Dr. M. Shaalan Beg joined the Division of Hematology/Medical Oncology specializing in cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. After receiving his medical training at the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan, he proceeded to complete his Internal Medicine residency and Hematology/Medical Oncology fellowship at the University of Cincinnati.
Dr. Beg’s clinical and research focus is on early-phase drug development and clinical trials for gastrointestinal cancers. He is an active member of the GI Cancers Disease Oriented Team and believes in true multidisciplinary care of his patients.
- Medical School
- Aga Khan Univ, Pakistan (2003)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (2008), Internal Medicine
- University of Cincinnati (2011), Hematology Oncology
- Cancers of the gastrointestinal tract
- Early phase drug development, Phase I/II clinical trials
- Experimental therapeutics
- Peritoneal diseases
- Outcome of diffuse large B-Cell lymphoma in the United States has improved over time but racial disparities remain: review of SEER data.
- Komrokji RS, Al Ali NH, Beg MS, Safa MM, Rollison D, Kharfan-Dabaja M, Bello C, Cultrera J, Sokol L, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Sotomayor EM Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 2011 Jun 11 3 257-60
- Outcome of esophageal carcinoma in the veteran affairs population: a comparative analysis from the Veteran Affairs Central Cancer Registry.
- Beg MS, Navaneethan U, Atiq M, Komrokji R, Safa M Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2009 Jun 32 3 286-90
- Oxaliplatin-induced immune mediated thrombocytopenia.
- Beg MS, Komrokji RS, Ahmed K, Safa MM Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 2008 Oct 62 5 925-7
- Self-reported Reasons and Patterns of Noninsurance Among Cancer Survivors Before and After Implementation of the Affordable Care Act, 2000-2017.
- Sanford NN, Lam MB, Butler SS, Ahn C, Beg MS, Aizer AA, Mahal BA, JAMA Oncol 2019 May e191973
- The Future of Wearable Technologies and Remote Monitoring in Health Care.
- Liao Y, Thompson C, Peterson S, Mandrola J, Beg MS, Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2019 Jan 39 115-121
- NQO1-dependent, tumor-selective radiosensitization of non-small cell lung cancers.
- Motea EA, Huang X, Singh N, Kilgore JA, Williams NS, Xie XJ, Gerber DE, Beg M, Bey EA, Boothman DA Clin. Cancer Res. 2019 Jan
- Activity and pharmacology of homemade silver nanoparticles in refractory metastatic head and neck squamous cell cancer.
- Singh J, Moore W, Fattah F, Jiang X, Zheng J, Kurian P, Beg MS, Khan SA Head Neck 2019 Jan 41 1 E11-E16
- Fasting and Glucose-Stimulated Changes in Plasma Glucagon in Pancreatic Cancer: Potential Biomarkers for Detection?
- Stern JH, Arriaga Y, Gupta A, Verma U, Karri S, Syed S, Khosama L, Mansour J, Meyer J, Scherer PE, Beg MS Pancreas 2019 Jan 48 1 e1-e3
- Characteristics and impact of the most-cited palliative oncology studies from 1995 to 2016.
- Eule C, Bhulani N, Paulk E, Rhodes R, Beg MS BMC Cancer 2018 Dec 18 1 1281
- Modulators of Redox Metabolism in Head and Neck Cancer.
- Chen X, Mims J, Huang X, Singh N, Motea E, Planchon SM, Beg M, Tsang AW, Porosnicu M, Kemp ML, Boothman DA, Furdui CM Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2018 Dec 29 16 1660-1690
Honors & Awards
- Resident Teacher Award
University of Cincinnati (2008)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2011)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2008)