ohio State University in Columbus, and completed internal medicine residency training at UT Southwestern, where she also completed advanced training through fellowship programs in gastroenterology (NIH T32 research track) and in transplant hepatology. She also holds a master's degree in clinical sciences from UT Southwestern.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine, gastroenterology, and transplant hepatology, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Rich's research is focused on understanding and identifying mechanisms contributing to racial, ethnic, gender, and socioeconomic disparities in outcomes among patients with chronic liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), the most common type of liver cancer. She has published numerous articles on the topic of HCC, with a focus on health disparities and care delivery, in various peer-reviewed journals including Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Clinical Gastroenterology & Hepatology, and Gut. She serves as co-investigator for several NIH-funded and Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) grants. In 2020, she was awarded the Texas Health Resources Clinical Scholar Award to develop a comprehensive population health research program focused on reducing disparities in liver disease in North Texas. Most recently, she received a career development award from the American College of Gastroenterology to investigate biological and behavioral mechanisms underlying sex and gender disparities in HCC.
Dr. Rich is active in several professional organizations, including the American Gastroenterological Association, American College of Gastroenterology, International Liver Cancer Association, American Society of Transplantation, and the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, which she serves as a member of the Online Learning Committee. She also serves on the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) Adult HCC National Liver Review Board.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Rich is a member of the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, and participates in the Liver Tumor program and the multidisciplinary HCC clinic.
- Medical School
- Ohio State University College of Medicine & Public Health (2011)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Gastroenterology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Transplant Hepatology
- Hepatitis C screening in underserved populations
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) prognosis and treatment
- Racial and ethnic disparities in liver diseases
- Sex and gender disparities in liver disease and liver cancer
- Racial and ethnic disparities in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the USA.
- Rich NE, Noureddin M, Kanwal F, Singal AG, Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol 2021 06 6 6 422-424
- Use of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance in Patients With Cirrhosis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Wolf E, Rich NE, Marrero JA, Parikh ND, Singal AG, Hepatology 2021 Feb 73 2 713-725
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Survival Among Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma in the United States: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Rich NE, Carr C, Yopp AC, Marrero JA, Singal AG, Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020 Dec
- Sex disparities in presentation and prognosis of 1110 patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Rich NE, Murphy CC, Yopp AC, Tiro J, Marrero JA, Singal AG, Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2020 Jun
- Hepatocellular carcinoma demonstrates heterogeneous growth patterns in a multi-center cohort of patients with cirrhosis.
- Rich NE, John BV, Parikh ND, Rowe I, Mehta N, Khatri G, Thomas SM, Anis M, Mendiratta-Lala M, Hernandez C, Odewole M, Sundaram LT, Konjeti VR, Shetty S, Shah T, Zhu H, Yopp AC, Hoshida Y, Yao FY, Marrero JA, Singal AG, Hepatology 2020 Feb
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy for HCV Infection is Associated with Increased Survival in Patients With a History of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Singal AG, Rich NE, Mehta N, Branch A, Pillai A, Hoteit M, Volk M, Odewole M, Scaglione S, Guy J, Said A, Feld JJ, John BV, Frenette C, Mantry P, Rangnekar AS, Oloruntoba O, Leise M, Jou JH, Bhamidimarri KR, Kulik L, Ioannou GN, Huang A, Tran T, Samant H, Dhanasekaran R, Duarte-Rojo A, Salgia R, Eswaran S, Jalal P, Flores A, Satapathy SK, Kagan S, Gopal P, Wong R, Parikh ND, Murphy CC, Gastroenterology 2019 Jul
- Provider Attitudes and Practice Patterns for Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy for Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Rich NE, Yang JD, Perumalswami PV, Alkhouri N, Jackson W, Parikh ND, Mehta N, Salgia R, Duarte-Rojo A, Kulik L, Rakoski M, Said A, Oloruntoba O, Ioannou GN, Hoteit MA, Moon AM, Rangnekar AS, Eswaran SL, Zheng E, Jou JH, Hanje J, Pillai A, Hernaez R, Wong R, Scaglione S, Samant H, Kapuria D, Chandna S, Rosenblatt R, Ajmera V, Frenette C, Satapathy SK, Mantry P, Jalal P, John BV, Fix OK, Leise M, Lindenmeyer CC, Flores A, Patel N, Jiang ZG, Latt N, Dhanasekaran R, Odewole M, Kagan S, Marrero JA, Singal AG, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019 Jul
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma Incidence is Decreasing Among Younger Adults in the United States.
- Rich NE, Yopp AC, Singal AG, Murphy CC, Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2019 Apr
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy not Associated with Recurrence of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in a Multicenter North American Cohort Study.
- Singal AG, Rich NE, Mehta N, Branch A, Pillai A, Hoteit M, Volk M, Odewole M, Scaglione S, Guy J, Said A, Feld JJ, John BV, Frenette C, Mantry P, Rangnekar AS, Oloruntoba O, Leise M, Jou JH, Bhamidimarri KR, Kulik L, Tran T, Samant H, Dhanasekaran R, Duarte-Rojo A, Salgia R, Eswaran S, Jalal P, Flores A, Satapathy SK, Wong R, Huang A, Misra S, Schwartz M, Mitrani R, Nakka S, Noureddine W, Ho C, Konjeti VR, Dao A, Nelson K, Delarosa K, Rahim U, Mavuram M, Xie JJ, Murphy CC, Parikh ND Gastroenterology 2019 Jan
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in Presentation and Outcomes of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Rich NE, Hester C, Odewole M, Murphy CC, Parikh ND, Marrero JA, Yopp AC, Singal AG Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2018 May
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Scholar Award
Texas Health Resources (2021)
- Junior Faculty Award
American College of Gastroenterology (2021)
- Poster of Distinction
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2019)
- Top Scored Poster
International Liver Cancer Association (2019)
- Academic Debates Winner
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) (2017)
- Presidential Poster of Distinction
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2017)
- Presidential Poster of Distinction Award
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) (2017)
- Clinical and Translational Research Scholar
UT Southwestern Center for Translational Medicine (2016)
- Landacre Research Honor Society Inductee
Ohio State University (2011)
- Case Western Reserve University Honors
Case Western Reserve University (2007)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association
- International Liver Cancer Association
- United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) National Liver Review Board - HCC