Dr Markus Goldschmiedt grew up in Lima, Peru and received his Medical Degree from the Universidad Nacional de San Marcos. In 1984 traveled to the USA to pursue a residency in Internal Medicine at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Then moved to Dallas for a fellowship in Gastroenterology at UT Southwestern Medical Center. He then completed a Fellowship in Therapeutic Endoscopy at the Wellesley Hospital in Toronto Canada in 1990.
In July 1991 Dr. Goldschmiedt joined the faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center and was the director of the GI lab in Parkland until 1996.
From 1996 to 2019 he was in practice with Digestive Health Associates of Texas and then returned to his academic roots in September 2019.
His clinical interest include: pancreatobiliary disorders, treatment of GI malignancies, removal of complex colon polyps and third space endoscopy (POEM, GPOEM and ESD)
Outside of medicine he enjoys time with his wife, children and grandchildren, loves soccer and outdoor activities.
- Medical School
- Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Peru (1982)
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (1987), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990), Gastroenterology
- Wellesley Hospital (1991), Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Food coloring and monosodium glutamate: effects on the cephalic phase of gastric acid secretion and gastrin release in humans.
- Goldschmiedt M, Redfern JS, Feldman M, Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 1990 May 51 5 794-7
- Postbulbar duodenal ulcer in a patient with pentagastrin-fast achlorhydria.
- Goldschmiedt M, Peterson WL, Vuitch F, Feldman M, Gastroenterology 1989 Sep 97 3 771-4
- Esophageal achalasia secondary to mesothelioma.
- Goldschmiedt M, Peterson WL, Spielberger R, Lee EL, Kurtz SF, Feldman M, Dig. Dis. Sci. 1989 Aug 34 8 1285-9
- Measurement of degraded fecal hemoglobin-heme to estimate gastrointestinal site of occult bleeding. Appraisal of its clinical utility.
- Goldschmiedt M, Ahlquist DA, Wieand HS, McGill DB, Taylor WF, Ellefson RD, Dig. Dis. Sci. 1988 May 33 5 605-8
Gastric Secretion. In Medicine, 4th Ed.
Goldschmiedt M, Feldman M (1994). St. Louis, MO, Mosby Inc.
Laser Therapy: Role in Biliary Tract Disease. In Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy, 2nd Ed.
Goldschmiedt M (1994). New York, Raven Press
Tumors and Diseases of the Pancreas. In Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 6th Ed.
Goldschmiedt M, Gutta K (1998). Philadelphia, PA, W.B. Saunders Co.
Honors & Awards
- Endoscopic Research Award
UT Southwestern (1992)
- Glaxo Gastroenterology Teaching Award
UT Southwestern (1992)
- Annual Research Award in Clinical Gastroenterology
The American College (1989)
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (1992)
- American College of Gastroenterology (1987)
- American Gastroenterological Association (1987)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1987)
- Texas Medical Association (1987)