Dr. Kevin Albuquerque acquired his medical degree through Bombay University, India. This was followed by residency and training in surgical oncology in Bombay and Nottingham U.K where he obtained his F.R.C.S. In the US, he completed his residency in Radiation Oncology at S.U.N.Y University Hospital in Brooklyn, NY and was board-certified in 2002.
Subsequently from 2002-2012, he was on faculty with Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago where he treated women with gynecological and breast cancers and was Clinical Director and Section chief in Radiation Oncology for these sites . Besides being awarded a Loyola Cancer Center grant for research comparing breast brachytherapy with external radiotherapy; he was in collaboration on several funded NIH grants looking at translational effects of breast radiation on immune markers , psychoneuroimmunology in breast cancer patients and decision making for women with DCIS undergoing breast conservation therapy. He also obtained a Masters in Clinical Research Methods at Loyola
Dr. Albuquerque is heading our Radiation Gynecologic Oncology service and will continue his research into Brachytherapy and gynecological and breast tumors
His main area of interests are Epidemiology, Quality of Life issues and Outcome studies and clinical trials incorporating Radiation for Gyneclogical cancers .
- Medical School
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, India (1984)
- Maimonides Medical Center (1998), General Surgery
- State University of New York at Brooklyn (2002), Radiation Oncology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Loyola University Chicago - Stritch School of Medicine (2007), Epidemiology
- Bone marrow-sparing techniques for pelvic radiation
- Brachytherapy outcomes for gynecological cancers
- SABR for gynecological cancers, in combination with immunotherapy
- Reduced toxicity with equivalent outcomes using three-dimensional volumetric (3DV) image-based versus nonvolumetric point-based (NV) brachytherapy in a cervical cancer population.
- Thomas KM, Maquilan G, Stojadinovic S, Medin P, Folkert MR, Albuquerque K Brachytherapy 2017 Jun
- Automated high-dose rate brachytherapy treatment planning for a single-channel vaginal cylinder applicator.
- Zhou Y, Klages P, Tan J, Chi Y, Stojadinovic S, Yang M, Hrycushko B, Medin P, Pompos A, Jiang S, Albuquerque K, Jia X Phys Med Biol 2017 Feb
- Adjuvant External Radiation Impacts Outcome of Pelvis-limited Stage III Endometrial Carcinoma: A Multi-institutional Study.
- Albuquerque K, Folkert M, Mayadev J, Christie A, Liotta MR, Nagel C, Sevak P, Harkenrider MM, Lea JS, Hanna RK, Small WC, Miller DS, Xie XJ, Potkul RK, Elshaikh MA Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2017 Feb
- American Brachytherapy Task Group Report: A pooled analysis of clinical outcomes for high-dose-rate brachytherapy for cervical cancer.
- Mayadev J, Viswanathan A, Liu Y, Li CS, Albuquerque K, Damato AL, Beriwal S, Erickson B Brachytherapy 2017 Jan - Feb 16 1 22-43
- Locally Advanced Cervical Cancer: Outcomes With Variable Adherence to Treatment.
- Manders DB, Morón A, McIntire D, Miller DS, Richardson DL, Kehoe SM, Albuquerque KV, Lea JS Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2016 Jun
- Remote location interstitial brachytherapy with patient stabilization and subsequent transport to an outpatient center for treatment is safe and effective for the treatment of gynecologic malignancies.
- Tumati V, Folkert MR, Lawson S, Wise E, Wolcott S, Richardson D, Carlson M, Kehoe S, Lea J, Abdulrahman R, Albuquerque K Brachytherapy 2016 Mar
- Long-term Benefit of Tumor Volume-Directed Involved Field Radiation Therapy in the Management of Recurrent Ovarian Cancer.
- Albuquerque K, Patel M, Liotta M, Harkenrider M, Guo R, Small W, Ronald P Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer 2016 Jan
- Para-aortic nodal metastases in cervical cancer: a blind spot in the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics staging system: current diagnosis and management
- Hwang L, Bailey A, Lea J, Albuquerque K Future Oncol 2015 11 2 309-322
- Recurrence patterns and survival endpoints in women with stage II uterine endometrioid carcinoma: A multi-institution study.
- Elshaikh MA, Al-Wahab Z, Mahdi H, Albuquerque K, Mahan M, Kehoe SM, Ali-Fehmi R, Rose PG, Munkarah AR Gynecol. Oncol. 2014 Dec
- Role of image guided radiation therapy in obese patients with gynecologic malignancies.
- Bray TS, Kaczynski A, Albuquerque K, Cozzi F, Roeske JC Pract Radiat Oncol 2013 Oct-Dec 3 4 249-55
Gynecologic Cancers. In Gynecologic Cancers (Part of the Medical Radiology book series)
Albuquerque, K., Leung, E, Mayr, N. (2016). Switzerland, Springer International Publishing
Vulva Cancer. In Decision Making in Radiation Oncology: Volume 2
Albuquerque, K., J. J. Lu, W. L. Brady (2011). New York, Springer