Dr. M. Shaalan Beg joined the Division of Hematology/Medical Oncology specializing in cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. After receiving his medical training at the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan, he proceeded to complete his Internal Medicine residency and Hematology/Medical Oncology fellowship at the University of Cincinnati.
Dr. Beg’s clinical and research focus is on early-phase drug development and clinical trials for gastrointestinal cancers. He is an active member of the GI Cancers Disease Oriented Team and believes in true multidisciplinary care of his patients.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan Univ, Pakistan (2003)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (2008), Internal Medicine
- University of Cincinnati (2011), Hematology Oncology
- Cancers of the gastrointestinal tract
- Decentralized clinical trials
- Digital Health
- Early phase drug development, Phase I/II clinical trials
- Experimental therapeutics
- A Phase Ib Study of the Dual PI3K/mTOR Inhibitor Dactolisib (BEZ235) Combined with Everolimus in Patients with Advanced Solid Malignancies.
- Wise-Draper TM, Moorthy G, Salkeni MA, Karim NA, Thomas HE, Mercer CA, Beg MS, O'Gara S, Olowokure O, Fathallah H, Kozma SC, Thomas G, Rixe O, Desai P, Morris JC Target Oncol 2017 Mar
- An Analysis of Individual Body Fat Depots and Risk of Developing Cancer: Insights From the Dallas Heart Study.
- Gupta A, Pandey A, Ayers C, Beg MS, Lakoski SG, Vega GL, Grundy SM, Johnson DH, Neeland IJ Mayo Clin. Proc. 2017 Mar
- Oncology Nursing Perceptions of Patient Electronic Portal Use: A Qualitative Analysis.
- Gerber DE, Beg MS, Duncan T, Gill M, Craddock Lee SJ Oncol Nurs Forum 2017 03 44 2 165-170
- Cutaneous adnexal adenocarcinoma with exquisite sensitivity to trastuzumab.
- Brown TJ, Sher DJ, Nedzi LA, Hughes RS, Beg MS, Mull J, Sarode VR, Khan SA Head Neck 2017 Feb
- Phase I study of MRX34, a liposomal miR-34a mimic, administered twice weekly in patients with advanced solid tumors.
- Beg MS, Brenner AJ, Sachdev J, Borad M, Kang YK, Stoudemire J, Smith S, Bader AG, Kim S, Hong DS Invest New Drugs 2016 Dec
- Premorbid body mass index and mortality in patients with lung cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Gupta A, Majumder K, Arora N, Mayo HG, Singh PP, Beg MS, Hughes R, Singh S, Johnson DH Lung Cancer 2016 Dec 102 49-59
- Leveraging an NQO1 Bioactivatable Drug for Tumor-Selective Use of Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase Inhibitors.
- Huang X, Motea EA, Moore ZR, Yao J, Dong Y, Chakrabarti G, Kilgore JA, Silvers MA, Patidar PL, Cholka A, Fattah F, Cha Y, Anderson GG, Kusko R, Peyton M, Yan J, Xie XJ, Sarode V, Williams NS, Minna JD, Beg M, Gerber DE, Bey EA, Boothman DA Cancer Cell 2016 Dec 30 6 940-952
- A phase 1 dose-escalation study of NEO-102 in patients with refractory colon and pancreatic cancer.
- Beg MS, Azad NS, Patel SP, Torrealba J, Mavroukakis S, Beatson MA, Wang XP, Arlen PM, Morse MA Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 2016 Jul
- Quantification of renal steatosis in type II diabetes mellitus using dixon-based MRI.
- Yokoo T, Clark HR, Pedrosa I, Yuan Q, Dimitrov I, Zhang Y, Lingvay I, Beg MS, Bobulescu IA J Magn Reson Imaging 2016 Mar
- A Variant in PNPLA3 Associated with Fibrosis Progression but not Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Patients With HCV Infection.
- Ali M, Yopp A, Gopal P, Beg MS, Zhu H, Lee W, Singal AG Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2015 Aug
Honors & Awards
- ASCO Leadership Development Program
- Principal Investigator, NCI Experimental Therapeutics Clinical Trials Network (ETCTN) UM1 Award
- ASCO Quality Training Program
- Chair, Pancreatic-Hepatobiliary Working Group, GI Cancer Core Committee, ECOG/ACRIN
- Pancreatic Cancer Task Force, GI Cancer Steering Committee, National Cancer Institute
- D Magazine, Best Doctors
- Resident Teacher Award
University of Cincinnati
- ECOG/ACRIN Research Group (2014)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)