Dr. Malter joined the UTSW faculty as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Pathology in August, 2011. He holds the Senator Betty and Dr. Andy Andujar Distinguished Chair in Pathology. A graduate of Dartmouth College and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, he completed a post-doc and residency training in pathology and laboratory medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. In 1991, he joined the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. He was Medical Director of the Blood Bank and Transfusion Service (1991-2011) and Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory (2002-2008) for UW Hospital and served as Acting Chair of the Department of Pathology (1993-95). In 2002, Dr. Malter was named an Investigator at the Waisman Center for Developmental Disabilities, UW-Graduate School and became the Cell and Molecular Neuroscience Core Director in 2003 and Associate Director for Biological Sciences in 2004. His research has been continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health and other agencies since 1988 and is currently supported by multiple individual as well as program project grants for his scientific work in post-transcriptional gene regulation and signaling in the immune and nervous systems. He is a member of both the American Society for Investigative Pathology and the American Society for Clinical Investigation, past Chair of several NIH review panels and current member of the editorial boards of Science Signaling.
- Medical School
- Washington University School of Medicine (1983)
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1988), Pathology/lab Medicine
- Mixed-lineage kinase 3 phosphorylates prolyl-isomerase Pin1 to regulate its nuclear translocation and cellular function.
- Rangasamy V, Mishra R, Sondarva G, Das S, Lee TH, Bakowska JC, Tzivion G, Malter JS, Rana B, Lu KP, Kanthasamy A, Rana A Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 May 109 21 8149-54
- Transforming Growth Factor-ß1 Antagonizes Interleukin-5 Pro-Survival Signaling by Activating Calpain-1 in Primary Human Eosinophils.
- Xie Q, Shen ZJ, Oh J, Chu H, Malter JS J Clin Cell Immunol 2011 Nov Suppl 1
- Effect of Anticoagulants on Amyloid ß-Protein Precursor and Amyloid Beta Levels in Plasma.
- Westmark CJ, Hervey CM, Berry-Kravis EM, Malter JS J Alzheimers Dis Parkinsonism 2011 Jul 1 101
- Preparation of Synaptoneurosomes from Mouse Cortex using a Discontinuous Percoll-Sucrose Density Gradient.
- Westmark PR, Westmark CJ, Jeevananthan A, Malter JS J Vis Exp 2011 55
- The prolyl isomerase Pin1 acts as a novel molecular switch for TNF-alpha-induced priming of the NADPH oxidase in human neutrophils.
- Boussetta T, Gougerot-Pocidalo MA, Hayem G, Ciappelloni S, Raad H, Arabi Derkawi R, Bournier O, Kroviarski Y, Zhou XZ, Malter JS, Lu PK, Bartegi A, Dang PM, El-Benna J Blood 2010 Dec 116 26
- Plasma exchange after initial intravenous immunoglobulin treatment in Guillain-Barré syndrome: critical reassessment of effectiveness and cost-efficiency.
- Oczko-Walker M, Manousakis G, Wang S, Malter JS, Waclawik AJ J Clin Neuromuscul Dis 2010 Dec 12 2
- Fragile X Syndrome and Alzheimer's Disease: Another story about APP and beta-amyloid.
- Malter JS, Ray BC, Westmark PR, Westmark CJ Curr Alzheimer Res 2010 May 7 3
- The Pin 1 inhibitor juglone attenuates kidney fibrogenesis via Pin 1-independent mechanisms in the unilateral ureteral occlusion model.
- Reese S, Vidyasagar A, Jacobson L, Acun Z, Esnault S, Hullett D, Malter JS, Djamali A Fibrogenesis Tissue Repair 2010 3
- Alzheimer's disease and Down syndrome rodent models exhibit audiogenic seizures.
- Westmark CJ, Westmark PR, Malter JS J. Alzheimers Dis. 2010 20 4
- N-acetylcysteine prevents 4-hydroxynonenal- and amyloid-beta-induced modification and inactivation of neprilysin in SH-SY5Y cells.
- Wang R, Malter JS, Wang DS J. Alzheimers Dis. 2010 19 1
Honors & Awards
American Society for Clinical Investigation (1998)
Romnes Fellow, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI (1993)
- Outstanding Young Investigator
Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians & Scientists (1987)
National Research Service Award (1986)
- Rufus Choate Scholar
Biochemistry - Dartmouth College (1978)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Blood Banks
- American Society for Clinical Investigation
- American Society for Investigative Pathology
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology