- Southern Methodist University (1966), Psychology
- Graduate School
- University of Oklahoma (1967), Experimental Psychology
- Graduate School
- Uni of Oklahoma-Hlth Sci Ctr (1972), Neuroscience
- Blood biomarkers are being sought for Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease and autism. Blood samples from patients with these diseases are analyzed to identify potential antibody and protein biomarkers that can be used to diagnose the diseases, and possibly identify the diseases before symptoms occur.
- Environmental links to neurodegenerative disease: role of pesticides. Pesticide exposure (e.g., Lindane and DDT) may be responsible for some cases of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.
- Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease are studied to understand the mechanisms responsible for neurodegeneration. Blood and brain tissue from patients and animal models of these diseases are used.
- Identification of candidate IgG biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease via combinatorial library screening.
- Reddy MM, Wilson R, Wilson J, Connell S, Gocke A, Hynan L, German D, Kodadek T. Cell 2011 144 132-142
- Elevated pesticide levels in the serum are associated with increased risk for Parkinson's disease.
- Richardson, J.R., Shalat, S.L., Buckley, B., Winnik, B., OSuilleabhain, P., Diaz-Arrastia, R., Reisch, J., German, D.C. Arch. Neurol. 2009 66 (7) 870-875
- Antibody biomarker for de novo Parkinson disease: attempted validation.
- Feng N, Simanski S, Islam K, Hynan LS, Kodadek T, German DC NPJ Parkinsons Dis 2018 4 28
- Serum thyroid-stimulating hormone and interleukin-8 levels in boys with autism spectrum disorder.
- Singh S, Yazdani U, Gadad B, Zaman S, Hynan LS, Roatch N, Schutte C, Marti CN, Hewitson L, German DC J Neuroinflammation 2017 Jun 14 1 113
- A search for blood biomarkers for autism: peptoids.
- Zaman S, Yazdani U, Deng Y, Li W, Gadad B, Hynan, L, Karp D, Roatch N, Schutte C, Marti CN, Hewitson L, German DC. Scientific Reports 2016
- Blood biomarker for Parkinson disease: peptoids.
- Yazdani U, Zaman S, Hynan LS, Brown LS, Dewey RB, Karp D, German DC NPJ Parkinsons Dis 2016 2
- A Search for Blood Biomarkers for Autism: Peptoids.
- Zaman S, Yazdani U, Deng Y, Li W, Gadad BS, Hynan L, Karp D, Roatch N, Schutte C, Nathan Marti C, Hewitson L, German DC Sci Rep 2016 6 19164
- The NINDS Parkinson's disease biomarker program.
- Rosenthal LS, Drake D, Alcalay R, Babcock D, Bowman FD, Chen-Plotkin A, Dawson TM, Dewey RB, German DC, Huang X, Landin B, McAuliffe M, Petyuk V, Scherzer CR, St. Hillaire-Clarke C, Sieber B-A, Sutherland M, Tarn C, West A, Vaillancourt D, Zhang J, Zhang R, Gwinn K, on behalf of the PDBP consortium Movement Disorders 2016
- The NINDS Parkinson's disease biomarkers program.
- Rosenthal LS, Drake D, Alcalay RN, Babcock D, Bowman FD, Chen-Plotkin A, Dawson TM, Dewey RB, German DC, Huang X, Landin B, McAuliffe M, Petyuk VA, Scherzer CR, Hillaire-Clarke CS, Sieber BA, Sutherland M, Tarn C, West A, Vaillancourt D, Zhang J, Gwinn K Mov. Disord. 2015 Oct
- Administration of thimerosal-containing vaccines to infant rhesus macaques does not result in autism-like behavior or neuropathology.
- Gadad BS, Li W, Yazdani U, Grady S, Johnson T, Hammond J, Gunn H, Curtis B, English C, Yutuc V, Ferrier C, Sackett GP, Marti CN, Young K, Hewitson L, German DC Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2015 Sep
Honors & Awards
- Editorial Board, npj Parkinson's Disease
- Grant Reviewer for New Jersey Governors Council for Medical Research and Treatment of Autism
- Study Section member for the National Institute on Aging
- Editorial Board, Current Molecular Pharmacology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Society for Neuroscience