Dr. M. Shaalan Beg joined the Division of Hematology/Medical Oncology specializing in cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. After receiving his medical training at the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan, he proceeded to complete his Internal Medicine residency and Hematology/Medical Oncology fellowship at the University of Cincinnati.
Dr. Beg’s clinical and research focus is on early-phase drug development and clinical trials for gastrointestinal cancers. He is an active member of the GI Cancers Disease Oriented Team and believes in true multidisciplinary care of his patients.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan Univ, Pakistan (2003)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (2008), Internal Medicine
- University of Cincinnati (2011), Hematology Oncology
- Cancers of the gastrointestinal tract
- Early phase drug development, Phase I/II clinical trials
- Experimental therapeutics
- Peritoneal diseases
- Premorbid body mass index and mortality in patients with lung cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Gupta A, Majumder K, Arora N, Mayo HG, Singh PP, Beg MS, Hughes R, Singh S, Johnson DH Lung Cancer 2016 Dec 102 49-59
- Leveraging an NQO1 Bioactivatable Drug for Tumor-Selective Use of Poly(ADP-ribose) Polymerase Inhibitors.
- Huang X, Motea EA, Moore ZR, Yao J, Dong Y, Chakrabarti G, Kilgore JA, Silvers MA, Patidar PL, Cholka A, Fattah F, Cha Y, Anderson GG, Kusko R, Peyton M, Yan J, Xie XJ, Sarode V, Williams NS, Minna JD, Beg M, Gerber DE, Bey EA, Boothman DA Cancer Cell 2016 Dec 30 6 940-952
- A phase 1 dose-escalation study of NEO-102 in patients with refractory colon and pancreatic cancer.
- Beg MS, Azad NS, Patel SP, Torrealba J, Mavroukakis S, Beatson MA, Wang XP, Arlen PM, Morse MA Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 2016 Jul
- Quantification of renal steatosis in type II diabetes mellitus using dixon-based MRI.
- Yokoo T, Clark HR, Pedrosa I, Yuan Q, Dimitrov I, Zhang Y, Lingvay I, Beg MS, Bobulescu IA J Magn Reson Imaging 2016 Mar
- A Variant in PNPLA3 Associated with Fibrosis Progression but not Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Patients With HCV Infection.
- Ali M, Yopp A, Gopal P, Beg MS, Zhu H, Lee W, Singal AG Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2015 Aug
- A Prospective Analysis of Plasma Adiponectin and Risk of Incident Cancer: The Dallas Heart Study.
- Beg MS, Saleem S, Turer A, Ayers C, de Lemos JA, Khera A, Scherer PE, Lakoski SG J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2015 Jul 13 7 873-8
- Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy Versus 3-Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy for Anal Cancer.
- Hodges JC, Beg MS, Das P, Meyer J Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2014 Apr
- The Effect of PNPLA3 on Fibrosis Progression and Development of Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Meta-analysis.
- Singal AG, Manjunath H, Yopp AC, Beg MS, Marrero JA, Gopal P, Waljee AK Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2014 Jan
- Impact of Diabetes Mellitus on the Outcome of Pancreatic Cancer.
- Beg MS, Dwivedi AK, Ahmad SA, Ali S, Olowokure O PLoS ONE 2014 9 5 e98511
- Establishment of a Multidisciplinary Hepatocellular Carcinoma Clinic is Associated with Improved Clinical Outcome.
- Yopp AC, Mansour JC, Beg MS, Arenas J, Trimmer C, Reddick M, Pedrosa I, Khatri G, Yakoo T, Meyer JJ, Shaw J, Marrero JA, Singal AG Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2013 Dec
Honors & Awards
- Resident Teacher Award
University of Cincinnati (2008)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2011)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)