Dr. David Fixler is Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He received a Master of Science Degree in Epidemiology from the University of London in 1982. Since that time his major research has focused on the epidemiology of congenital heart disease and most recently environmental epidemiology of exposures associated with birth defects of the heart.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1964)
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatrics
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatric Cardiology
- University of California at San Francisco (1971), Cardiovascular Medicine
- Epidemiology of congenital heart disease
- Body size, composition, and fitness in adolescents with elevated blood pressures.
- Wilson SL, Gaffney FA, Laird WP, Fixler DE Hypertension 1985 May-Jun 7 3 Pt 1 417-22
- Aortic and mitral regurgitation in an infant with Kawasaki disease.
- Freij BJ, Gessouroun M, Fixler DE, Fink CW Pediatr Cardiol 1985 6 2 95-8
- Validity of mass blood pressure screening in children.
- Fixler DE, Laird WP Pediatrics 1983 Oct 72 4 459-63
- Regional blood flows in newborn lambs during endotracheal continuous airway pressure and continuous negative pressure breathing.
- Furzan JA, Gabriele G, Wheeler JM, Fixler DE, Rosenfeld CR Pediatr. Res. 1981 May 15 5 874-8
- Left ventricular hypertrophy in adolescents with elevated blood pressure: assessment by chest roentgenography, electrocardiography, and echocardiography.
- Laird WP, Fixler DE Pediatrics 1981 Feb 67 2 255-9
- Systolic blood pressure differences among pediatric epidemiological studies.
- Fixler DE, Kautz JA, Dana K Hypertension 1980 Jul-Aug 2 4 Pt 2 I3-7
- Response of hypertensive adolescents to dynamic and isometric exercise stress.
- Fixler DE, Laird WP, Browne R, Fitzgerald V, Wilson S, Vance R Pediatrics 1979 Nov 64 5 579-83
- Regional coronary blood flow in awake resting and pharmacologically stressed dogs.
- Archie JP, Fixler DE, Hoffman JI J. Surg. Res. 1979 Jul 27 1 41-9
- Management of the child with persistently elevated blood pressure.
- Fixler DE, Laird WP Compr Ther 1979 Jun 5 6 20-5
- Cardiovascular response to isometric exercise in normal adolescents.
- Laird WP, Fixler DE, Huffines FD Circulation 1979 Apr 59 4 651-4
Epidemiology of Congenital Heart Disease. In Oski's Pediatrics: Principles & Practice, 4th edition, McMillan JA, Feigin RD, DeAngelis C, Jones MD, eds.
Fixler DE (2006). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Atrioventricular septal defect. In Surgery of Congenital Heart Disease: Perspectives in Pediatric Cardiology, Moller JH, ed.
Fixler DE (1998). Wiley-Blackwell
Acyanotic Heart Disease. In Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin DL, Morriss FC, eds.
Kouatli AA, Fixler DE (1997). Churchill Livingstone
Honors & Awards
- Robert L. Moore, MD
Distinguished Service Award for Medicine, Children’s Medical Center (2000)
- The Dr. Fred Brooksaler
Pediatric Teaching Professorship (1999)
- American Heart Association Gladys Fashena Award
Outstanding contribution to Pediatric Cardiology (1991)
- Residents Teaching Awards, 1983-4, 1987-8
Awarded by Children’s Medical Center for teaching excellence (1988)
- Variety Club of Texas Humanitarian of the Year Award
Humanitarian of the Year Award (1985)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society for Transplantation
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Pediatric Research