John Fitzgerald, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. He is the Medical Director for UTSW’s Interstitial Lung Disease Program and clinical chief of service for pulmonary diseases at Parkland Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Fitzgerald earned his medical degree at Washington University in St. Louis and completed his residency in internal medicine at UT Southwestern. He performed his fellowship in pulmonary and critical care medicine at the University of Colorado Health Science Center.
He joined the faculty of UT Southwestern in 1995, and is board certified in pulmonary medicine and critical care medicine. He holds the Elaine Dewey Sammons Chair in Pulmonary Research.
Dr. Fitzgerald is active in clinical research as well as patient care. As UT Southwestern’s principal investigator for IPFnet, he oversees clinical trials that aim to find new therapies for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, a disease that currently has poor outcomes. He’s also involved in clinical trials related to sarcoidosis and other autoimmune diseases.
U.S.News & World Report named Dr. Fitzgerald to its Best Doctors list in 2012. He is also a Texas Monthly Super Doctor and a D Magazine Best Doctor.
- Medical School
- Washington University in St. Louis (1989)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1992), Internal Medicine
- University of Colorado School of Medicine (1995), Pulmonary/critical
- Interstitial lung disease
Honors & Awards
- Castle Connolly Medical Ltd Top Doctors
- U.S. News & World Report Best Doctors
- Biltmore "Who’s Who in America"
- America's Top Physicians: Consumer's Research Council of America
- Texas Super Doctors
- Best Doctors in America
- D Magazine list: Best Doctors in Dallas
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, Washington Univ
- International Biographical Centre Leading Health Professionals of the World 2014
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians (2011)
- American Thoracic Society
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association