Dr. Malter joined the UTSW faculty as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Pathology in August, 2011. He holds the Senator Betty and Dr. Andy Andujar Distinguished Chair in Pathology. A graduate of Dartmouth College and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, he completed a post-doc and residency training in pathology and laboratory medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. In 1991, he joined the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. He was Medical Director of the Blood Bank and Transfusion Service (1991-2011) and Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory (2002-2008) for UW Hospital and served as Acting Chair of the Department of Pathology (1993-95). In 2002, Dr. Malter was named an Investigator at the Waisman Center for Developmental Disabilities, UW-Graduate School and became the Cell and Molecular Neuroscience Core Director in 2003 and Associate Director for Biological Sciences in 2004. His research has been continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health and other agencies since 1988 and is currently supported by multiple individual as well as program project grants for his scientific work in post-transcriptional gene regulation and signaling in the immune and nervous systems. He is a member of both the American Society for Investigative Pathology and the American Society for Clinical Investigation, past Chair of several NIH review panels and current member of the editorial boards of Science Signaling.
- Medical School
- Washington University School of Medicine (1983)
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1988), Pathology/lab Medicine
- Rck/p54 interacts with APP mRNA as part of a multi-protein complex and enhances APP mRNA and protein expression in neuronal cell lines.
- Broytman O, Westmark PR, Gurel Z, Malter JS Neurobiol. Aging 2009 Dec 30 12
- Effects of HNE-modification induced by Abeta on neprilysin expression and activity in SH-SY5Y cells.
- Wang R, Wang S, Malter JS, Wang DS J. Neurochem. 2009 Feb 108 4
- MPEP reduces seizure severity in Fmr-1 KO mice over expressing human Abeta.
- Westmark CJ, Westmark PR, Malter JS Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2009 3 1
- Effects of 4-hydroxy-nonenal and Amyloid-beta on expression and activity of endothelin converting enzyme and insulin degrading enzyme in SH-SY5Y cells.
- Wang R, Wang S, Malter JS, Wang DS J. Alzheimers Dis. 2009 17 3
- Structural profiles of TP53 gene mutations predict clinical outcome in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: an international collaborative study.
- Young KH, Leroy K, Møller MB, Colleoni GW, Sánchez-Beato M, Kerbauy FR, Haioun C, Eickhoff JC, Young AH, Gaulard P, Piris MA, Oberley TD, Rehrauer WM, Kahl BS, Malter JS, Campo E, Delabie J, Gascoyne RD, Rosenwald A, Rimsza L, Huang J, Braziel RM, Jaffe ES, Wilson WH, Staudt LM, Vose JM, Chan WC, Weisenburger DD, Greiner TC Blood 2008 Oct 112 8
- Thymic stromal lymphopoietin expression in allergic pulmonary inflammation is Pin1-dependent.
- Esnault S, Rosenthal LA, Shen ZJ, Westmark CJ, Sorkness RL, Malter JS J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2008 May 121 5
- Pinning down signaling in the immune system: the role of the peptidyl-prolyl isomerase Pin1 in immune cell function.
- Esnault S, Shen ZJ, Malter JS Crit. Rev. Immunol. 2008 28 1
- Thymic stromal lymphopoietin (TSLP) as a bridge between infection and atopy.
- Esnault S, Rosenthal LA, Wang DS, Malter JS Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2008 1 4
- Tissue transglutaminase, protein cross-linking and Alzheimer's disease: review and views.
- Wang DS, Dickson DW, Malter JS Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2008 1 1
- Seizure susceptibility and mortality in mice that over-express amyloid precursor protein.
- Westmark CJ, Westmark PR, Beard AM, Hildebrandt SM, Malter JS Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2008 1 2
Honors & Awards
American Society for Clinical Investigation (1998)
Romnes Fellow, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI (1993)
- Outstanding Young Investigator
Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians & Scientists (1987)
National Research Service Award (1986)
- Rufus Choate Scholar
Biochemistry - Dartmouth College (1978)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Blood Banks
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- American Society for Investigative Pathology
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology