- Medical School
- Duke University (1988)
- Wilford Hall Medical Center (1991), Pediatrics
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (1994), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Elucidating molecular mechanisms for Arf-dependent regulation of vascular involution during eye development and tumor angiogenesis
- Studying the molecular basis for how persistent expression of cyclin D1 in mouse photoreceptors and pinealocytes disrupts normal eye development and leads to tumor formation as a novel model for retinoblastoma and pineoblastoma
- Treatment of children with aggressive fibromatosis using minimally-toxic therapy
- Understanding molecular and genetic mechanisms for coordinating the initiation of differentiation with cell proliferation arrest in skeletal myoblasts and determining whether the manipulation of these programs alters the biology of rhabdomyosarcoma-derived cells
- Addition of Vincristine and Irinotecan to Vincristine, Dactinomycin, and Cyclophosphamide Does Not Improve Outcome for Intermediate-Risk Rhabdomyosarcoma: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group.
- Hawkins DS, Chi YY, Anderson JR, Tian J, Arndt CAS, Bomgaars L, Donaldson SS, Hayes-Jordan A, Mascarenhas L, McCarville MB, McCune JS, McCowage G, Million L, Morris CD, Parham DM, Rodeberg DA, Rudzinski ER, Shnorhavorian M, Spunt SL, Skapek SX, Teot LA, Wolden S, Yock TI, Meyer WH J. Clin. Oncol. 2018 Aug JCO2018779694
- Integrative Bayesian Analysis Identifies Rhabdomyosarcoma Disease Genes.
- Xu L, Zheng Y, Liu J, Rakheja D, Singleterry S, Laetsch TW, Shern JF, Khan J, Triche TJ, Hawkins DS, Amatruda JF, Skapek SX Cell Rep 2018 Jul 24 1 238-251
- PAX3-FOXO1 transgenic zebrafish models identify HES3 as a mediator of rhabdomyosarcoma tumorigenesis.
- Kendall GC, Watson S, Xu L, LaVigne CA, Murchison W, Rakheja D, Skapek SX, Tirode F, Delattre O, Amatruda JF Elife 2018 Jun 7
- Undifferentiated sarcomas in children harbor clinically-relevant oncogenic fusions and gene copy-number alterations: A report from the Children's Oncology Group.
- Laetsch TW, Roy A, Xu L, Black JO, Coffin CM, Chi YY, Tian J, Spunt SL, Hawkins DS, Bridge JA, Parsons DW, Skapek SX Clin. Cancer Res. 2018 Apr
- Clinical and mutational spectrum of highly differentiated, paired box 3:forkhead box protein o1 fusion-negative rhabdomyosarcoma: A report from the Children's Oncology Group.
- Teot LA, Schneider M, Thorner AR, Tian J, Chi YY, Ducar M, Lin L, Wlodarski M, Grier HE, Fletcher CDM, van Hummelen P, Skapek SX, Hawkins DS, Wagers AJ, Rodriguez-Galindo C, Hettmer S Cancer 2018 Feb
- Histology, fusion status, and outcome in metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma: A report from the Children's Oncology Group.
- Rudzinski ER, Anderson JR, Chi YY, Gastier-Foster JM, Astbury C, Barr FG, Skapek SX, Hawkins DS, Weigel BJ, Pappo A, Meyer WH, Arnold MA, Teot LA, Parham DM Pediatr Blood Cancer 2017 May
- The Role of Childhood Infections and Immunizations on Childhood Rhabdomyosarcoma: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group.
- Sankaran H, Danysh HE, Scheurer ME, Okcu MF, Skapek SX, Hawkins DS, Spector LG, Erhardt EB, Grufferman S, Lupo PJ Pediatr Blood Cancer 2016 May
- Current state of pediatric sarcoma biology and opportunities for future discovery: A report from the sarcoma translational research workshop.
- Hingorani P, Janeway K, Crompton BD, Kadoch C, Mackall CL, Khan J, Shern JF, Schiffman J, Mirabello L, Savage SA, Ladanyi M, Meltzer P, Bult CJ, Adamson PC, Lupo PJ, Mody R, DuBois SG, Parsons DW, Khanna C, Lau C, Hawkins DS, Randall RL, Smith M, Sorensen PH, Plon SE, Skapek SX, Lessnick S, Gorlick R, Reed DR Cancer Genet 2016 May 209 5 182-94
- Histology, Fusion Status, and Outcome in Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma With Low-Risk Clinical Features: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group.
- Arnold MA, Anderson JR, Gastier-Foster JM, Barr FG, Skapek SX, Hawkins DS, Raney RB, Parham DM, Teot LA, Rudzinski ER, Walterhouse DO Pediatr Blood Cancer 2016 Jan
- p19(Arf) limits primary vitreous cell proliferation driven by PDGF-B.
- Iqbal NS, Devitt CC, Sung CY, Skapek SX Exp. Eye Res. 2016 Jan 145 224-229
Myogenesis and Rhabdomyosarcoma: The Jekyll and Hyde of Skeletal Muscle. In Dyer M, ed. Current Topics in Developmental Biology: Cancer and Development. 1st ed.
Saab R, Spunt SL, Skapek SX. (2011). Elsevier; 197-234.
Non-Rhabdomyosarcoma Soft Tissue Sarcomas. In Pappo A, ed. Pediatric Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcomas. 1st ed.
Spunt SL, Wolden SL, Schofield DE, Skapek SX. (2009). Springer; 134-163.
Molecular Biology of Cancer: The Cell Cycle. In DeVita VT, Hellman S, Rosenburg SA, eds. Cancer: Principles and Practice of Oncology. 6th ed.
Kastan MB, Skapek SX. (2001). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Rhabdomyosarcoma. In Pizzo PA, Poplack DG, eds. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology. 7th ed.
Wexler LH, Skapek SX, Helman LJ. (2016). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer; 797-825.
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2015-2018)
- Distinguished Professorship in Pediatric Oncology Research
Childrens Cancer Fund (2011)
- Research Scholar Award
American Cancer Society (2004)
- Medical Research Award
G and P Foundation for Cancer Research (1999)
- Clinical Investigator Development Award (K08)
- Achievement Medal
United States Air Force (1992)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2008)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (2008)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (2006)
- Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study Group (1999-2000)
- Pediatric Oncology Group/Children's Oncology Group (1997)