Rita Hollaway, Ph.D., ABMM has worked for more than 30 years in the field of clinical microbiology. She serves as a director and clinical consultant of the clinical microbiology laboratories at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital and Parkland Health & Hospital System. Dr. Hollaway is a microbiology lecturer to medical students, pathology residents, clinical microbiology fellows, and infectious diseases fellows. Dr. Hollaway's interests outside of microbiology include her family, tennis, reading, and hiking.
- University of Texas at Austin (1973)
- Graduate School
- University of Texas Health Sci (1985)
- Development and/or evaluation of diagnostic methods in clinical microbiology, particularly molecular assays.
- Comparison of endoscopically-guided swab vs aspirate culture techniques in post-endoscopic sinus surgery patients: blinded, prospective analysis.
- Walgama E, Thanasumpun T, Gander R, Batra PS Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 2013 Sep 3 9 726-30
- Prompt Control of an Outbreak Caused by Extended-Spectrum ß-Lactamase-Producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Cantey JB, Sreeramoju P, Jaleel M, Treviño S, Gander R, Hynan LS, Hill J, Brown C, Chung W, Siegel JD, Sánchez PJ J. Pediatr. 2013 Apr
- Pseudo-Outbreak of Vancomycin-Resistant-Enterococcus (VRE) Colonization in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Using Spectra VRE Surveillance Medium.
- Gander RM, Cavuoti D, Alatoom A, Southern P, Grant D, Salinas K, Gaffney D, Mackenzie J, Byrd L J. Clin. Microbiol. 2013 Mar 51 3 810-3
- Controlling outbreak of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium among infants caused by an endemic strain in adult inpatients.
- Pusch T, Kemp D, Trevino S, Button T, Sanchez P, Gander R, Sreeramoju P American journal of infection control 2012 Jun
Molecular Testing for Infectious Disease.. In Handbook of Clinical Pathology
Rogers, B.B., R.M. Gander, R.W. McKenna and J.H. Keffer (Ed.) (2000). Chicago, Illinois, ASCP Press, American Society of Clinical Pathologists
Honors & Awards
- Dean's List at University of Texas
- Dean's List at University of Houston
- Distinguished Service Award, 2000, Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology
- S.E. Sulkin Award for Outstanding Student Paper, 1985, Texas Branch of American Society for Microbiology (Fall), San Antonio, Texas
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (1992)
- American Board of Medical Microbiology (1990)
- Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology (1989)
- American Society for Microbiology (1981)
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (1975)