Rita Hollaway, Ph.D., ABMM has worked for more than 30 years in the field of clinical microbiology. She serves as a director and clinical consultant of the clinical microbiology laboratories at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital and Parkland Health & Hospital System. Dr. Hollaway is a microbiology lecturer to medical students, pathology residents, clinical microbiology fellows, and infectious diseases fellows. Dr. Hollaway's interests outside of microbiology include her family, tennis, reading, and hiking.
- University of Texas at Austin (1973)
- Graduate School
- University of Texas Health Sci (1985)
- Development and/or evaluation of diagnostic methods in clinical microbiology, particularly molecular assays.
- Evaluation of the Accelerate Pheno System: Results from Two Academic Medical Centers.
- Lutgring JD, Bittencourt C, McElvania TeKippe E, Cavuoti D, Hollaway R, Burd EM J. Clin. Microbiol. 2018 Apr 56 4
- Bacteremia and septic arthritis due to a nontoxigenic strain of Clostridium difficile in a patient with sickle cell disease
- Hill, E., A.D. Workman, F. Lee, R. Hollaway, D. Cavuoti, B.C. Prokesch OFID 2018 5 2
- Acinetobacter infections and outcomes at an academic medical center: a disease of long-term care.
- Townsend J, Park AN, Gander R, Orr K, Arocha D, Zhang S, Greenberg DE Open Forum Infect Dis 2015 Jan 2 1 ofv023
- Cardiobacterium valvarum, an Emerging New HACEK Organism, as the Causative Agent of Infective Endocarditis: Case Report and Review of the Literature
- Tobias Pusch, M.D.a, b, Mark A. Fisher, Ph.D.c, Rita M. Gander, Ph.D Clinical Microbiology Newsletter 2015 37 16 127-132
- A case series review of Mycobacterium immunogenum infection at an academic medical center
- Kachhdiya, S., J. Le, J.P. Luby, F. Lee, R. Gander, R. Portinari, D. Arocha ofid 2015 2 Issue suppl_1 575
- Diagnostic Algorithm for the Diagnosis of Pediatric Parasitic Gastroenteritis.
- Beal SG, Couturier MR, Gander RM, Doern CD J. Clin. Lab. Anal. 2014 Dec
- Detection of Intracellular Parasites Utilizing the CellaVision DM96 on Routine Screening of Peripheral Blood Smears.
- Racsa LD, Gander RM, Southern PM, McElvania TeKippe E, Doern C, Luu HS J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 Nov
- Clinical features of West Nile virus epidemic in Dallas, Texas, 2012.
- Racsa L, Gander R, Chung W, Southern P, Le J, Beal S, Lee F, Cavuoti D, Reisch J, Alatoom A Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 2014 Feb 78 2 132-6
- Interpretation of positive molecular tests of common viruses in the cerebrospinal fluid.
- Bhaskaran A, Racsa L, Gander R, Southern P, Cavuoti D, Alatoom A Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 2013 Nov 77 3 236-40
- Evaluation of the Nanosphere Verigene Gram-Positive Blood Culture Assay with VersaTREK Blood Culture System and Assessment of Possible Impact on Selected Patients.
- Beal SG, Ciurca J, Smith G, John J, Lee F, Doern CD, Gander RM J. Clin. Microbiol. 2013 Sep
Molecular Testing for Infectious Disease.. In Handbook of Clinical Pathology
Rogers, B.B., R.M. Gander, R.W. McKenna and J.H. Keffer (Ed.) (2000). Chicago, Illinois, ASCP Press, American Society of Clinical Pathologists
Honors & Awards
- Dean's List at University of Texas
- Dean's List at University of Houston
- Distinguished Service Award, 2000, Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology
- S.E. Sulkin Award for Outstanding Student Paper, 1985, Texas Branch of American Society for Microbiology (Fall), San Antonio, Texas
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (1992)
- American Board of Medical Microbiology (1990)
- Southwestern Association of Clinical Microbiology (1989)
- American Society for Microbiology (1981)
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (1975)