Dr. David Fixler is Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He received a Master of Science Degree in Epidemiology from the University of London in 1982. Since that time his major research has focused on the epidemiology of congenital heart disease and most recently environmental epidemiology of exposures associated with birth defects of the heart.
- Medical School
- University of Chicago (1964)
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatrics
- Children's Memorial Medical Center - Chicago (1967), Pediatric Cardiology
- University of California at San Francisco (1971), Cardiovascular Medicine
- Epidemiology of congenital heart disease
- Prenatal Diagnosis, Birth Location, Surgical Center, and Neonatal Mortality in Infants with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome.
- Morris SA, Ethen MK, Penny DJ, Canfield MA, Minard CG, Fixler DE, Nembhard WN Circulation 2013 Oct
- Racial/ethnic disparities in timing of death during childhood among children with congenital heart defects.
- Nembhard WN, Xu P, Ethen MK, Fixler DE, Salemi JL, Canfield MA Birth Defects Res. Part A Clin. Mol. Teratol. 2013 Oct 97 10 628-40
- The importance of the muscle and ventilatory blood pumps during exercise in patients without a subpulmonary ventricle (Fontan operation).
- Shafer KM, Garcia JA, Babb TG, Fixler DE, Ayers CR, Levine BD J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2012 Nov 60 20 2115-21
- Use of a highly sensitive assay for cardiac troponin T and N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide to diagnose acute rejection in pediatric cardiac transplant recipients.
- Dyer AK, Barnes AP, Fixler DE, Shah TK, Sutcliffe DL, Hashim I, Drazner MH, de Lemos JA Am. Heart J. 2012 Apr 163 4 595-600
- Racial/Ethnic disparities in risk of early childhood mortality among children with congenital heart defects.
- Nembhard WN, Salemi JL, Ethen MK, Fixler DE, Dimaggio A, Canfield MA Pediatrics 2011 May 127 5 e1128-38
- Mortality among infants with birth defects: Joint effects of size at birth, gestational age, and maternal race/ethnicity.
- Nembhard WN, Salemi JL, Ethen MK, Fixler DE, Canfield MA Birth Defects Res. Part A Clin. Mol. Teratol. 2010 Sep 88 9 728-36
- Infliximab treatment of intravenous immunoglobulin-resistant Kawasaki disease.
- Burns JC, Best BM, Mejias A, Mahony L, Fixler DE, Jafri HS, Melish ME, Jackson MA, Asmar BI, Lang DJ, Connor JD, Capparelli EV, Keen ML, Mamun K, Keenan GF, Ramilo O J. Pediatr. 2008 Dec 153 6 833-8
- Pulse oximetry screening at 4 hours of age to detect critical congenital heart defects.
- Sendelbach DM, Jackson GL, Lai SS, Fixler DE, Stehel EK, Engle WD Pediatrics 2008 Oct 122 4 e815-20
- Aspirin resistance in children with heart disease at risk for thromboembolism: prevalence and possible mechanisms.
- Heistein LC, Scott WA, Zellers TM, Fixler DE, Ramaciotti C, Journeycake JM, Lemler MS Pediatr Cardiol 2008 Mar 29 2 285-91
- Antibodies against donor human leukocyte antigens and the outcome of cardiac allografts in adults and children.
- Stastny P, Lavingia B, Fixler DE, Yancy CW, Ring WS Transplantation 2007 Sep 84 6 738-45
Epidemiology of Congenital Heart Disease. In Oski's Pediatrics: Principles & Practice, 4th edition, McMillan JA, Feigin RD, DeAngelis C, Jones MD, eds.
Fixler DE (2006). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Atrioventricular septal defect. In Surgery of Congenital Heart Disease: Perspectives in Pediatric Cardiology, Moller JH, ed.
Fixler DE (1998). Wiley-Blackwell
Acyanotic Heart Disease. In Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin DL, Morriss FC, eds.
Kouatli AA, Fixler DE (1997). Churchill Livingstone
Honors & Awards
- Robert L. Moore, MD
Distinguished Service Award for Medicine, Children’s Medical Center (2000)
- The Dr. Fred Brooksaler
Pediatric Teaching Professorship (1999)
- American Heart Association Gladys Fashena Award
Outstanding contribution to Pediatric Cardiology (1991)
- Residents Teaching Awards, 1983-4, 1987-8
Awarded by Children’s Medical Center for teaching excellence (1988)
- Variety Club of Texas Humanitarian of the Year Award
Humanitarian of the Year Award (1985)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society for Transplantation
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Pediatric Research