Dr. Kevin Albuquerque earned his medical degree through Bombay University, India. This was followed by a residency and training in surgical oncology in Bombay and Nottingham U.K where he obtained his F.R.C.S. In the U.S., he completed his residency in Radiation Oncology at S.U.N.Y University Hospital in Brooklyn, NY, and was board-certified in 2002.
Subsequently from 2002-2012, he was on faculty with Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago, where he treated women with gynecological and breast cancers and was Clinical Director and Section Chief in Radiation Oncology for these sites. Besides being awarded a Loyola Cancer Center grant for research comparing breast brachytherapy with external radiotherapy, he was in collaboration on several funded NIH grants looking at translational effects of breast radiation on immune markers, psychoneuroimmunology in breast cancer patients, and decision-making for women with DCIS undergoing breast-conservation therapy. He also obtained a master’s degree in clinical research methods at Loyola.
Dr. Albuquerque heads our Department of Radiation Oncology gynecology team and continues research in brachytherapy and gynecological and breast tumors. His main area of interest are epidemiology, quality-of-life issues, and outcome studies and clinical trials incorporating radiation for gynecological cancers.
- Medical School
- Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, India (1984)
- Maimonides Medical Center (1998), General Surgery
- State University of New York at Brooklyn (2002), Radiation Oncology
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (2007), Epidemiology
- Bone marrow-sparing techniques for pelvic radiation
- Brachytherapy outcomes for gynecological cancers
- SABR for gynecological cancers, in combination with immunotherapy
- Correlating Quantitative Para-Aortic Lymph Node Computed Tomography Parameters With Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography for Cervical Cancer Staging: Possible Solution for Resource Constrained Countries.
- D'Cunha P, Albuquerque K, Xi Y, Pinho DF, J Comput Assist Tomogr 2022 Apr
- The role for vaginal cuff brachytherapy boost after external beam radiation therapy in endometrial cancer.
- Griffith T, Nwachukwu C, Albuquerque K, Gaffney D, Brachytherapy 2022 Mar-Apr 21 2 177-185
- Advances in management of locally advanced cervical cancer.
- Musunuru HB, Pifer PM, Mohindra P, Albuquerque K, Beriwal S, Indian J Med Res 2022 Feb
- Does prophylactic para-aortic lymphatic irradiation improve outcomes in women with stage IIIC1 endometrial carcinoma? A multi-institutional pooled analysis.
- Yoon J, Fitzgerald H, Wang Y, Wang Q, Vergalasova I, Elshaikh MA, Dimitrova I, Damast S, Li JY, Fields EC, Beriwal S, Keller A, Kidd EA, Usoz M, Jolly S, Jaworski E, Leung EW, Donovan E, Taunk NK, Chino J, Natesan D, Russo AL, Lea JS, Albuquerque KV, Lee LJ, Hathout L, Pract Radiat Oncol 2021 Nov
- In reply to Onal et al.
- Hathout L, Elshaikh MA, Albuquerque KV, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2021 Nov 111 3 838-839
- ACR-ABS-ASTRO practice parameter for the performance of radionuclide-based high-dose-rate brachytherapy.
- Harkenrider MM, Albuquerque K, Brown D, Kamrava M, King M, Mourtada F, Orio P, Patel R, Price M, Rassiah P, Solanki AA, Small W, Schechter NR, Brachytherapy 2021 Sep
- Cosmetic Outcomes of a Phase 1 Dose Escalation Study of 5-Fraction Stereotactic Partial Breast Irradiation for Early Stage Breast Cancer.
- Rahimi A, Morgan HE, Kim DW, Zhang Y, Leitch M, Wooldridge R, Goudreau S, Haley B, Rao R, Rivers A, Spangler AE, Jones RT, Stevenson S, Staley J, Albuquerque K, Ahn C, Neufeld S, Alluri PG, Ding C, Garwood D, Seiler S, Zhao B, Gu X, Timmerman R, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2021 Jul 110 3 772-782
- Updating and Optimizing Anatomic Atlases for Elective Radiation of Para-Aortic Lymph Nodes in Cervical Cancer.
- D'Cunha P, Pinho DF, Nwachukwu C, Xi Y, Frame R, Albuquerque K, Pract Radiat Oncol 2021 May-Jun 11 3 e301-e307
- A Multi-Institutional Analysis of Adjuvant Chemotherapy and Radiation Sequence in Women With Stage IIIC Endometrial Cancer.
- Hathout L, Wang Y, Wang Q, Vergalasova I, Elshaikh MA, Dimitrova I, Damast S, Li JY, Fields EC, Beriwal S, Keller A, Kidd EA, Usoz M, Jolly S, Jaworski E, Leung EW, Donovan E, Taunk NK, Chino J, Natesan D, Russo AL, Lea JS, Albuquerque KV, Lee LJ, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2021 Mar
- NRG Oncology/RTOG Consensus Guidelines for Delineation of Clinical Target Volume for Intensity Modulated Pelvic Radiation Therapy in Postoperative Treatment of Endometrial and Cervical Cancer: An Update.
- Small W, Bosch WR, Harkenrider MM, Strauss JB, Abu-Rustum N, Albuquerque KV, Beriwal S, Creutzberg CL, Eifel PJ, Erickson BA, Fyles AW, Hentz CL, Jhingran A, Klopp AH, Kunos CA, Mell LK, Portelance L, Powell ME, Viswanathan AN, Yacoub JH, Yashar CM, Winter KA, Gaffney DK, Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2021 02 109 2 413-424
Gynecologic Cancers. In Gynecologic Cancers (Part of the Medical Radiology book series)
Albuquerque, K., Leung, E, Mayr, N. (2016). Switzerland, Springer International Publishing
Vulva Cancer. In Decision Making in Radiation Oncology: Volume 2
Albuquerque, K., J. J. Lu, W. L. Brady (2011). New York, Springer
- ASCO Annual Meeting Scientific Program Committee (2019)
- Chinese Clinical Oncology Journal (2019)
- Parkland Cancer Committee Member (2019)
- NRG RT Translational Committee (2018)
- Red Journal for Gynecology (2018)
- ASTRO MDQA Committee (2017)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) (2011)
- American Brachytherapy Society (2004-2006)
- American Brachytherapy Society (ABS) (1998)
- American College of Radiology (ACR) (1998)
- American Society of Therapeutic Radiology (ASTRO) (1998)
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) (1998)