Kenneth Yen, M.D., M.S., F.A.A.P. is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine. He attended medical school at the University of Illinois. He completed his residency at the University of Chicago and Pediatric Emergency Medicine at the Medical College of Wisconsin. He’s received his Master’s in Clinical Epidemiology from the Medical College of Wisconsin. He was an Assistant EMS director for Milwaukee County EMS, Co-Chair of Wisconsin EMSC Program, and a member of WI-1 DMAT team. He has clinical and research interests in trauma, disaster preparedness, clinical decision rules, medical education, new technology, and IV access. Dr. Yen joined the faculty at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center as the Director of Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship from 2011-2020. He is currently the Co-director of research for the division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
- Medical School
- University of Illinois College of Medicine (1996)
- University of Chicago (1999), Pediatrics
- Medical College of Wisconsin (2002), Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- The Medical College of Wisconsin (2006)
- Clinical Decision Rules
- Disaster Preparedness
- IV Access
- Medical Education
- New Technology
- Predicting Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome and Renal Replacement Therapy in Shiga Toxin-producing Escherichia coli-infected Children.
- McKee RS, Schnadower D, Tarr PI, Xie J, Finkelstein Y, Desai N, Lane RD, Bergmann KR, Kaplan RL, Hariharan S, Cruz AT, Cohen DM, Dixon A, Ramgopal S, Rominger A, Powell EC, Kilgar J, Michelson KA, Beer D, Bitzan M, Pruitt CM, Yen K, Meckler GD, Plint AC, Bradin S, Abramo TJ, Gouin S, Kam AJ, Schuh A, Balamuth F, Hunley TE, Kanegaye JT, Jones NE, Avva U, Porter R, Fein DM, Louie JP, Freedman SB, Clin. Infect. Dis. 2020 Apr 70 8 1643-1651
- Essentials of Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship: Part 6: Program Administration.
- Kim IK, Zuckerbraun N, Kou M, Vu T, Levasseur K, Yen K, Chapman J, Doughty C, McAneney C, Zaveri P, Hsu D Pediatr Emerg Care 2016 Oct 32 10 726-730
- Essentials of PEM Fellowship: Part 5: Scholarship Prepares Fellows to Lead as Pediatric Emergency Specialists.
- Reynolds S, Chang T, Iyer S, Mann C, Wilkinson M, Yen K, Schnadower D Pediatr Emerg Care 2016 Sep 32 9 645-7
- Management of children with solid organ injuries after blunt torso trauma.
- Wisner DH, Kuppermann N, Cooper A, Menaker J, Ehrlich P, Kooistra J, Mahajan P, Lee L, Cook LJ, Yen K, Lillis K, Holmes JF J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2015 Aug 79 2 206-14
- Comparison of Clinician Suspicion Versus a Clinical Prediction Rule in Identifying Children at Risk for Intra-abdominal Injuries After Blunt Torso Trauma.
- Mahajan P, Kuppermann N, Tunik M, Yen K, Atabaki SM, Lee LK, Ellison AM, Bonsu BK, Olsen CS, Cook L, Kwok MY, Lillis K, Holmes JF Acad Emerg Med 2015 Aug
- Sensitivity of Plain Pelvis Radiography in Children With Blunt Torso Trauma.
- Kwok MY, Yen K, Atabaki S, Adelgais K, Garcia M, Quayle K, Kooistra J, Bonsu BK, Page K, Borgialli D, Kuppermann N, Holmes JF Ann Emerg Med 2014 Jul
- Interobserver agreement in the clinical assessment of children with blunt abdominal trauma.
- Yen K, Kuppermann N, Lillis K, Monroe D, Borgialli D, Kerrey BT, Sokolove PE, Ellison AM, Cook LJ, Holmes JF Acad Emerg Med 2013 May 20 5 426-32
- New biomedical devices that use near-infrared technology to assist with phlebotomy and vascular access.
- Yen K, Gorelick MH Pediatr Emerg Care 2013 Mar 29 3 383-5
- Identifying Children at Very Low Risk of Clinically Important Blunt Abdominal Injuries.
- Holmes JF, Lillis K, Monroe D, Borgialli D, Kerrey BT, Mahajan P, Adelgais K, Ellison AM, Yen K, Atabaki S, Menaker J, Bonsu B, Quayle KS, Garcia M, Rogers A, Blumberg S, Lee L, Tunik M, Kooistra J, Kwok M, Cook LJ, Dean JM, Sokolove PE, Wisner DH, Ehrlich P, Cooper A, Dayan PS, Wootton-Gorges S, Kuppermann N Ann Emerg Med 2013 Jan
- Validation and refinement of the difficult intravenous access score: a clinical prediction rule for identifying children with difficult intravenous access.
- Riker MW, Kennedy C, Winfrey BS, Yen K, Dowd MD Acad Emerg Med 2011 Nov 18 11 1129-34
Use of Monitoring Devices. In King C, Henretig F, King B, Loiselle J, Ruddy R, Wiley J, eds. Textbook of Pediatric Emergency Procedures. 2nd ed.
Yen K, Gorelick MH. (2008). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Gynecologic Emergencies. In Stone CK, Humphries R, Drigalla D, Stephan M, eds. LANGE Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
Yen K, Haug J. (2015). McGraw-Hill Education; 492-521.
Pediatric Emergency Medicine. In Pediatric Board Study Guide: A Last Minute Review, 2nd edition
Nesiama J.O., McConnell, J. and Yen K (2019 p.197-245). Springer
The Last Minute Review Cases: Emergency Medicine. In Pediatric Board Study Guide: A Last Minute Review, 2nd edition
McConnell J. and Yen K (2019 p.1015-1135). Springer
Esophagitis. In Fleisher and Ludwig?s 5-Minute Pediatric Emergency Medicine Consult, 2nd Edition
Lowe, G., and Yen K (2019 p.278). Wolters Kluwer
Shigella. In Fleisher and Ludwig?s 5-Minute Pediatric Emergency Medicine Consult, 2nd Edition
Nadeem S., and Yen K. (2019 p.830). Wolters Kluwer
Tendonitis. In Fleisher and Ludwig?s 5-Minute Pediatric Emergency Medicine Consult, 2nd Edition
Thayaril A., and Yen K. (2019 p.886). Wolters Kluwer
Oral Lesions. In Fleisher and Ludwig?s 5-Minute Pediatric Emergency Medicine Consult, 2nd Edition
Deramo J., and Yen K. (2019 p.606). Wolters Kluwer
Honors & Awards
- Citation for Distinguished Service Rendered
American Academy of Pediatrics, Section of Epidemiology (2006)
- Ken Graff Young Investigator Award
American Academy of Pediatrics (2006)
- Ambulatory Pediatric Association Fellow Award
Pediatric Academic Society (2001)
- Best Fellow Research Presentation
Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin (2001)
- Ludwig Seidel Award
Ambulatory Pediatric Association (2001)
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors (APPD) (2018-2020)
- Texas Pediatric Society (TPS) (2012-2019)
- Society for Pediatric Research (2010)
- National Association of EMS Physicians (2008-2012)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Council on Clinical Information Technology (COCIT) (2004-2014)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Section of Epidemiology (SOEp) (2004-2014)
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine Special Interest Group (PEM-SIG) (2002)
- Academic Pediatric Association (APA) (2001)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on Emergency Medicine (SOEM) (2001)
- Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (2001-2002)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) (1996)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (1996)
- American Medical Association (1992-2004)