The O’Donnell laboratory is focused on understanding the mechanisms that contribute to tumor initiation, progression, and metastasis. Our lab has made significant contributions to the development and utilization of in vivo and ex vivo transposon mutagenesis systems. We have identified novel genes that promote liver cancer, leukemia, and non-small cell lung cancer.
Currently, we are investigating the regulation and function of cell-surface receptors in lung cancer using molecular and biochemical studies and animal models. These studies may provide new therapeutic approaches to target cancer cells.
- Cornell University (1998), Biology
- Graduate School
- Johns Hopkins University (2005), Genetics
- CRISPR Genome Editing
- Mechanisms of lung cancer pathogenesis
- Mouse models of cancer
- SRC-2-mediated coactivation of anti-tumorigenic target genes suppresses MYC-induced liver cancer.
- Suresh S, Durakoglugil D, Zhou X, Zhu B, Comerford SA, Xing C, Xie XJ, York B, O'Donnell KA PLoS Genet. 2017 Mar 13 3 e1006650
- PROTOCADHERIN 7 Acts through SET and PP2A to Potentiate MAPK Signaling by EGFR and KRAS during Lung Tumorigenesis.
- Zhou X, Updegraff BL, Guo Y, Peyton M, Girard L, Larsen JE, Xie XJ, Zhou Y, Hwang TH, Xie Y, Rodriguez-Canales J, Villalobos P, Behrens C, Wistuba II, Minna JD, O'Donnell KA Cancer Res. 2016 Nov
- Comprehensive ex vivo transposon mutagenesis identifies genes that promote growth factor independence and leukemogenesis.
- Guo Y, Updegraff BL, Park S, Durakoglugil D, Burton V, Maddux S, Hwang TH, O'Donnell KA Cancer Res. 2015 Dec
- A Sleeping Beauty mutagenesis screen reveals a tumor suppressor role for Ncoa2/Src-2 in liver cancer.
- O'Donnell KA, Keng VW, York B, Reineke EL, Seo D, Fan D, Silverstein KA, Schrum CT, Xie WR, Mularoni L, Wheelan SJ, Torbenson MS, O'Malley BW, Largaespada DA, Boeke JD Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 May 109 21 E1377-86
- Mobilizing diversity: transposable element insertions in genetic variation and disease.
- O'Donnell KA, Burns KH Mob DNA 2010 1 1
- Therapeutic microRNA delivery suppresses tumorigenesis in a murine liver cancer model.
- Kota J, Chivukula RR, O'Donnell KA, Wentzel EA, Montgomery CL, Hwang HW, Chang TC, Vivekanandan P, Torbenson M, Clark KR, Mendell JR, Mendell JT Cell 2009 Jun 137 6 1005-17
- Mighty Piwis defend the germline against genome intruders.
- O'Donnell KA, Boeke JD Cell 2007 Apr 129 1
- Activation of transferrin receptor 1 by c-Myc enhances cellular proliferation and tumorigenesis.
- O'Donnell KA, Yu D, Zeller KI, Kim JW, Racke F, Thomas-Tikhonenko A, Dang CV Mol. Cell. Biol. 2006 Mar 26 6 2373-86
- The great MYC escape in tumorigenesis.
- Dang CV, O'donnell KA, Juopperi T Cancer Cell 2005 Sep 8 3
- c-Myc-regulated microRNAs modulate E2F1 expression
- O'Donnell KA, Wentzel EA, Zeller KI, Dang CV, Mendell JT Nature 2005 435 7043 839-43
Honors & Awards
- Friends of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Award in Cancer Research
- LUNGevity Foundation Career Development Award
- Sidney Kimmel Scholar Award
- American Cancer Society - Simmons Cancer Center New Investigator Award
- CPRIT Scholar in Cancer Research
- Damon Runyon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship Award
- AACR Scholar-in-Training Award
- AACR Scholar-in-Training Award
- Center for Regenerative Science and Medicine (2017)
- Cancer Biology Graduate Program (2011)
- Genetics and Development Graduate Program (2011)
- Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center (2011)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2001)