Dr. M. Shaalan Beg joined the Division of Hematology/Medical Oncology specializing in cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. After receiving his medical training at the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan, he proceeded to complete his Internal Medicine residency and Hematology/Medical Oncology fellowship at the University of Cincinnati.
Dr. Beg’s clinical and research focus is on early-phase drug development and clinical trials for gastrointestinal cancers. He is an active member of the GI Cancers Disease Oriented Team and believes in true multidisciplinary care of his patients.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan Univ, Pakistan (2003)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (2008), Internal Medicine
- University of Cincinnati (2011), Hematology Oncology
- Cancers of the gastrointestinal tract
- Early phase drug development, Phase I/II clinical trials
- Experimental therapeutics
- Peritoneal diseases
- Staging systems of hepatocellular carcinoma: A review.
- Tellapuri S, Sutphin PD, Beg MS, Singal AG, Kalva SP Indian J Gastroenterol 2018 Nov 37 6 481-491
- A Phase I Clinical Trial of the Phosphatidylserine-targeting Antibody Bavituximab in Combination With Radiation Therapy and Capecitabine in the Preoperative Treatment of Rectal Adenocarcinoma.
- Meyer J, Arriaga Y, Anandam J, Karri S, Syed S, Verma U, Abdelnaby A, Raja G, Dong Y, Beg MS, Balch G Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2018 Oct 41 10 972-976
- Phase 1 study of ARQ 761, a ß-lapachone analogue that promotes NQO1-mediated programmed cancer cell necrosis.
- Gerber DE, Beg MS, Fattah F, Frankel AE, Fatunde O, Arriaga Y, Dowell JE, Bisen A, Leff RD, Meek CC, Putnam WC, Kallem RR, Subramaniyan I, Dong Y, Bolluyt J, Sarode V, Luo X, Xie Y, Schwartz B, Boothman DA Br. J. Cancer 2018 Oct 119 8 928-936
- Skin involvement as the presenting sign of anorectal adenocarcinoma.
- Leiker AJ, Beg M, McIlwee B, Law R, Khosama L, Meyer J, Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2018 Oct 31 4 519-521
- Blocking monocytic myeloid-derived suppressor cell function via anti-DC-HIL/GPNMB antibody restores the in vitro integrity of T-cells from cancer patients.
- Kobayashi M, Chung JS, Beg M, Arriaga Y, Verma UN, Courtney K, Mansour JC, Haley B, Khan SA, Horiuchi Y, Ramani V, Harker D, Gopal P, Araghizadeh F, Cruz PD, Ariizumi K Clin. Cancer Res. 2018 Jul
- Palliative care and end-of-life health care utilization in elderly patients with pancreatic cancer.
- Bhulani N, Gupta A, Gao A, Li J, Guenther C, Ahn C, Paulk E, Houck S, Beg MS J Gastrointest Oncol 2018 Jun 9 3 495-502
- Pancreatic Cancer Metabolism: Molecular Mechanisms and Clinical Applications.
- Hosein AN, Beg MS Curr Oncol Rep 2018 May 20 7 56
- Trends in Outcomes of Patients With Metastatic Cancer Undergoing Intubation and Mechanical Ventilation: Results of the National Hospital Discharge Survey.
- Gupta A, Das A, Tariq R, Bhulani N, Premnath N, Solanky D, Frank RD, Johnson D, Khanna S, Beg MS J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2018 Mar 16 3 286-292
- Developing rational combinations of immune checkpoint inhibitors and radiation therapy for gastrointestinal cancers.
- Beg MS, Meyer J J Gastrointest Oncol 2018 Feb 9 1 225-230
- Approach and management of checkpoint inhibitor-related immune hepatitis.
- Sanjeevaiah A, Kerr T, Beg MS J Gastrointest Oncol 2018 Feb 9 1 220-224
Honors & Awards
- Resident Teacher Award
University of Cincinnati (2008)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2011)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)