Dr. David Fixler is Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He received a Master of Science Degree in Epidemiology from the University of London in 1982. Since that time his major research has focused on the epidemiology of congenital heart disease and most recently environmental epidemiology of exposures associated with birth defects of the heart.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1964)
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatrics
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatric Cardiology
- University of California at San Francisco (1971), Cardiovascular Medicine
- Epidemiology of congenital heart disease
- Ethnicity and socioeconomic status: impact on the diagnosis of congenital heart disease.
- Fixler DE, Pastor P, Sigman E, Eifler CW J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1993 Jun 21 7 1722-6
- Limitations of an oscillometric ambulatory blood pressure monitor in physically active children.
- Jacoby AC, Fixler DE, Torres EJ J. Pediatr. 1993 Feb 122 2 231-6
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in hypertensive adolescents.
- Fixler DE, Wallace JM, Thornton WE, Dimmitt P Am. J. Hypertens. 1990 Apr 3 4 288-92
- Trends in congenital heart disease in Dallas County births. 1971-1984.
- Fixler DE, Pastor P, Chamberlin M, Sigman E, Eifler CW Circulation 1990 Jan 81 1 137-42
- Thrombolytic treatment with streptokinase for late intraatrial thrombosis after modified Fontan procedure.
- Mahony L, Nikaidoh H, Fixler DE Am. J. Cardiol. 1988 Aug 62 4 343-4
- Left ventricular dysfunction due to chronic right ventricular pressure overload. Resolution following percutaneous balloon valvuloplasty for pulmonic stenosis.
- Stenberg RG, Fixler DE, Taylor AL, Corbett JR, Firth BG Am. J. Med. 1988 Jan 84 1 157-61
- Global myocardial ischemia in the newborn, juvenile, and adult isolated isovolumic rabbit heart. Age-related differences in systolic function, diastolic stiffness, coronary resistance, myocardial oxygen consumption, and extracellular pH.
- Parrish MD, Payne A, Fixler DE Circ. Res. 1987 Nov 61 5 609-15
- Maturational differences in the isolated isovolumic rabbit heart.
- Parrish MD, Ayres NA, Kendrick BT, Fixler DE Am. J. Physiol. 1986 Dec 251 6 Pt 2 H1143-8
- Longitudinal blood pressures in blacks, whites, and Mexican Americans during adolescence and early adulthood.
- Barón AE, Freyer B, Fixler DE Am. J. Epidemiol. 1986 May 123 5 809-17
- Usefulness of exercise stress testing for prediction of blood pressure trends.
- Fixler DE, Laird WP, Dana K Pediatrics 1985 Jun 75 6 1071-5
Epidemiology of Congenital Heart Disease. In Oski's Pediatrics: Principles & Practice, 4th edition, McMillan JA, Feigin RD, DeAngelis C, Jones MD, eds.
Fixler DE (2006). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Atrioventricular septal defect. In Surgery of Congenital Heart Disease: Perspectives in Pediatric Cardiology, Moller JH, ed.
Fixler DE (1998). Wiley-Blackwell
Acyanotic Heart Disease. In Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin DL, Morriss FC, eds.
Kouatli AA, Fixler DE (1997). Churchill Livingstone
Honors & Awards
- Robert L. Moore, MD
Distinguished Service Award for Medicine, Children’s Medical Center (2000)
- The Dr. Fred Brooksaler
Pediatric Teaching Professorship (1999)
- American Heart Association Gladys Fashena Award
Outstanding contribution to Pediatric Cardiology (1991)
- Residents Teaching Awards, 1983-4, 1987-8
Awarded by Children’s Medical Center for teaching excellence (1988)
- Variety Club of Texas Humanitarian of the Year Award
Humanitarian of the Year Award (1985)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society for Transplantation
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Pediatric Research