Dr. Kevin Albuquerque earned his medical degree through Bombay University, India. This was followed by a residency and training in surgical oncology in Bombay and Nottingham U.K where he obtained his F.R.C.S. In the U.S., he completed his residency in Radiation Oncology at S.U.N.Y University Hospital in Brooklyn, NY, and was board-certified in 2002.
Subsequently from 2002-2012, he was on faculty with Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago, where he treated women with gynecological and breast cancers and was Clinical Director and Section Chief in Radiation Oncology for these sites. Besides being awarded a Loyola Cancer Center grant for research comparing breast brachytherapy with external radiotherapy, he was in collaboration on several funded NIH grants looking at translational effects of breast radiation on immune markers, psychoneuroimmunology in breast cancer patients, and decision-making for women with DCIS undergoing breast-conservation therapy. He also obtained a master’s degree in clinical research methods at Loyola.
Dr. Albuquerque heads our Department of Radiation Oncology gynecology team and continues research in brachytherapy and gynecological and breast tumors. His main area of interest are epidemiology, quality-of-life issues, and outcome studies and clinical trials incorporating radiation for gynecological cancers.
- Medical School
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, India (1984)
- Maimonides Medical Center (1998), General Surgery
- State University of New York at Brooklyn (2002), Radiation Oncology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (2007), Epidemiology
- Bone marrow-sparing techniques for pelvic radiation
- Brachytherapy outcomes for gynecological cancers
- SABR for gynecological cancers, in combination with immunotherapy
- Defining the Place of Adjuvant Chemotherapy and Radiation for High-Risk Endometrial Cancer From Recent Randomized Clinical Trials: Some Answers, More Questions.
- Albuquerque K, Chino J, Klopp A, Kamrava M, Beriwal S Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2018 Nov 102 3 473-477
- Quality Improvements of Veterans Health Administration Radiation Oncology Services Through Partnership for Accreditation With the ACR.
- Kapoor R, Moghanaki D, Rexrode S, Monzon B, Ray M, Hulick PR, Albuquerque K, Rosenthal SA, Palta JR, Hagan MP J Am Coll Radiol 2018 Aug
- Value of combined adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation on survival for stage III uterine cancer: is less radiation equal to more?
- Wang CJ, Christie A, Folkert MR, Xie XJ, Albuquerque K J Gynecol Oncol 2018 Jul 29 4 e49
- Prognostic Significance of Nodal Location and Ratio in Stage IIIC Endometrial Carcinoma Among a Multi-Institutional Academic Collaboration.
- Mayadev J, Elshaikh MA, Christie A, Nagel C, Kennedy V, Khan N, Lea J, Ghanem A, Miller D, Xie XJ, Folkert M, Albuquerque K Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2018 Apr
- Electronic Medical Record-Based Radiation Oncology Toxicity Recording Instrument Aids Benchmarking and Quality Improvement in the Clinic.
- Albuquerque K, Rodgers K, Spangler A, Rahimi A, Willett D J Oncol Pract 2018 Feb JOP2017025163
- Safety and efficacy of concurrent immune checkpoint inhibitors and hypofractionated body radiotherapy.
- Mohamad O, Diaz de Leon A, Schroeder S, Leiker A, Christie A, Zhang-Velten E, Trivedi L, Khan S, Desai NB, Laine A, Albuquerque K, Iyengar P, Arriaga Y, Courtney K, Gerber DE, Hammers H, Choy H, Timmerman R, Brugarolas J, Hannan R Oncoimmunology 2018 7 7 e1440168
- Predicting severe hematologic toxicity from extended-field chemoradiation of para-aortic nodal metastases from cervical cancer.
- Yan K, Ramirez E, Xie XJ, Gu X, Xi Y, Albuquerque K Pract Radiat Oncol 2017 Jul
- Reduced toxicity with equivalent outcomes using three-dimensional volumetric (3DV) image-based versus nonvolumetric point-based (NV) brachytherapy in a cervical cancer population.
- Thomas KM, Maquilan G, Stojadinovic S, Medin P, Folkert MR, Albuquerque K Brachytherapy 2017 Jun
- Automated high-dose rate brachytherapy treatment planning for a single-channel vaginal cylinder applicator.
- Zhou Y, Klages P, Tan J, Chi Y, Stojadinovic S, Yang M, Hrycushko B, Medin P, Pompos A, Jiang S, Albuquerque K, Jia X Phys Med Biol 2017 Feb
- Adjuvant External Radiation Impacts Outcome of Pelvis-limited Stage III Endometrial Carcinoma: A Multi-institutional Study.
- Albuquerque K, Folkert M, Mayadev J, Christie A, Liotta MR, Nagel C, Sevak P, Harkenrider MM, Lea JS, Hanna RK, Small WC, Miller DS, Xie XJ, Potkul RK, Elshaikh MA Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2017 Feb
Gynecologic Cancers. In Gynecologic Cancers (Part of the Medical Radiology book series)
Albuquerque, K., Leung, E, Mayr, N. (2016). Switzerland, Springer International Publishing
Vulva Cancer. In Decision Making in Radiation Oncology: Volume 2
Albuquerque, K., J. J. Lu, W. L. Brady (2011). New York, Springer
- ASCO Annual Meeting Scientific Program Committee (2019)
- Chinese Clinical Oncology Journal (2019)
- Parkland Cancer Committee Member (2019)
- NRG RT Translational Committee (2018)
- Red Journal for Gynecology (2018)
- ASTRO MDQA Committee (2017)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) (2011)
- American Brachytherapy Society (2004-2006)
- American Brachytherapy Society (ABS) (1998)
- American College of Radiology (ACR) (1998)
- American Society of Therapeutic Radiology (ASTRO) (1998)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) (1998)