Dr. Kirkwood graduated from Yale University School of Medicine and completed her general surgical training at the University of Chicago Medical Center. She completed a fellowship in vascular surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center. Dr. Kirkwood has an interest in all areas of vascular surgery. Her research interests include radiation dose control in complex endovascular cases, the natural history and potential enlargement of iliac artery aneurysms following endovascular aneurysms following endovascular aneurysm repair for concomitant AAA, the feasibility and safety of simultaneous thoracic and abdominal endovascular aortic repair in multilevel aortic disease, and functional outcomes of limb revascularization for peripheral artery disease using heparin-coated conduits. Her clinical focus includes traditional open and endovascular abdominal and thoracic aortic surgery, carotid disease including conventional carotid endarterectomy, and carotid stenting. She also has an interest in endovascular therapies and lower extremity bypass focused on peripheral arterial disease and limb salvage. Dr. Kirkwood is a member of the Alpha Omega Honor Medical Society and is certified by the American Board of Surgery in vascular and general surgery. Dr. Melissa Kirkwood is certified as a Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation.
- Medical School
- Yale University School of Medicine (2004)
- University of Chicago (2009), General Surgery
- University of Pennsylvania Medical Center (2011), Vascular Surgery
- Feasibility and safety of simultaneous thoracic and abdominal endovascular aortic repair in multilevel aortic disease
- Functional Outcomes of limb revascularization for peripheral artery disease using heparin coated conduits
- Racial and ethnic disparities regarding outcomes following infected aortic graft explants
- Radiation dose control in complex endovascular cases
- The natural history and potential enlargement of Iliac Artery Aneurysms following Endovascular aneurysm repair for concomitant AAA
- Resistant, severe, desquamating dermatitis in a nickel allergic patient following nitinol stent placement in the popliteal artery for acute limb ischemia.
- Guerra A, Kirkwood M JVSCIT 2017 3 1 23-25
- New image-processing and noise-reduction software reduces radiation dose during complex endovascular procedures.
- Kirkwood ML, Guild JB, Arbique GM, Tsai S, Modrall JG, Anderson JA, Rectenwald J, Timaran C J. Vasc. Surg. 2016 Jul
- Lemierre's Syndrome associated Mycotic Aneurysm of the External Carotid Artery with Primary Internal Carotid Artery Occlusion in a previously healthy 18 year old female.
- Chamseddin KH, Kirkwood ML Ann Vasc Surg 2016 Jul
- Anterior Tibial Artery Pseudoaneurysm following Ankle Arthroscopy in a Hemophiliac Patient.
- Chamseddin KH, Kirkwood ML Ann Vasc Surg 2016 May
- Management of Lateral Plantar Artery Pseudoaneurysm After Penetrating Injury in Children.
- Andacheh I, Chamseddin K, Kirkwood ML Vasc Endovascular Surg 2015 Nov 49 8 247-9
- Surgeon radiation dose during complex endovascular procedures.
- Kirkwood ML, Guild JB, Arbique GM, Anderson JA, Valentine RJ, Timaran C J. Vasc. Surg. 2015 May
- Deterministic effects after fenestrated endovascular aortic aneurysm repair.
- Kirkwood ML, Arbique GM, Guild JB, Timaran C, Anderson JA, Valentine RJ J. Vasc. Surg. 2015 Jan
- Radiation Safety
- Kirkwood, ML American College of Surgeons Vascular Surgery Text 2015
- Extracranial Carotid Artery Aneurysms
- Kirkwood, ML UpToDate 2015
- Kirkwood, ML Scientific American Surgery, Decker Intellectual Properties In 2015
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Top Doctor
- S. Timothy String Award
Best Manuscript Presentation at the 2015 Annual Meeting of the Southern Association for Vascular Surgery (2015)
- Society for Vascular Surgery Women's Leadership Award
- Leadership Emerging in Academic Department (LEAD) Program, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Joint Commission (2016)
- Medical Student Education Research Advisory Committee (2016-2017)
- Society for Vascular Surgery, Committee on Consensus Guidelines for Radiation Safety (2015-2017)
- Society for Vascular Surgery, Leadership Committee (2015-2017)
- Society for Vascular Surgery, Post Graduate Committee (2015-2017)
- Southern Association for Vascular Surgery, Finance Committee (2015-2017)
- UT Southwestern Medical School Admissions Committee (2015-2017)
- UT Southwestern Mentoring Excellence Program (2015-2016)
- Society for Vascular Surgery, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (2014-2017)
- UT PACT surgery Coordinator (2014-2017)
- Vascular Surgery Fellowship (2014-2017)
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow (2013)
- American College of Surgeons, North Texas Chapter, Vascular Surgery Representative (2013-2017)
- American College of Surgeons, North Texas Chapter, Women in Surgery Representative (2013-2015)
- Association of Women Surgeons (2013)
- Society for Vascular Surgery, Vascular Education and Self-Assessment Program (VESAP3) Radiation Safety Question Writer (2013-2013)