Laryngology, Neurolaryngology and Professional Voice
Lesley French Childs, MD serves as Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and a Laryngologist in the Clinical Center for Voice Care. She grew up in Austin, Texas and received her undergraduate degree from Yale University. Dr. Childs completed medical school and her residency training at Vanderbilt University in Nashville. She finished a fellowship in Laryngology and Neurolaryngology at Columbia and Cornell Universities in New York City. A classically trained soprano, Dr. Childs has experience singing in various professional chamber ensembles as well as recording for Walt Disney Records.
- Undergraduate School
- Yale University (2000)
- Medical School
- Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (2005)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (2010), Otolaryngology
- The New York Center for Voice & Swallow Disorders (2011), Laryngology
- The natural history of recoverable vocal fold paralysis: Implications for kinetics of reinnervation.
- Mau T, Pan HM, Childs LF Laryngoscope 2017 Jun
- The initial evaluation and management of a professional voice user with new voice complaints.
- Childs LF, Hamilton AL. Current Otorhinolaryngology Reports 2016 183 4
- A randomized controlled trial of stretch-and-flow voice therapy for muscle tension dysphonia.
- Watts CR, Hamilton A, Toles L, Childs L, Mau T Laryngoscope 2015 Jun 125 6 1420-5
- The Effect of Stretch-and-Flow Voice Therapy on Measures of Vocal Function and Handicap.
- Watts CR, Diviney SS, Hamilton A, Toles L, Childs L, Mau T J Voice 2014 Oct
- Relationship between patient-perceived vocal handicap and clinician-rated level of vocal dysfunction.
- Childs LF, Bielinski C, Toles L, Hamilton A, Deane J, Mau T Laryngoscope 2014 Aug
- Laryngeal manifestations of relapsing polychondritis and a novel treatment option.
- Childs LF, Rickert S, Wengerman OC, Lebovics R, Blitzer A J Voice 2012 Sep 26 5 587-9
- Laryngeal electromyography for prognosis of vocal fold palsy: a meta-analysis.
- Rickert SM, Childs LF, Carey BT, Murry T, Sulica L Laryngoscope 2012 Jan 122 1 158-61
- Patient perceptions of factors leading to spasmodic dysphonia: a combined clinical experience of 350 patients.
- Childs L, Rickert S, Murry T, Blitzer A, Sulica L Laryngoscope 2011 Oct 121 10 2195-8
- Congenital rhabdomyosarcoma of the tongue: a case report and review of the literature.
- Childs LF, Goudy SL International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Extra 2010 5 126-128
- Model of evoked rabbit phonation.
- Ge PJ, French LC, Ohno T, Zealear DL, Rousseau B Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 2009 Jan 118 1 51-5
Spasmodic Dysphonia. In Otolaryngology Clinical Case Studies: Oral Board Exam Review
Childs LF, Mau T (In press). Ohio, Anadem Publishing, Inc.
Medical Management of Voice Disorders. In Encyclopedia of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Childs LF (In press). CA, Sage
Vocal Fold Scar. In Laryngology: A case-based approach
Childs LF, Mau T (In press). CA, Plural Publishing
Trigeminal Neuralgia. In Botulinum Neurotoxin Management of Head and Neck Disorders
Blitzer A, Childs LF, Alexander R (2012). NY, Thieme Publishers
Rhinitis. In Botulinum Neurotoxin Management of Head and Neck Disorders
Blitzer A, Guss J, Childs LF (2012). NY, Thieme Publishers
Movement Disorder Emergencies of the Upper Aerodigestive Tract. In Movement Disorder Emergencies
Childs L., Rickert S., Bentsianov B., Chitkara A., Cultrara A., Blitzer A. (2013). Totowa, NJ, Humana Press
Transcricothyroid Membrane Vocal Fold Injection. In Laryngeal Dissection and Surgery Guide
Rickert S, Childs L, Blitzer A (2013). NY, Thieme Publishers
Endoscopic OR-Based Injection Laryngoplasty. In Laryngeal Dissection and Surgery Guide
Childs LF, Rickert S, Blitzer A (2013). NY, Thieme Publishers
Brothers, Sing On! Conducting the Tenor-Bass Choir
Childs LF (contributing author) (2014). Wisconsin, Hal Leonard Corporation
Contributing author. In Essays On Singing
Childs LF (In Press). Ohio, Inside View Press
Hemifacial Spasm and Facial Synkinesis. In Botulinum Neurotoxin Management of Head and Neck Disorders
Childs LF, Novakovic D, Gibbs S (2012). NY, Thieme Publishers
Vocal Fold Lesion. In Otolaryngology Clinical Case Studies: Oral Board Exam Review
Mau T, Childs LF (In press). Ohio, Anadem Publishing, Inc.
Correction of Facial Asymmetry. In Botulinum Toxins: Cosmetic and Clinical Applications
Rickert SM, Childs LF, Blitzer A (2017). UK, Oxford
- Society of University Otolaryngologists (2016)
- American Broncho-Esophagological Association (ABEA), active member (2015)
- Pan-American Vocology Association, voting member (2015)
- Texas Music Educators Association (2015)
- American Choral Directors Association (2012)
- American Laryngological Association, post-graduate member (2011)
- Dallas Academy of Otolaryngology (2011)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2011)
- North Texas Voice Foundation (2011)
- Texas Association of Otolaryngology (2011)
- Texas Medical Association (2011)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery (2005)