Dr. Pozo received a bachelor’s degree from the University Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France, and a Master’s degree from the University Louis Pasteur - European School of Biotechnology, Strasbourg, France. She graduated with a PhD in Molecular Neurosciences from the University College of London (UCL) - School of Pharmacy, London, UK. For her post-doctorate, she joined the Medical Research Council Laboratory for Cellular and Molecular Biology at UCL, London, UK. Dr. Pozo currently works as an Instructor at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX with a joint appointment in the Departments of Neuroscience and Surgery.
Dr. Pozo's research interests are the molecular mechanisms underlying neuroendocrine tumors. In particular, she focuses on intracellular signaling mechanisms involving the protein kinase Cdk5, the receptor tyrosine kinase RET and the transcription factor ASCL1. In her studies, Dr. Pozo employs an integrative approach that comprises biochemical analysis, cell culture and genetically-modified mouse models. Notably, she has characterized a novel animal model for medullary thyroid carcinoma for the exploration of signal transduction pathways causing this neuroendocrine tumor of the thyroid gland and development of treatments.
- Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Preclinical Models
- Signal Transduction
- Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Targeted therapies
- Thyroid cancer
- The Emerging Role of Cdk5 in Cancer.
- Pozo K, Bibb JA Trends Cancer 2016 Oct 2 10 606-618
- Differential expression of cell cycle regulators in CDK5-dependent medullary thyroid carcinoma tumorigenesis.
- Pozo K, Hillmann A, Augustyn A, Plattner F, Hai T, Singh T, Ramezani S, Sun X, Pfragner R, Minna JD, Cote GJ, Chen H, Bibb JA, Nwariaku FE Oncotarget 2015 May 6 14 12080-93
- Breaking Bad: how does a neuronal protein cause neuroendocrine cancer?
- Pozo K, Nwariaku FE, Bibb JA Oncotarget 2014 Jan 5 1 5-6
- The role of Cdk5 in neuroendocrine thyroid cancer.
- Pozo K, Castro-Rivera E, Tan C, Plattner F, Schwach G, Siegl V, Meyer D, Guo A, Gundara J, Mettlach G, Richer E, Guevara JA, Ning L, Gupta A, Hao G, Tsai LH, Sun X, Antich P, Sidhu S, Robinson BG, Chen H, Nwariaku FE, Pfragner R, Richardson JA, Bibb JA Cancer Cell 2013 Oct 24 4 499-511
- Cdk5 Modulates Long-Term Synaptic Plasticity and Motor Learning in Dorsolateral Striatum.
- Hernandez A, Tan C, Mettlach G, Pozo K, Plattner F, Bibb JA Sci Rep 2016 6 29812
- Memory enhancement by targeting Cdk5 regulation of NR2B.
- Plattner F, Hernández A, Kistler TM, Pozo K, Zhong P, Yuen EY, Tan C, Hawasli AH, Cooke SF, Nishi A, Guo A, Wiederhold T, Yan Z, Bibb JA Neuron 2014 Mar 81 5 1070-83
- ß3 integrin interacts directly with GluA2 AMPA receptor subunit and regulates AMPA receptor expression in hippocampal neurons.
- Pozo K, Cingolani LA, Bassani S, Laurent F, Passafaro M, Goda Y Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 Jan 109 4 1323-8
- N-acetylglucosamine transferase is an integral component of a kinesin-directed mitochondrial trafficking complex.
- Brickley K, Pozo K, Stephenson FA Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2011 Jan 1813 1 269-81
- Unraveling mechanisms of homeostatic synaptic plasticity.
- Pozo K, Goda Y Neuron 2010 May 66 3 337-51
- A vesicle superpool spans multiple presynaptic terminals in hippocampal neurons.
- Staras K, Branco T, Burden JJ, Pozo K, Darcy K, Marra V, Ratnayaka A, Goda Y Neuron 2010 Apr 66 1 37-44
Honors & Awards
- Lung Cancer SPORE Career Enhancement Program Award
- NANETS Early Career Development Award
- AACR (2013)
- NANETS (2011)