Venkatakrishna Kakkilaya, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Board certified in both pediatrics and neonatology, Dr. Kakkilaya joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2011.
Dr. Kakkilaya earned his medical degree at Karnatak University, followed by residencies in pediatrics at VM Medical College in India and later at LSU Health Sciences Center Shreveport. He subsequently completed a fellowship in neonatal-perinatal medicine at LSU Health Sciences Center Shreveport. He is credentialed to practice at Children’s Health.
- Medical School
- Karnatak University (1990)
- VM Medical College, India (1993), Pediatrics
- LSU Health Sciences Center Shreveport (2007), Pediatrics
- LSU Health Sciences Center Shreveport (2010), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- Less invasive surfactant administration
- Nasal CPAP: Optimal delivery systems and weaning strategies in extremely low birth weight infants
- Neonatal abstinence syndrome
- New tools in improving informed decision making in the NICU
- Non invasive respiratory support in preterm infants
- RDS-NExT workshop: consensus statements for the use of surfactant in preterm neonates with RDS
- Noninvasive Ventilation in the Delivery Room for the Preterm Infant.
- Weydig H, Ali N, Kakkilaya V, Neoreviews 2019 09 20 9 e489-e499
- Delivery Room Continuous Positive Airway Pressure and Pneumothorax.
- Smithhart W, Wyckoff MH, Kapadia V, Jaleel M, Kakkilaya V, Brown LS, Nelson DB, Brion LP, Pediatrics 2019 Aug
- Early predictors of continuous positive airway pressure failure in preterm neonates.
- Kakkilaya V, Wagner S, Mangona KLM, Steven Brown L, Jubran I, He H, Savani RC, Kapadia VS, J Perinatol 2019 May
- The use of less invasive surfactant administration (LISA) in the United States with review of the literature.
- Kurepa D, Perveen S, Lipener Y, Kakkilaya V J Perinatol 2019 Mar 39 3 426-432
- Quality Improvement Project to Decrease Delivery Room Intubations in Preterm Infants.
- Kakkilaya V, Jubran I, Mashruwala V, Ramon E, Simcik VN, Marshall M, Brown LS, Jaleel MA, Kapadia VS Pediatrics 2019 Jan
- Impact of the Neonatal Resuscitation Program-Recommended Low Oxygen Strategy on Outcomes of Infants Born Preterm.
- Kapadia VS, Lal CV, Kakkilaya V, Heyne R, Savani RC, Wyckoff MH J. Pediatr. 2017 Dec 191 35-41
- Otopalatodigital syndrome type 2 in a male infant: A case report with a novel sequence variation.
- Sankararaman S, Kurepa D, Shen Y, Kakkilaya V, Ursin S, Chen H J Pediatr Genet 2013 Mar 2 1 33-6
- Another case of genitopatellar syndrome: a case report with additional rare coexistences.
- Sankararaman S, Kurepa D, Velayuthan S, Kakkilaya V, Gates T, Ursin S, Chen H Clin. Dysmorphol. 2012 Aug
- Elevated Acetoacetate and Monocyte Chemotactic Protein-1 Levels in Cord Blood of Infants of Diabetic Mothers.
- Kurepa D, Pramanik AK, Kakkilaya V, Caldito G, Groome LJ, Bocchini JA, Jain SK Neonatology 2012 Jul 102 3 163-168
Honors & Awards
- John Haven Emerson Award
- Young Investigator Award Finalist, Southern Society of Pediatric Research
- Fellow American Academy of Pediatrics (2007)
- Member of Royal College of Physicians (1997)