Abhimanyu Garg, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Endocrinology. He also is a Director of Metabolic Diseases in the Center for Human Nutrition, Director of the Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases Fellowship Program, and holder of the Distinguished Chair in Human Nutrition Research.
Dr. Garg is the leading expert worldwide on lipodystrophy treatment and research. He was the first researcher to test the hormone leptin as treatment for lipodystrophy as part of a clinical trial that started at UT Southwestern in 2000. In 2014, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the drug form of leptin for treatment of generalized lipodystrophy.
Dr. Garg received his medical degree and completed his residency in internal medicine at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences. He performed fellowships in endocrinology and metabolism at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and at UT Southwestern. He joined the faculty of UT Southwestern in 1988.
Dr. Garg's research has resulted in more than 170 publications in peer-reviewed journals. His current reserach focuses on whether leptin therapy will improve metabolic complication in hypoleptinemic patients with partial lipodystrophies.
In 2014, Dr. Garg received the Jean D. Wilson, M.D. Award for excellence in scientific mentorship in the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism at UT Southwestern. He is a member of the American Diabetes Association, the Endocrine Society, the American Society of Human Genetics, and the Association of Specialty Professors, among other professional organizations.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (1978), Rotatory
- Medical School
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (1982)
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (1983), Internal Medicine
- University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine (1985), Endocrinology & Metabolism
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1987), Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Disorders of Adipose Tissue
- Insulin Resistance
- Click LAB WEBSITE link below
- For a complete listing of publications for Dr. Garg
Honors & Awards
- Silver Jubilee Oration Award
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (2003)
- Endowed Chair in Human Nutrition Research
UT Southwestern (2001)
American Society for Clinical Investigation (2000)
- Keynote Speaker
XXXVIII Annual Meeting of the Mexican Society of Endocrinology (1998)
- Keynote Speaker
8th Japan Diabetes-Lipid Research Seminar (1991)
- American Diabetes Association
- American Federation of Medical Research
- American Heart Association
- American Society of Clinical Investigation