Dr. M. Shaalan Beg joined the Division of Hematology/Medical Oncology specializing in cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. After receiving his medical training at the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan, he proceeded to complete his Internal Medicine residency and Hematology/Medical Oncology fellowship at the University of Cincinnati.
Dr. Beg’s clinical and research focus is on early-phase drug development and clinical trials for gastrointestinal cancers. He is an active member of the GI Cancers Disease Oriented Team and believes in true multidisciplinary care of his patients.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan Univ, Pakistan (2003)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (2008), Internal Medicine
- University of Cincinnati (2011), Hematology Oncology
- Cancers of the gastrointestinal tract
- Early phase drug development, Phase I/II clinical trials
- Experimental therapeutics
- Peritoneal diseases
- Pasireotide for the Treatment of Refractory Hypoglycemia from Malignant Insulinoma.
- Hendren NS, Panach K, Brown TJ, Peng L, Beg MS, Weissler J, Mirfakhraee S Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf) 2017 Oct
- The NQO1 bioactivatable drug, ß-Lapachone, alters the redox state of NQO1+ pancreatic cancer cells, causing perturbation in central carbon metabolism.
- Silvers MA, Deja S, Singh N, Egnatchik RA, Sudderth J, Luo X, Beg MS, Burgess SC, DeBerardinis RJ, Boothman DA, Merritt ME J. Biol. Chem. 2017 Sep
- Race- and Sex-Based Disparities in the Therapy and Outcomes of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Anus.
- Arora N, Gupta A, Zhu H, Christie A, Meyer JJ, Khan SA, Beg MS J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2017 Aug 15 8 998-1004
- Obesity is Independently Associated With Increased Risk of Hepatocellular Cancer-related Mortality: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Gupta A, Das A, Majumder K, Arora N, Mayo HG, Singh PP, Beg MS, Singh S Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2017 May
- Trends in the Incidence and Outcomes of Hospitalized Cancer Patients With Clostridium difficile Infection: A Nationwide Analysis.
- Gupta A, Tariq R, Frank RD, Jean GW, Beg MS, Pardi DS, Johnson DH, Khanna S J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2017 Apr 15 4 466-472
- A Phase Ib Study of the Dual PI3K/mTOR Inhibitor Dactolisib (BEZ235) Combined with Everolimus in Patients with Advanced Solid Malignancies.
- Wise-Draper TM, Moorthy G, Salkeni MA, Karim NA, Thomas HE, Mercer CA, Beg MS, O'Gara S, Olowokure O, Fathallah H, Kozma SC, Thomas G, Rixe O, Desai P, Morris JC Target Oncol 2017 Mar
- An Analysis of Individual Body Fat Depots and Risk of Developing Cancer: Insights From the Dallas Heart Study.
- Gupta A, Pandey A, Ayers C, Beg MS, Lakoski SG, Vega GL, Grundy SM, Johnson DH, Neeland IJ Mayo Clin. Proc. 2017 Mar
- Oncology Nursing Perceptions of Patient Electronic Portal Use: A Qualitative Analysis.
- Gerber DE, Beg MS, Duncan T, Gill M, Craddock Lee SJ Oncol Nurs Forum 2017 03 44 2 165-170
- Cutaneous adnexal adenocarcinoma with exquisite sensitivity to trastuzumab.
- Brown TJ, Sher DJ, Nedzi LA, Hughes RS, Beg MS, Mull J, Sarode VR, Khan SA Head Neck 2017 Feb
- Phase I study of MRX34, a liposomal miR-34a mimic, administered twice weekly in patients with advanced solid tumors.
- Beg MS, Brenner AJ, Sachdev J, Borad M, Kang YK, Stoudemire J, Smith S, Bader AG, Kim S, Hong DS Invest New Drugs 2016 Dec
Honors & Awards
- Resident Teacher Award
University of Cincinnati (2008)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2011)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)