Dr. David Fixler is Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He received a Master of Science Degree in Epidemiology from the University of London in 1982. Since that time his major research has focused on the epidemiology of congenital heart disease and most recently environmental epidemiology of exposures associated with birth defects of the heart.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1964)
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatrics
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatric Cardiology
- University of California at San Francisco (1971), Cardiovascular Medicine
- Epidemiology of congenital heart disease
- Relation between ambient air quality and selected birth defects, seven county study, Texas, 1997-2000.
- Gilboa SM, Mendola P, Olshan AF, Langlois PH, Savitz DA, Loomis D, Herring AH, Fixler DE Am. J. Epidemiol. 2005 Aug 162 3 238-52
- Epidemiology of noncomplex left ventricular outflow tract obstruction malformations (aortic valve stenosis, coarctation of the aorta, hypoplastic left heart syndrome) in Texas, 1999-2001.
- McBride KL, Marengo L, Canfield M, Langlois P, Fixler D, Belmont JW Birth Defects Res. Part A Clin. Mol. Teratol. 2005 Aug 73 8 555-61
- Trisomy 21 and congenital heart disease: effect of timing of initial echocardiogram.
- Ghaffar S, Lemler MS, Fixler DE, Ramaciotti C Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2005 Jan-Feb 44 1 39-42
- Effect of proximity to hazardous waste sites on the development of congenital heart disease.
- Malik S, Schecter A, Caughy M, Fixler DE Arch. Environ. Health 2004 Apr 59 4 177-81
- Cardiopulmonary bypass to repair an atrial septal defect does not affect cognitive function in children.
- Stavinoha PL, Fixler DE, Mahony L Circulation 2003 Jun 107 21 2722-5
- The role of the right ventricle during hypobaric hypoxic exercise: insights from patients after the Fontan operation.
- Garcia JA, McMinn SB, Zuckerman JH, Fixler DE, Levine BD Med Sci Sports Exerc 1999 Feb 31 2 269-76
- Prenatal exposures and congenital heart defects in Down syndrome infants.
- Fixler DE, Threlkeld N Teratology 1998 Jul 58 1 6-12
- Respiratory syncytial virus infection in children with congenital heart disease: a review.
- Fixler DE Pediatr Cardiol 1996 May-Jun 17 3 163-8
- Ambulatory blood pressure in patients with occult recurrent coarctation of the aorta.
- Parrish MD, Torres E, Peshock R, Fixler DE Pediatr Cardiol 1995 Jul-Aug 16 4 166-71
- Cognitive function in children who receive organ transplantation.
- Stewart SM, Kennard BD, Waller DA, Fixler D Health Psychol 1994 Jan 13 1 3-13
Epidemiology of Congenital Heart Disease. In Oski's Pediatrics: Principles & Practice, 4th edition, McMillan JA, Feigin RD, DeAngelis C, Jones MD, eds.
Fixler DE (2006). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Atrioventricular septal defect. In Surgery of Congenital Heart Disease: Perspectives in Pediatric Cardiology, Moller JH, ed.
Fixler DE (1998). Wiley-Blackwell
Acyanotic Heart Disease. In Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin DL, Morriss FC, eds.
Kouatli AA, Fixler DE (1997). Churchill Livingstone
Honors & Awards
- Robert L. Moore, MD
Distinguished Service Award for Medicine, Children’s Medical Center (2000)
- The Dr. Fred Brooksaler
Pediatric Teaching Professorship (1999)
- American Heart Association Gladys Fashena Award
Outstanding contribution to Pediatric Cardiology (1991)
- Residents Teaching Awards, 1983-4, 1987-8
Awarded by Children’s Medical Center for teaching excellence (1988)
- Variety Club of Texas Humanitarian of the Year Award
Humanitarian of the Year Award (1985)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society for Transplantation
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Pediatric Research