Nicole Rich, M.D. was born and raised in northeast Ohio, and earned her medical degree at the Ohio State University College of Medicine. She subsequently moved to Texas where she completed a residency in internal medicine at UT Southwestern. She received advanced training at UT Southwestern with fellowships in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology.
In 2016, she was selected as a Clinical Research Scholar through the Center for Translational Medicine at UT Southwestern under the mentorship of Dr. Amit Singal. She joined the faculty as Assistant Professor at UT Southwestern in the Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases in 2018. Dr. Rich is board-certified in gastroenterology and transplant hepatology, and sees patients at UT Southwestern and Parkland hospital. Her clinical practice emphasizes compassionate care of patients with advanced liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Medical School
- Ohio State University College of Medicine & Public Health (2011)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Gastroenterology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Transplant Hepatology
- Hepatitis C screening in underserved populations
- Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) prognosis and treatment
- Racial/ethnic disparities in liver diseases
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy not Associated with Recurrence of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in a Multicenter North American Cohort Study.
- Singal AG, Rich NE, Mehta N, Branch A, Pillai A, Hoteit M, Volk M, Odewole M, Scaglione S, Guy J, Said A, Feld JJ, John BV, Frenette C, Mantry P, Rangnekar AS, Oloruntoba O, Leise M, Jou JH, Bhamidimarri KR, Kulik L, Tran T, Samant H, Dhanasekaran R, Duarte-Rojo A, Salgia R, Eswaran S, Jalal P, Flores A, Satapathy SK, Wong R, Huang A, Misra S, Schwartz M, Mitrani R, Nakka S, Noureddine W, Ho C, Konjeti VR, Dao A, Nelson K, Delarosa K, Rahim U, Mavuram M, Xie JJ, Murphy CC, Parikh ND Gastroenterology 2019 Jan
- Racial and Ethnic Differences in Presentation and Outcomes of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Rich NE, Hester C, Odewole M, Murphy CC, Parikh ND, Marrero JA, Yopp AC, Singal AG Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2018 May
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Prevalence, Severity, and Outcomes in the United States: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Rich NE, Oji S, Mufti AR, Browning JD, Parikh ND, Odewole M, Mayo H, Singal AG Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2018 Feb 16 2 198-210.e2
- Overdiagnosis: An Understudied Issue in Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance.
- Rich NE, Parikh ND, Singal AG Semin. Liver Dis. 2017 11 37 4 296-304
- Outcomes of Simultaneous Liver Kidney Transplantation in Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Rich N, Tanriover B, Singal AG, Marrero JA Transplantation 2017 1 101 e12-e19
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease-Related Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Potential New Challenge for Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance.
- Rich N, Singal AG Gastroenterology 2016 Dec 151 6 1246-1248
- Evaluation of a multifaceted intervention to reduce health disparities in hepatitis C screening: a pre-post analysis.
- Jain MK, Rich NE, Ahn C, Turner BJ, Sanders JM, Adamson B, Quirk L, Perryman P, Santini NO, Singal AG, Hepatology 2019 Apr
- Comparative Analysis of Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis- Versus Viral Hepatitis- and Alcohol-Related Liver Disease-Related Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Hester CA, Rich NE, Singal AG, Yopp AC, J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2019 Apr 17 4 322-329
- Systematic review with meta-analysis: recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma following direct-acting antiviral therapy.
- Saraiya N, Yopp AC, Rich NE, Odewole M, Parikh ND, Singal AG Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2018 Jul 48 2 127-137
- Surveillance Imaging and Alpha Fetoprotein for Early Detection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Patients With Cirrhosis: A Meta-analysis.
- Tzartzeva K, Obi J, Rich NE, Parikh ND, Marrero JA, Yopp A, Waljee AK, Singal AG Gastroenterology 2018 05 154 6 1706-1718.e1
Honors & Awards
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) Academic Debates Winner
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) Presidential Poster of Distinction Award
- Clinical and Translational Research Scholar, UT Southwestern Center for Translational Medicine
- NIH T32 Research Fellow, Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases, UT Southwestern
- Landacre Research Honor Society Inductee, Ohio State University
- Mortar Board Honor Society, Case Western Reserve University