Dr. David Fixler is Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He received a Master of Science Degree in Epidemiology from the University of London in 1982. Since that time his major research has focused on the epidemiology of congenital heart disease and most recently environmental epidemiology of exposures associated with birth defects of the heart.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1964)
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatrics
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatric Cardiology
- University of California at San Francisco (1971), Cardiovascular Medicine
- Epidemiology of congenital heart disease
- Proceedings: Influence of hypertonic mannitol on regional myocardial blood flow during and in the absence of acute myocardial ischaemia in the conscious intact dog.
- Hutton I, Templeton GH, Fixler DE, Willerson JT Br Heart J 1974 Apr 36 4 402
- Regional myocardial blood flow in lambs with concentric right ventricular hypertrophy.
- Archie JP, Fixler DE, Ullyot DJ, Buckberg GD, Hoffman JI Circ. Res. 1974 Feb 34 2 143-54
- Evaluation of a Doppler catheter probe to measure cardiac output.
- Fixler DE, Stage L, Rudolph AM, Buckberg GD, Archie JP J. Surg. Res. 1973 Oct 15 4 243-50
- Measurement of cardiac output with and organ trapping of radioactive microspheres.
- Archie JP, Fixler DE, Ullyot DJ, Hoffman JI, Utley JR, Carlson EL J Appl Physiol 1973 Jul 35 1 148-54
- Use of hemodialysis in the treatment of quinidine poisoning.
- Reimold EW, Reynolds WJ, Fixler DE, McElroy L Pediatrics 1973 Jul 52 1 95-9
- Effects of acute right ventricular systolic hypertension on regional myocardial blood flow in anesthetized dogs.
- Fixler DE, Archie JP, Ullyot DJ, Buckberg GD, Hoffman JI Am. Heart J. 1973 Apr 85 4 491-500
- Experimental subendocardial ischemia in dogs with normal coronary arteries.
- Buckberg GD, Fixler DE, Archie JP, Hoffman JI Circ. Res. 1972 Jan 30 1 67-81
Epidemiology of Congenital Heart Disease. In Oski's Pediatrics: Principles & Practice, 4th edition, McMillan JA, Feigin RD, DeAngelis C, Jones MD, eds.
Fixler DE (2006). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Atrioventricular septal defect. In Surgery of Congenital Heart Disease: Perspectives in Pediatric Cardiology, Moller JH, ed.
Fixler DE (1998). Wiley-Blackwell
Acyanotic Heart Disease. In Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin DL, Morriss FC, eds.
Kouatli AA, Fixler DE (1997). Churchill Livingstone
Honors & Awards
- Robert L. Moore, MD
Distinguished Service Award for Medicine, Children’s Medical Center (2000)
- The Dr. Fred Brooksaler
Pediatric Teaching Professorship (1999)
- American Heart Association Gladys Fashena Award
Outstanding contribution to Pediatric Cardiology (1991)
- Residents Teaching Awards, 1983-4, 1987-8
Awarded by Children’s Medical Center for teaching excellence (1988)
- Variety Club of Texas Humanitarian of the Year Award
Humanitarian of the Year Award (1985)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society for Transplantation
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Pediatric Research