Dr. M. Shaalan Beg joined the Division of Hematology/Medical Oncology specializing in cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. After receiving his medical training at the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan, he proceeded to complete his Internal Medicine residency and Hematology/Medical Oncology fellowship at the University of Cincinnati.
Dr. Beg’s clinical and research focus is on early-phase drug development and clinical trials for gastrointestinal cancers. He is an active member of the GI Cancers Disease Oriented Team and believes in true multidisciplinary care of his patients.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan Univ, Pakistan (2003)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (2008), Internal Medicine
- University of Cincinnati (2011), Hematology Oncology
- Cancers of the gastrointestinal tract
- Decentralized clinical trials
- Digital Health
- Early phase drug development, Phase I/II clinical trials
- Experimental therapeutics
- A Prospective Analysis of Plasma Adiponectin and Risk of Incident Cancer: The Dallas Heart Study.
- Beg MS, Saleem S, Turer A, Ayers C, de Lemos JA, Khera A, Scherer PE, Lakoski SG J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2015 Jul 13 7 873-8
- Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy Versus 3-Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy for Anal Cancer.
- Hodges JC, Beg MS, Das P, Meyer J Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2014 Apr
- The Effect of PNPLA3 on Fibrosis Progression and Development of Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Meta-analysis.
- Singal AG, Manjunath H, Yopp AC, Beg MS, Marrero JA, Gopal P, Waljee AK Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2014 Jan
- Impact of Diabetes Mellitus on the Outcome of Pancreatic Cancer.
- Beg MS, Dwivedi AK, Ahmad SA, Ali S, Olowokure O PLoS ONE 2014 9 5 e98511
- Establishment of a Multidisciplinary Hepatocellular Carcinoma Clinic is Associated with Improved Clinical Outcome.
- Yopp AC, Mansour JC, Beg MS, Arenas J, Trimmer C, Reddick M, Pedrosa I, Khatri G, Yakoo T, Meyer JJ, Shaw J, Marrero JA, Singal AG Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2013 Dec
- Meta-analysis: underutilisation and disparities of treatment among patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in the United States.
- Tan D, Yopp A, Beg MS, Gopal P, Singal AG Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2013 Aug
- Outcome of patients with myelodysplastic syndromes in the Veterans Administration population.
- Komrokji RS, Matacia-Murphy GM, Al Ali NH, Beg MS, Safa MM, Rollison DE, List AF Leuk. Res. 2010 Jan 34 1 59-62
- Predictive factors for early aspiration in liver abscess.
- Khan R, Hamid S, Abid S, Jafri W, Abbas Z, Islam M, Shah H, Beg S, World J. Gastroenterol. 2008 Apr 14 13 2089-93
Honors & Awards
- ASCO Leadership Development Program
- Principal Investigator, NCI Experimental Therapeutics Clinical Trials Network (ETCTN) UM1 Award
- ASCO Quality Training Program
- Chair, Pancreatic-Hepatobiliary Working Group, GI Cancer Core Committee, ECOG/ACRIN
- Pancreatic Cancer Task Force, GI Cancer Steering Committee, National Cancer Institute
- D Magazine, Best Doctors
- Resident Teacher Award
University of Cincinnati
- ECOG/ACRIN Research Group (2014)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)