Adriane dela Cruz, M.D., Ph.D., is an assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Dr. dela Cruz focuses on the treatment of patients with drug and alcohol addictions.
Dr. dela Cruz earned her medical and graduate degrees from the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston. Following her residency in psychiatry at UT Southwestern, she completed advanced training in addiction psychiatry at UT Southwestern. Dr. dela Cruz has been an assistant professor at UT Southwestern since she completed her training in 2016.
In addition to her clinical practice, Dr. dela Cruz is active in research and education. Her research work has been published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research and the American Journal on Addictions, among other journals. A curriculum she developed for training psychiatry residents in understanding the medical literature has been published by the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training.
Dr. dela Cruz was first drawn to addiction psychiatry during her work for her Ph.D. in neuroscience. There, she developed a passion to better understand how people lose and gain control over their behaviors. The brain regions critical to the development and maintenance of addictions include learning and memory, reward, and self-control and are thus fundamental to how we lead our lives and what makes us who we are. She has furthered this work through her medical training and the recognition that many patients with addictions suffer in silence, often ashamed to seek care and unaware of the effective medical and behavioral treatments for addictions. Dr. dela Cruz is proud of helping patients identify the treatments that work for them and partnering with patients to help them achieve and maintain sobriety, which often also involves treatment for other psychiatric illnesses like depression and anxiety. Helping patients get well is the best part of her job, and she is glad to receive feedback from patients that they trust and respect her. Her recent research projects have focused on testing the efficacy of a combination of medications for patients with methamphetamine use disorder and developing a measurement based care program to support primary care physicians in treating patients with opioid use disorder.
- Graduate School
- UT Medical Branch-Galveston (2011), Neuroscience
- Medical School
- UT Medical Branch at Galveston (2011), Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2015), Psychiatry
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2016), Addiction Psychiatry
- Drug Addiction
- Demographic and clinical characteristics of current comorbid psychiatric disorders in a randomized clinical trial for adults with stimulant use disorders.
- Warden D, Sanchez K, Greer T, Carmody T, Walker R, Dela Cruz A, Toups M, Rethorst C, Trivedi MH Psychiatry Res 2016 Sep 246 136-141
- Baseline medical comorbidities in adults randomized in the STRIDE trial for psychostimulant use disorders.
- Dela Cruz AM, Carmody T, Greer TL, Rethorst CD, Warden D, Walker R, Trivedi MH Am J Addict 2016 Apr 25 3 215-20
- Opioid addiction screening tools for patients with chronic noncancer pain.
- dela Cruz AM, Trivedi MH Tex Med 2015 Feb 111 2 61-5
- Comorbidities and race/ethnicity among adults with stimulant use disorders in residential treatment.
- Sanchez K, Chartier KG, Greer TL, Walker R, Carmody T, Rethorst CD, Ring KM, Dela Cruz AM, Trivedi MH J Ethn Subst Abuse 2015 14 1 79-95
- Self-rated measure of pain frequency, intensity, and burden: psychometric properties of a new instrument for the assessment of pain.
- dela Cruz AM, Bernstein IH, Greer TL, Walker R, Rethorst CD, Grannemann B, Carmody T, Trivedi MH J Psychiatr Res 2014 Dec 59 155-60
- Novel approach to data analysis in cocaine-conditioned place preference.
- dela Cruz AM, Herin DV, Grady JJ, Cunningham KA Behav Pharmacol 2009 Dec 20 8 720-30
Honors & Awards
- Texas Super Doctors Rising Stars(SM)
Celebrating the best doctors in Texas who have been practicing approximately 10 years or fewer (2020)
- Southwestern Academy of Teachers Office of Medical Education Fellowship
- Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments (LEAD) Program for Junior Faculty Physicians and Scientists
- American Psychiatric Association Research Colloquium for Junior Investigators
- Chairman's Research Award for Excellence in Research, Department of Psychiatry, UTSW
Awarded for outstanding research during residency (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society