Ambarish Pandey, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Ambarish Pandey, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Cardiology. He specializes in preventive cardiology and heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.
Dr. Pandey earned his medical degree at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences. He completed both his residency in internal medicine and fellowship in cardiology at UT Southwestern. He also holds a master’s degree in clinical sciences from UT Southwestern.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in cardiovascular disease, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2018.
Dr. Pandey’s research is focused on predicting and preventing heart failure at a population level. His work has particularly focused on lifestyle risk factors such as obesity and physical inactivity as potentially modifiable targets for prevention of heart failure. He is developing novel screening strategies that can identify the individuals at highest risk for heart failure and target them with effective preventive interventions.
His investigations have led to more than 100 publications in peer-reviewed journals. Additionally, he has presented his findings at scientific conferences throughout the United States.
In 2018, he was named a Texas Health Resources Clinical Scholar, an award that supports his ongoing research.
At UT Southwestern, he serves as Associate Program Director for Internal Medicine Residency Research. He also serves as attending physician in cardiology and echocardiology for rotating graduate students.
Dr. Pandey is a member of the American Heart Association (AHA), where he serves on several committees, including the Scientific Sessions Planning Committee and the Epidemiology Early Career Committee. He has received numerous AHA awards, including the 2019-20 Elizabeth Barrett-Connor Research Award and the Steven N. Blair Award for Excellence in Physical Activity Research.
Dr. Pandey’s interests outside of medicine include his family, cricket, and movies.
- Medical School
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (2009)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014), Internal Medicine
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (2017)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (2017)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2018), Cardiology
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness, Obesity and Lifestyle Intervention
- Epidemiology of Heart Failure
- Health Policies Impacting Cardiovascular Disease Care
- Outcomes and Disparaties in Care of Patients with Cardiovascular Disease
- Association of Hospital Performance Based on 30-Day Risk-Standardized Mortality Rate With Long-term Survival After Heart Failure Hospitalization: An Analysis of the Get With The Guidelines-Heart Failure Registry.
- Pandey A, Patel KV, Liang L, DeVore AD, Matsouaka R, Bhatt DL, Yancy CW, Hernandez AF, Heidenreich PA, de Lemos JA, Fonarow GC JAMA Cardiol 2018 Jun 3 6 489-497
- Sex and Race Differences in Lifetime Risk of Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction and Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction.
- Pandey A, Omar W, Ayers C, LaMonte M, Klein L, Allen NB, Kuller LH, Greenland P, Eaton CB, Gottdiener JS, Lloyd-Jones DM, Berry JD Circulation 2018 Apr 137 17 1814-1823
- Fitness in Young Adulthood and Long-Term Cardiac Structure and Function: The CARDIA Study.
- Pandey A, Allen NB, Ayers C, Reis JP, Moreira HT, Sidney S, Rana JS, Jacobs DR, Chow LS, de Lemos JA, Carnethon M, Berry JD JACC Heart Fail 2017 May 5 5 347-355
- Relationship Between Physical Activity, Body Mass Index, and Risk of Heart Failure.
- Pandey A, LaMonte M, Klein L, Ayers C, Psaty BM, Eaton CB, Allen NB, de Lemos JA, Carnethon M, Greenland P, Berry JD J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2017 Mar 69 9 1129-1142
- Factors Associated With and Prognostic Implications of Cardiac Troponin Elevation in Decompensated Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction: Findings From the American Heart Association Get With The Guidelines-Heart Failure Program.
- Pandey A, Golwala H, Sheng S, DeVore AD, Hernandez AF, Bhatt DL, Heidenreich PA, Yancy CW, de Lemos JA, Fonarow GC JAMA Cardiol 2017 Feb 2 2 136-145
- Arterial Stiffness and Risk of Overall Heart Failure, Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction, and Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction: The Health ABC Study (Health, Aging, and Body Composition).
- Pandey A, Khan H, Newman AB, Lakatta EG, Forman DE, Butler J, Berry JD Hypertension 2017 02 69 2 267-274
- Association of 30-Day Readmission Metric for Heart Failure Under the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program With Quality of Care and Outcomes.
- Pandey A, Golwala H, Xu H, DeVore AD, Matsouaka R, Pencina M, Kumbhani DJ, Hernandez AF, Bhatt DL, Heidenreich PA, Yancy CW, de Lemos JA, Fonarow GC JACC Heart Fail 2016 Dec 4 12 935-946
- Use of Pulmonary Artery Catheterization in US Patients With Heart Failure, 2001-2012.
- Pandey A, Khera R, Kumar N, Golwala H, Girotra S, Fonarow GC JAMA Intern Med 2016 Jan 176 1 129-32
- Dose Response Relationship Between Physical Activity and Risk of Heart Failure: A Meta-Analysis.
- Pandey A, Garg S, Khunger M, Darden D, Ayers C, Kumbhani DJ, Mayo HG, de Lemos JA, Berry JD Circulation 2015 Oct
- Metabolic Effects of Exercise Training Among Fitness Nonresponsive Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The HART-D Study.
- Pandey A, Swift DL, McGuire DK, Ayers CR, Neeland IJ, Blair SN, Johannsen N, Earnest CP, Berry JD, Church TS Diabetes Care 2015 Jun
Honors & Awards
- Award for Excellence in Research Addressing Cardiovascular Health Equity
American Heart Association (2018)
- Clinical Scholar Award
Texas Health Resources (2017)
- Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigators Forum Award for Clinical Research
- Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Young Investigator Award
American Heart Association (2016)
- Jay D. Coffman Early Career Investigator Award
American Heart Association (2015)
- Get With The Guidelines - HF Young Investigator Research Grant Award
American Heart Association (2014)
- American Heart Association (2018)
- American College of Cardiology (2014)